E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

2" Receiver Hitch in USA? Also: Wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Thanks for the tip about REI, I'd forgotten about them! Looks like they give you 15% off when you sign up for a newsletter, so I might just go ahead and use that right away!

For the bar size, they come in 50, 58 and 65. Do you think with a 50 inch bar, I should be able to put a box on (yours is 36" wide) plus two bikes? Or might the 50 not be wide enough?

With a 50" bar, it pretty much looks like it'll be even with the roof edge. But since the 58 is the same price, I wonder if getting larger (58) is safer up front? My only dilemma is I might end up lazy and leave the bars up even when I don't have a load, so didn't know how bothersome / an eyesore the 58" would be since they'd stick out like 6" per side.

How many minutes would you say it would take to take off the bars / feet once you've gotten good at it?
I'll put some bars up there and take photos.

Once you have them set, it's very easy, about 20 minutes to put back on and less to remove. Even easier is when you have at least 2 bike mounts on either side. These act like a structure holding the whole system together. I just release the straps, have the box off of course, and the bars with 2 bike mounts comes off as one unit.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi wagon 6AT

Originally Posted by jwestpro
Haha, sometimes the obvious reasons are lost when your point of view is so practical....the "point" is for "looks" However, you are correct, one can often justify that purpose by also using a wider tire which would provide more cornering traction.

He answered it but I think he already has the tires too.

I think the tire will be just fine on the 9" rim but a 9.5" would be getting past the sensible limit. I don't recall the section/tread width on the 245/40 but my 245/45 look perfect on the 8.5" rims I have and stretching just another 1/4" on each side would probably be just fine.

The tire brand matter too though. Mine are Bridgestone which seem wider in section that a same spec tire but I really like the thick rim lip protection because I seem to be the one who curbs any wheel possible !
I bought the Continental Conti Extreme Contact DWS in 245/40/18 (high perf A/S). They are the highest rated in their class on Tirerack. My wheels will be 8" front (ET38), and 9" rear (ET35). The manufacturer's rim width range is 8"-9.5", so it should be fine on both f/r wheels, and the offset seems like it should fit well.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Members

You can certainly cut either brand, it's just steel and then drop the end cap back on.

I'll reiterate, the Thule 450 foot has a wider range of fitting even when compared on the same bar. For example, on the Audi I wanted to use the 2100 box, which is a bit long for the Audi B7 Avant roofline (the B8 is a little longer I think) so I had to have the mount all the way forward right into the part where the rail starts to bend down and into the car roof and gets thicker as well.

The strap design of Thule allows a wide range of flexibility here whereas the Yakima grab style would not be able to hold well in that angle and over the tapering rail.
I don't know about the Thule box, but I had to reverse one set of the clamps on my Yakima box to get it to fit the way I needed on my RV. I had to cut some new holes in the box, but it all worked out. The boxes are pretty easy to work with if you need to go a little outside the intended parameters. Of course other things come into play; I wouldn't want a lot of forward overhang over the windshield, and loading could become a concern in certain positions.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

What do you use the Chinook for? Looks like a lot of space and fairly easy to maneuver. We have been debating Airstream trailer vs truck with camper (one that could be easily left behind at camp sites) or more rugged like my roof top tent on a real offroad trailer.

Either trailer idea of course allows the vehicle to be more useful for other normal travel and work but my taste in 4x4 suv is rather extreme.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Members

What do you use the Chinook for? Looks like a lot of space and fairly easy to maneuver. We have been debating Airstream trailer vs truck with camper (one that could be easily left behind at camp sites) or more rugged like my roof top tent on a real offroad trailer.

Either trailer idea of course allows the vehicle to be more useful for other normal travel and work but my taste in 4x4 suv is rather extreme.
I took a four month winter ski vacation with my girlfriend (now wife) all through the US and Canadian rockies a few years ago. We were moving from San Diego to 'pick a ski town', and wanted to see if there were anyplace more interesting than Jackson (Hole). The Chinook had a 7.4L turbo diesel, 6" lift, Blizzaks, locking hubs, propane furnace and generator, heated holding tanks, etc. It absolutely rocked. I once passed the whole plow team driving up Vail pass, into a fresh 12"+. It was like a leather-trimmed snow tank. As much fun as it was, I knew I wouldn't really use it after that trip, so I sold the next summer. There are a lot of times I wish I still had it... but not enough to want to keep maintaining it (four seasons RV's are worse than boats, of which I own two.) It was only good for two people really, so now that I have a son I'd need something bigger anyway. It was great though - I'd drive that thing 90 mph all over the west, chasing storms (although I wanted to sue the weather channel for false advertising after a while). Awesome rig. A friend bought it, and another friend bought a nearly identical one as a result of seeing mine. It really is a great RV. Park in any spot, etc. It's too bad Chinook went under.

You can get an idea of the size next to other 'cars' - it can be parked about anywhere.

Comfy inside:

More pics of it here
Old 07-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Members

My neighbor has an Alaskan Camper and is selling it for a trailer instead. He had the same idea (leave it at camp sites), but the reality is it's FAR easier to leave a trailer than unhook those pickup campers. The Alaskan brand is highly regarded for weather proofing, and the relatively low COG (for offroad and fuel efficiency).

If you're only staying places a day or so at a time, an RV is nice, but otherwise an SUV/pickup and an Airstream (or more offroad-oriented camper) would be my choice these days. Airstream makes a nice trailer with a gear/toy compartment in back (drop down ramp/door). The new Touareg TDI and an Airstream would be a pretty nice combination. The real downfall with a trailer is they suck in the snow. Otherwise, with sway bars, trailer shocks and a good tow vehicle (X5 and others have ESP programming that turns on when the trailer is connected), they're a good solution. Some other friends tow a new Airstream with their Denali, and with two kids and a dog, they're very 'happy campers'.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Haha, sometimes the obvious reasons are lost when your point of view is so practical....the "point" is for "looks" However, you are correct, one can often justify that purpose by also using a wider tire which would provide more cornering traction.
Why didn't I think of that? From behind, I figured it's the tire width usually that catches the eye, but I guess with the wider wheel, esp. in his case (and I noticed in your case too for all 4 of your wheels), his wheel will stick out a nice 20 mm from the stock position, which will look quite nice and aggressive I'm sure, and if there's any extra lip/dish on his rear wheels, then you can't get that look from your usual 8" wheel...

So does that mean if I wanted, I could add 20 mm spacers on my wheels and still be ok? Rubbing isn't an issue with this car I'm sure, with the stock suspension. Handling wouldn't be affected negatively?
Old 07-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Why didn't I think of that? From behind, I figured it's the tire width usually that catches the eye, but I guess with the wider wheel, esp. in his case (and I noticed in your case too for all 4 of your wheels), his wheel will stick out a nice 20 mm from the stock position, which will look quite nice and aggressive I'm sure, and if there's any extra lip/dish on his rear wheels, then you can't get that look from your usual 8" wheel...

So does that mean if I wanted, I could add 20 mm spacers on my wheels and still be ok? Rubbing isn't an issue with this car I'm sure, with the stock suspension. Handling wouldn't be affected negatively?
I generally try to stay away from spacers, and I'd stay in the 10-15mm range at most just to avoid potential vibration issues. Any time I've used wider spacers, I've had vibration problems. I used 25mm (IIRC) on my 4.8i to get the winter tires to line up with the wider 20" sport package fender trim (I was using 19" X6 wheels for winter). I had vibrations in the rear.

Remember you also need new lug bolts of the appropriate length as well. Check ECS tuning for decent quality spacers.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Senior Members

I'll put some bars up there and take photos.

Once you have them set, it's very easy, about 20 minutes to put back on and less to remove. Even easier is when you have at least 2 bike mounts on either side. These act like a structure holding the whole system together. I just release the straps, have the box off of course, and the bars with 2 bike mounts comes off as one unit.
Thanks. I need to decide basically on the 50 vs. the 58 I think.

What's your thoughts on whether the 58 would be too long or not, if I was to leave the bars semi-permanently on the car during the summer? Was worried the 58's might look crappy if they stick out too far from the roof, and/or I might risk bumping my head getting in the car?

Or did you take yours off each time after a trip?
Old 07-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Sarge
I generally try to stay away from spacers, and I'd stay in the 10-15mm range at most just to avoid potential vibration issues. Any time I've used wider spacers, I've had vibration problems. I used 25mm (IIRC) on my 4.8i to get the winter tires to line up with the wider 20" sport package fender trim (I was using 19" X6 wheels for winter). I had vibrations in the rear.

Remember you also need new lug bolts of the appropriate length as well. Check ECS tuning for decent quality spacers.
Thanks. So then your wheels extending 20 mm from stock (based on wider wheels and lower offset) isn't the same effect as just tacking on a 20 mm spacer (because you've introduced another part b/w the wheel and the hub)?

Quick Reply: 2" Receiver Hitch in USA? Also: Wiring?