E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

530d. 80k coming up. What needs doing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 12:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

As above really... our car is coming up to 80,000 miles and I wondered if there's anything that's recommended to change at about this mileage?

Car is now 6 years old too. SO if there's anything that's mileage or age related, it'd be great to know if I need to change it. Before whatever it is breaks.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Senior Members

- Cleaning the inlet manifold, the EGR valve and the MAF.
- Changing the auto gearbox oil
- Maybe changing the diff oil (120k miles is a better mileage for this, but it cost just about GBP 30)
- Checking that the glow plugs and their control unit still work properly, as a failing control unit is a mass problem on these cars (and normally you wouldn't notice unless its a really cold morning)
- a coolant change maybe? although that's just normal maintenance.
thats all I can think of...
Old 10-20-2011, 12:50 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 530d 2005 M sport, individual, shadow line

Hello Guys,

Yesterday i celebrated 300.000km on the clock! I bought to my car a present, new set of shoes, Michelin M+S pilot sport. She was very happy i have to say!
I owe the car for 3 years now, and i changed quite a bit, similar list what above was suggested, but more.
Changed aut. gear box filter
distribution belt, with all rollers
panorama sunroof seals
on rear axle some "tired" joints
every service for oil and filters change additionally the filter for turbo (forgot the exact name)

In plans, this summer will remove the DPF filter, and recalibrate the sensor, my regeneration cikcle still works, but iknow for sure turbo will breathe better and there for last longer, car should run easier.

What do you recon, what is the limit mileage on these engines, if you look after them?

Then i had an idea, to change my engine for 3.5d or 4.5i

What do you think?
Old 10-20-2011, 03:51 AM
Senior Members

That?s a very ambitious plan, bmWay

What joints exactly did you change on the rear axle? I want to do this on mine.

The name of the turbo filter is a ?breather?. If you use the new design (with a plastic spiral inside instead of the sponge-like filter), it will hold ?forever?.

The gear box filter is usually changed with the oil, at least the first time.

On the life of the engine, a German courier driver did 1.280 K (THOUSAND!) km in his E39 Touring 530d, before he had a crash on the autobahn. Otherwise the engine and car were in perfect health! He had to change the auto box at 800K km, but the E39 had a GM auto box, unlike ours (ZF) which are much more robust. In short, if you maintain your engine properly and don?t do drag-racing, I don?t think you will have to change it anytime soon
Old 10-20-2011, 10:58 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 530d 2005 M sport, individual, shadow line

Mate,

Indeed Aut. gearbox oil was changed at the same time when i decided to change the filter. Purchased the original filter in BMW cost me like 260euros, and then found on Ebay for a 120, the post said Original, but who knows.
Anyway, the Rubber mountings were changed real axle rubber mountings. Quite a job, but i have a good friend in a garage so was done in half of a day
Very interesting story about the cabby, really serious numbers on the clock
I think i would be frustrated to drive "own car" at such mileage.
Will double check the "breather" which model it is, so you saying if it's as mentioned by you i can use for long long time right?

the 4.5i engine swap is tempting, i inquired the prices at a local businesses in Germany, and i can get for 3000- 4000 euros a good engine.
But because it's a huge gob, so much extra has to be done, it's still in the dreams stage.

Originally Posted by mmitev
That?s a very ambitious plan, bmWay

What joints exactly did you change on the rear axle? I want to do this on mine.

The name of the turbo filter is a ?breather?. If you use the new design (with a plastic spiral inside instead of the sponge-like filter), it will hold ?forever?.

The gear box filter is usually changed with the oil, at least the first time.

On the life of the engine, a German courier driver did 1.280 K (THOUSAND!) km in his E39 Touring 530d, before he had a crash on the autobahn. Otherwise the engine and car were in perfect health! He had to change the auto box at 800K km, but the E39 had a GM auto box, unlike ours (ZF) which are much more robust. In short, if you maintain your engine properly and don?t do drag-racing, I don?t think you will have to change it anytime soon