E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Abrieb Chip Tuning AND Sprint Booster???

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 03:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E61, Nov-2005. M-steering wheel +sport seats. Panoramic roof, Lighting package, Xenon, Adaptive headlights, Prof. navigation, CD changer, Voice control, Bluetooth, Heated seats, 128 alloys -18 inch, B&W Tuning (hounslow)

Hi All
So basically as per the previouw threat I launched about the Abrieb Tuning Device I did made the comment in there stating that the device works great however that I'm still missing throttle in the first 1500 rpm range. Very frustrating (I have a 2005 525d Touring). Now user xBMWx commented that to solve this I would need a sprint booster. Basically I have 2 questions

1) Will the 2 devices work together (I know one is fitted in the engine bay and one under the gaspedal, but still. Would they work well together)?
2) The Sprint booster: Is there additional risk of for example blowing up the Turbo?

Thanks for your thoughts

PS I would assume if this combo goes well I might actually have a cheap alternative to engine remapping? The Abrieb tuning device was about ?80 and the Sprint booster on Ebay costs about ?170. So total ?250 vs the often ?800+ remaps
Old 08-18-2008, 05:57 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

The Sprint Booster changes the voltage signal going from the electronic throttle to the engine mgt system. As far as I could tell from the posts I read here, it does not actually go above the maximum voltage you would get when you floor the throttle, it simply gives a higher voltage sooner than normal. E.g. when pressing the pedal 70% you are already at 100%, when pressing the pedal 10% your are already at 50%. I'm not sure what the exact ratios are, but you get the idea! Your Abrieb device is further down the chain so will simply get a message from the engine management system as to how much fuel should be provided to the engine based upon the signal given by the throttle, so it would be as if you were accelerating hard, but not going above the factory maximum levels. Add these devices will mean you are putting more strain on the car, but I cannot judge if it is going to be going beyond the factory maximums the car has been tested to deal with and if the extra strain will shorten the life of the components

I have no technical background, so can only apply (limited!) logic to the question. No doubt other members here can provide a more specific / technical response...