E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

530d with manual 6 speed gear?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 08:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried the six-speed once and found the clutch too long. It wasn't heavy, no, but the pedal travelled really far.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

I expect you should be able to get a bargain price wise, as most buyers (rightly or wrongly) will want an auto - hence could be a cheap way of getting into a great motor
Old 01-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61, Nov-2005. M-steering wheel +sport seats. Panoramic roof, Lighting package, Xenon, Adaptive headlights, Prof. navigation, CD changer, Voice control, Bluetooth, Heated seats, 128 alloys -18 inch, B&W Tuning (hounslow)

That's true. Found one which has the same price as a 525td with same mileage etc.
Probably best thing is indeed to testdrive both. Although I'm looking for a left hand drive to be imported from Germany I'll probably go to the local dealer and see what they have there.

Thx

Originally Posted by new-kid' post='516484' date='Jan 11 2008, 04:41 PM
I expect you should be able to get a bargain price wise, as most buyers (rightly or wrongly) will want an auto - hence could be a cheap way of getting into a great motor
Old 01-20-2008, 10:25 PM
Members

My Ride: June 2002 E61 530d SE Tourer. Colour Titanium Grey II Dakota Grey Leather Maple wood trim Xenon headlights Adaptive Headlights Headlight Washers Electric/Adjustable Steering Column 6 Speed Steptronic Auto iDrive with Extended Voice Control System Professional SatNav with Professional Radio and Twin Tuner (No Tv) Front and Rear Parking sensors 6 Cd Changer Electric Seat Adjustment (Not Comfort or Sport Seats) Advanced Air Con Bluetooth Preperation Auto Dim interior Mirror Panoramic Sunroof Normal Tyres and space saver (No RFT's!)

AlywnMike wrote:

f you have driven a 530d (or 525/535d) Auto and tried to make a quick getaway from stationary, you will know the problems that occur as the engine software limits the torque to protect the drivetrain - this leads to a slow getaway, (usually when there is a 38-tonne lorry coming towards you). There are simple ways of getting round this, but it is something to be aware of - you never forget that first time that you thought that the car wasn't going to go, just creeping across the road, and then suddenly 200-odd brakehorsepower unleashes itself!!
Just noticed this comment and wondered what was the simple way to get around this problem. I have a thread on the BMWLand forum regarding 'gearbox lag' from stationary, my dealer cannot find a fault but I have arranged a meeting with him on this Wednesday. I found this "Problem" when wanting to move fast away from white van man but the car didn't respond!! at least for what seemed ages (probably less than a couple of second) and put the wind up me without a doubt!

I tried sport mode but that did not seem to make any difference, so how do you make a quick get away in an E61 530DA ??

Thanks for your help and apologies for bending the thread slightly
Old 01-21-2008, 04:41 AM
Members

I'd also like to know how to get round the pause when trying to do a fast get away from stationary.
Tried resetting gearbox, tried DS mode and manual but all the same. Only way I've found is to get moving then floor it.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 525d Tourer, Mystic Blue, beige Dakota leather, 18" alloys, xenons, etc

Go manual, I love mine on a 525d. faster and more economical.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Auto 'box Guys,

The resetting the transmission trick (holding the throttle down for 20 secs etc) won't cure the lag off the line, because that is exactly what the gearbox is designed to do, particularly with the mountainous torque that the Diesels produce at the bottom of the rev range.

The way to get round it is to use the two foot driving technique. This method of driving is recommended by many "expert" drivers (and I certainly don't count myself amongst them!!), and it is use the right foot for the throttle and the left foot for the brake. You do get used to it after a while (and with a few sharper than normal stops!!). If you are stationary at a traffic island, for instance, and need to "go for a gap", just hold the car on the footbrake, and squeeze the throttle a little, just get to around 1500 to 1800rpm. This "fools" the 'box into thinking that the car is hooked up. When the gap appears (hopefully not to long), just release the brake, and off you go, instant power, and you can use the throttle as it should be used, i.e. you don't then have to floor the throttle completely when the car doesn't move smartly.

I used this method often in my other (Auto) BMW's to good effect. As I said, you never forget the first time you are half way across an island, with a 38-tonner bearing down on you, and you are just moving slowly, then loadsa power, loadsa traction control, loadsa heartrate increase. Phew!

Of course, the ultimate cure for this is to get a Manual 'box (Traction control's still intrusive though)

Mike
Old 01-22-2008, 11:30 AM
Members

My Ride: June 2002 E61 530d SE Tourer. Colour Titanium Grey II Dakota Grey Leather Maple wood trim Xenon headlights Adaptive Headlights Headlight Washers Electric/Adjustable Steering Column 6 Speed Steptronic Auto iDrive with Extended Voice Control System Professional SatNav with Professional Radio and Twin Tuner (No Tv) Front and Rear Parking sensors 6 Cd Changer Electric Seat Adjustment (Not Comfort or Sport Seats) Advanced Air Con Bluetooth Preperation Auto Dim interior Mirror Panoramic Sunroof Normal Tyres and space saver (No RFT's!)

Thanks for that Mike, I used to use that method with my 3L Granada MkII Estate (Giving my age away a bit) But I read somewhere, probably on BMWLand that it may introduce too much internal pressure in the BMW Autobox. I suppose everything in moderation (Except HP I hasten to add ) so only when needed eh?

I had an E39 Manual 530D Tourer remapped by Emaps prior to this one and that one was fantastic and in many ways regret getting the auto. But like it in many other ways, if you get my meaning, suits some of the time doesn't at others......
Old 01-22-2008, 02:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by rsyed' post='516342' date='Jan 11 2008, 02:34 PM
sounds like you should once try the sports automatic on a 530d or a 535d - they are available as of june 07, beats anything i have driven till today, whether manual or tranny. have three letters for it. W O W
Great stuff.....I have the sports auto box ordered on my E61 530d Msport.......if the dealer ever gets around to delivering it.

Mind you, I currently have an auto E60 530d from late 03 and that's no slouch - especially if you flick it into "S". Does like to rev high in "S" though.