E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

535xiT Hamann Lowering Springs - Rear Height

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 06:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xiT M Sport

I just had the local BMW Dealer install the Hamann lowering springs on my 2008 535xiT.

The ride is quite a bit stiffer ... though not unbearable. And it should be better after I lose the RFTs next week.

What's strange is that they set the lower height exactly the same as the front height (~660mm to the fender). Anyone have any thoughts on this? Should the rear have been set higher by the dealer, and if so would this smooth out the ride a bit? Thanks, John
Old 03-30-2009, 08:56 PM
HUK
Members

My Ride: [color=#FF0000]Current car: [/color] 2006 530xiT, Jet Black, Black int., Black liner, panoramic roof, premium/sports/cold wheater packages, park assist, Sirius, NAV, keyless. [color=#FF0000]Wheels: [/color] 19 x 8.5 ET 40, General Exclaim UHP 245/35-19

Would you mind posting a picture? I'm thinking about getting a new 535xit and this time I really want to have stiffer springs. Are you saying your car autmatically lowered itself in the back after the front got the lower springs? thank you.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by HUK' post='831388' date='Mar 31 2009, 12:56 AM
Would you mind posting a picture? I'm thinking about getting a new 535xit and this time I really want to have stiffer springs. Are you saying your car autmatically lowered itself in the back after the front got the lower springs? thank you.
Just as an FYI, the Hamann Springs are the same as the H&R's. In fact, H&R makes all of Hamann's Springs and relabels it. The H&R's are half the price, if not less.

Visit www.allsprings.com for them. This is a division of TurnerMotorSports.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:10 AM
Members

I don't think gorrilamunch is following the forums now.

I pm'ed him asking about his 19" wheel setup and in that exchange he told me the springs had made the ride too harsh so he removed them.

I expect he had the dealer program the Electronic Height Control (EHC) module to lower the rear.

I would like to see a pic of his car both lowered and not.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Members

I'm also curious- Did they replace anything in the rear? Air suspension replaced with springs or stiffened?

Pete
Old 04-22-2009, 10:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by jdoug' post='831905' date='Mar 31 2009, 03:10 PM
... he told me the springs had made the ride too harsh so he removed them.
So another dissatisfied H&R xi customer.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='856102' date='Apr 23 2009, 02:22 AM
So another dissatisfied H&R xi customer.
That does seem to be a trend.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by gpfarrell' post='861146' date='Apr 27 2009, 08:43 PM
That does seem to be a trend.
I recently did the H&R thing on my wagon. The ride is bouncier due to the fact that to really drop the car and maintain a similar ride feel, the shocks would need different valving to match the H&R spring rate.

I DIY'd the rear myself and it came down a little lower than the front, just tricked the sensors. If it was the same height, I would be fine with that too. Not sure that you'd notice much difference is the height was set a little lower or not as far as the ride is concerned. Sorry, kind of crappy pic from my iphone.

535xiT Hamann Lowering Springs - Rear Height-img_0286.jpg
Old 05-13-2009, 09:44 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: '04 E61 525d TITANGRAU II METALLIC (A36) LEDER DAKOTA/BEIGE 3 (LCBA) SIDE AIRBAG FOR REAR PASSENGERS ALARM SYSTEM ROOF RAIL SUNBLINDS FOR REAR SIDE WINDOWS, MECH FLOOR MATS, VELOUR INT/EXT RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE INTERIOR RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE WOOD TRIM CUPHOLDER SEAT HEATING F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER HEADLIGHT WASHER SYSTEM PARK DISTANCE CONTROL (PDC) XENON LIGHT ADAPTIVE HEADLIGHTS AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING CRUISE CONTROL NAVIGATION SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL CAR TELEPHONE PROFESSIONAL CD CHANGER BMW FOR 6 CDS

Can you post some more information about lowering the rear suspension? I was wondering if this is an easy DIY? Witch sensors need to be "tricked"? I'm I have just bought an E61 too and am planning on dropping it a little. I don't have it yet (picking it up on saturday) so I haven't got a chance to take a look under the car.

Maybe there is a DIY about it allready written here somewhere but I've searched quite some time and didn't find one.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Bimmerstyle' post='877979' date='May 13 2009, 10:44 PM
Can you post some more information about lowering the rear suspension? I was wondering if this is an easy DIY? Witch sensors need to be "tricked"? I'm I have just bought an E61 too and am planning on dropping it a little. I don't have it yet (picking it up on saturday) so I haven't got a chance to take a look under the car.

Maybe there is a DIY about it allready written here somewhere but I've searched quite some time and didn't find one.
Forgive me as I didn't plan on doing a DIY on this but I'll give it a try:
Jack up the car, take the wheel off and you'll see where two plastic swing arm type of levers connect. This is the sensor that adjusts the ride height based upon how much sag the rear has from cargo.

I cut some washer/dryer metal ribbon to give some extension to the longer swing arm and bolted it up so that the arm could swing under the horizontal one attached to the sensor and the car would think it needed to lower itself. This is a picture of the passenger side of the car. The drivers side rear will need the same thing. If you swing it the wrong way you'll actually lift the car...learned that the hard way!

Personally, it's best to go to the dealer and see if they will reset the zero point as I've had my warning light come on once from hitting a bump pretty hard. But if you want the look without the dealer knowing that you've been messing around with the car then this may work for you. Note, that when my car goes tot he dealer, I put it back to stock in the rear... takes about 15 min.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: 535xiT Hamann Lowering Springs - Rear Height