E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

2" Receiver Hitch in USA? Also: Wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 02:51 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2001 M5, 2010 535iXT Automatic
Model Year: 2001, 2010

Any of our EU / UK brethren have a reinforcement bar they can check the distance of the mounting holes ?
Old 10-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xi wagon 6AT

Originally Posted by sfcacique
I finished the primary install of the EU towbar and dedicated wiring. I really like the wiring concept, and although the instructions are in pictographs instead of words, it went relatively well. Both the towbar swan neck AND the electronics plug are not visible when not in use. The plug actually swings up behind the bumper as well.

Two primary challenges

1. When I finished the wiring I got a PDC Failure error on the iDrive. A little later a LEFT brake lamp failure occurred. I went through the wiring, ensuring the relay box inside the car was tight and the errors were still there. I then removed the bumper and fiddled with the PDC plug. Checked iDrive and both errors were gone. As we know, sometimes errors don't immediately go away even when the error fault is fixed. So... still looks like a wiring connection situation. On the way home, I received an error code for LEFT and RIGHT brake lamps. Both brake lights work on outside and appear normal. I have not checked with the trailer hooked up.
This is just a guess, but the ECU may be looking for a completed ground loop, and with no trailer hooked up, it is 'reporting' that the bulbs are out, because it's looking for trailer bulbs that aren't there.

I know when I installed the hitch on my previous X5, it had to be reprogrammed, which had the side benefit of also changing the camera view to show the trailer hitch when reversing (pretty handy).

The only problem you might have is whether or not the US dealers can 'program' the car for 'trailering package', since I don't think our cars were ever offered/approved for towing (or something to that effect).

That's just a guess, though. It will be interesting to see if your error codes go away with a trailer plugged in though.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:33 PM
Members

Sarge,

Wiring kit is supposedly eliminates all the "ECU" codes, and is the OEM equivalent. Since it is intermittent, probably a connection that could be better. The wiring has to be connected at various points, Passenger side bolster of R rear seat, under spare, at the plug receptacle, three separate power wires, three separate ground wires.... Lots of room for error on my part, and the EU connectors are very good, but strange for me.

BTW, spent 12+ years enlisted/NCO and then 11+ as Warrant. Thank you for your service.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:28 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61

sfcacique
love your setup, can you post some photos? I am debating on which way to go. Thanks!!!
Old 11-27-2013, 04:02 AM
Members

Hi 6speed,

I'll take some photos, but not much will be shown, it is all under the bumper. The low tongue weight rating for all of these, might lead one to consider staying with the US version from Curt. I'm still on the decision process on this one. I have a persistent "Brake Lamp Failure" reading on the IKE/Nav screen that is bothersome. Not sure if it is from US vs UK lamp/bulbs or ....???
Old 11-27-2013, 09:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

Almost US 700, would have to check Euro Conversion, but that is about it. PF Jones
As an aside, the only USA source for receive hitch racks that I have found is Curt, and they also have the same 200lb tongue weight restriction. .

Not true and anyone who appreciates the styling of a BMW should please not bolt on an ugly Curt receiver!

About $500 gets you full custom with ZERO loss of departure angle. No drilling occurred, just thoughtful design and welding. Approved for 3500 lbs and 350 TW:

Old 11-27-2013, 09:24 AM
Senior Members

lowest point at rear edge is the exhaust. I had the receiver angled up slightly to add more clearance for the bike rack itself. Other brands like Yakima would have even better clearance due to the immediate curve upwards out of the receiver.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:32 AM
New Members

My Ride: Silver, M5, E39, Bulley Exhaust

Yeah when looking for information on htiches I go to Hitchanything.com
Old 05-27-2014, 08:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530XiT BSM/Auburn
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by norsecarnut
lowest point at rear edge is the exhaust. I had the receiver angled up slightly to add more clearance for the bike rack itself. Other brands like Yakima would have even better clearance due to the immediate curve upwards out of the receiver.

Hey norsecarnut, I found you in a tdi forum and sent you pm there before I found you on here. I see that you had that receiver custom made...I am wondering if that shop in Seatle could template that receiver, make another one, and ship it to Atlanta! I just got another 2007 530XiT and really want a 2" receiver for my bike rack...for all the same reasons you did it. One minor concern is that mine being a 2007 530 vs a 2008+ 535, the Curt hitches between the two are different which makes me think something changed under/behind the bumper cover between those years.

BTW, is the hole through which the bolt goes in and holds the rack to the receiver behind the bumper fascia?

-r
Old 05-27-2014, 07:31 PM
Senior Members

Mine was custom and I am sure they did not make any sort of template at the time.

The hitch pin is obviously behind the facia as per post #156.

(no need to quote large photos on the same page/thread for reference)

A good craftsman could make you one similar. As you can see in the 156 photo, there is a stabilizer bar that follows the contours of the lower body shell. This flat bar runs back to near the front of spare tire shell and connects with a lateral support bar which bolts into factory bolt points so that drilling was not required.

Quick Reply: 2" Receiver Hitch in USA? Also: Wiring?