E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

A6 Avant Comparison...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie here and this is my first post. I'm considering getting either an SUV or another wagon to replace my '04 E500 as we have a kid on the way. My wife drives an '02 Audi allroad. If it comes to a wagon, its likely between the A6 avant and the 530xi touring.

Anyone compare the two. Also, for those of you with little ones, does having two wagons work for you or is an SUV really needed?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

If you enjoy driving, forget an SUV and get a real car.

Both the 5 series touring and A6 are excellent "wagons" (or "estate cars" in UK speak). Matter of preference comes in - IMHO the Audi interior is much smarter and better put together, also reportedly their i-drive equivalent is better (but no direct experience personally).
On the other hand, whilst the gap has closed a lot with the latest A6, the BM still has a clear advantage in terms of driver "feel"
Old 02-14-2006, 01:40 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 525i SE Touring Automatic - Titanium Grey II, Auburn-Dakota Leather, 17" Light Alloy Wheels Star-Spoke Styling 138, Anthracite Headlining, Maple Wood, Electric Front Seats, Front Seat Heating, Automatic Air Conditioning Advanced, Navigation System Professional, Bluetooth phone prep, Professional radio, Hi-Fi Loudspeaker system, Park Distance Control, Rear Side Airbags, Side Blinds

Don't go for SUV unless you live in an area where road-clearance is key and an Avant or Touring won't do.

I've tried the A6 Avant and 5 series Touring. Both are very, very good cars in my opinion. It comes down which one you like better. My preferance was the BMW because the car 'feels' right to me in terms of steering, roadholding etc. The A6 feels less direct, softer and less of a drivers car.

No matter which one you like better - you should try yourself - any of them are better than a SUV. They offer more or less the same space as an X5, consume less fuel and don't drive like a truck .

That said two estate cars in the family (with 2 kids) is a bit boring - I speak from experience - my wife drives a 3 series Touring and I currently drive an 'old' 5 series Touring ... but there you go.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

I would go for the 530xi. When I bought mine I considered the A6 3.2 but I choose the BMW because of the handling and also that it feels like a more genuine car. No concerning skipping the 4-wheel drive and go for the 535d?
Good luck
Old 03-03-2006, 06:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 Limo with M-Sport package(m5 mirrors,m5 trunk finisher,m172 summer wheels,blk front grills,m5 paddle shift kit(my530i),m pedal covers,m floor mats, E87 2005 The Misses car E39 2002 Touring with M-Sport package/family wagon(gone but not forgotten)

Originally Posted by new-kid' post='240257' date='Feb 14 2006, 11:20 PM
If you enjoy driving, forget an SUV and get a real car.

Both the 5 series touring and A6 are excellent "wagons" (or "estate cars" in UK speak). Matter of preference comes in - IMHO the Audi interior is much smarter and better put together, also reportedly their i-drive equivalent is better (but no direct experience personally).
On the other hand, whilst the gap has closed a lot with the latest A6, the BM still has a clear advantage in terms of driver "feel"
Agree with new-kid, A6 is nicer inside, but the ride of the BMW is just
Old 03-03-2006, 06:48 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 523i M Sport Touring (Auto) - Silver Grey VW Touareg 2.5tdi Sport (Auto) - Shadow Blue

Originally Posted by Berlin.BMER' post='249215' date='Mar 3 2006, 03:23 PM
Agree with new-kid, A6 is nicer inside, but the ride of the BMW is just
agreed!! Had my E61 for 3 days now and can concur its ride is just
Old 03-03-2006, 06:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by PUZZ1' post='240239' date='Feb 14 2006, 09:34 PM
Newbie here and this is my first post. I'm considering getting either an SUV or another wagon to replace my '04 E500 as we have a kid on the way. My wife drives an '02 Audi allroad. If it comes to a wagon, its likely between the A6 avant and the 530xi touring.

Anyone compare the two. Also, for those of you with little ones, does having two wagons work for you or is an SUV really needed?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
I test drove the avant - it's definately more roomy than the BMW, but isn't nearly as sharp. I also think the audi equipment lists are weak compared to the equivalent BMW.

But then I have a thing for BMW
Old 03-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: MY 2004 545i Touring, High Executive Line, Comfort Line II, Vision Line II (Dutch specced Packages), Color: Oxford Green. Interior: Black/Black leather. Trim: Dark Popular wood. Gear: Steptronic 6-speed Other options not incuded in above packages: M-Sport aero kit, sports suspension, heated steering wheel, rear side-airbags, front screen with green upper part, panorama roof, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels with Dunlop RFT's, HiFi Pro/LOGIC7, alarm class 3, heated seats rear and voice recognition. Waiting for february delivery of 325i Touring and 130i

I owned both an X5 4.4i and 545iTouring. The (only) advantage of the X5 SUV is the high position of the seats. it gives great comfort while driving. Although a Bimmer, the X5 drive quality is not the same league as the E61 Touring.

A new Audi Allroad will be very launched soon. (it is currently a the Geneva Auto Show). If you need the space (only) and like the high drivers position go for the Q7 or wait for the new X5 (launch end 2006/beginning 2007). (7 seats will be available)

Build quality of any Audi and materials used is better than with BMW. I allways say: "if you buy a car with eyes open, get a Audi.When closed go for the Bimmer". latter drives and breaks better.

BTW: recent impressions show again that drive quality of the Audi Q7 is not of same league as the X5 and Cayenne. (it is just to big and long.

difficult considerations... testdrive both 530iX and new A6 Allroad.

success,. M
Old 03-06-2006, 02:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mhoutman' post='250493' date='Mar 6 2006, 07:15 AM
latter drives and breaks better.
how very true my friend
Old 03-08-2006, 04:35 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mhoutman' post='250493' date='Mar 6 2006, 02:15 AM
difficult considerations... testdrive both 530iX and new A6 Allroad.

success,. M
I don't know where PUZZ1 is from, but the latest word is that Audi will not import the new Allroad to the US. Shame.

Quick Reply: A6 Avant Comparison...