E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.
View Poll Results: Would you keep this car without a warranty?
yes, I expect repair costs to be within a tolerable $500/yr
50.00%
no, I would pay $2400 for a warranty for an extra 50000 miles of use as repairs will be more than this
25.00%
no, I would pay $4250 for a warranty for an extra 50000 miles as repairs will easily be more than this
25.00%
no, I wouldn't keep the car even with the warranty as aftermarket warranties don't really cover anything of value
0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

'08 535xiT warranty decision

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 535xi wagon. Monaco Blue/Dakota Brown interior, M Package

I have a 2008 535xi touring with 41,000 miles on it, with Nav. I've been quoted $4750 for a warranty extension to 100k miles by the dealership which told me "it's almost as a good as a regular new BMW warranty"... don't believe a word of it, so i came here to check. I have a friend who said he can get the same warranty for $4250... which leads me to believe the dealership is just making a clean $500 profit and reselling another company. Then I read on this forum about the "route 66" warranty for $2400... how can there be such a price difference and am i comparing apples to oranges.

I think this car will easily have $1000/year in repairs... maybe significantly more. I just had the supposedly recalled (and already fixed) injectors replaced for the second time in the life of this car. I've also heard nightmare repair costs for the air suspension, the panorama roof, radiator, navigations system and electronics in general, so there is no question in my mind that this is nothing like the older BMWs which other forum members speak of highly... this baby is one expensive and fickle ride to fix. So, there is no way I would consider keeping this car without an extended warranty.. question is, how much to pay for it.

Any actual experiences appreciated.

thanks.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

a few thoughts:

A my cpo warranty does not quite cover the same things like nav software, however if an actual part isn't working, then that is covered. so, i'd see about things like that in your above referenced warranty.

B about the dealer price, 2 things, 1st, they are a business, meaning, in business to profit, not a charity for us, although i try to get the best deal all the time. 2nd, there is first the dealer "price", this is not unlike the msrp on a window sticker...it is negotiable but of course right off they will tell you the msrp, it's up to the buyer to see what room there is for a discount.

many things play into that, are you a long time customer, or at least bought the car there, or at very least, are they now your go to dealer because it's close to you? There does need to be something in it for them, as i aid, it's a business and if it were you in their shoes, you'd be bitching about all the people who keep asking for a discount

C why do you "expect" to need $1000/year in repairs? and if so, are those all things that will be covered by said warranty?

D do you plan on keeping the car "forever" or at least well past the end of the warranty time, or will you sell it? An intact warranty at time of sale could help your case for a stronger sale price. put yourself in the buyer shoes in considering that aspect and do what would make you feel more likely to buy your car in a few years.

E about the $2400 warranty...normally, when anything is "too good to be true" ....well, you should know about that by now if you are driving a late model 5 series wagon

F $4750 ? + tax? either way that is a nice chunk of $. you could just put it away and roll the dice. what's the worst case? you don't have a warranty but you have the cash working for you and/or available for any uses. if you have a $5000 repair, you have lost nothing. or, you could sell the car at that time, will it sell for it's base value minus the repair, probably pretty close so if you do a 4 year matrix on costs/recaptured loses, you may find it's nearly the same either way. the only thing cheaper is to sell it right now and not replace it or replace it only with something at the same cost but with longer term viability.

G lastly, if a person cannot "afford" to pay for the repairs needed, and can only keep a car if they also have the warranty, then they are in a car market above their means. this is simple but people hate to think that way. the only warranty that is really good are rare ones like for a dodge cummins truck where you get a 100% refund at the end of the term if you never needed to use it. now that, is a solid warranty and standing. when we feel like we cannot possibly drive a car without also carrying a warranty, then maybe we have our priorities mixed up and are driving the wrong vehicle.

I know i have been, i just bought a $4500 warranty for my 2007 Land Rover LR3 to cover me another 50,000 miles over the next 4 years. But hey, it's a LR and when I do sell it, I'll have a lot stronger selling position with warranty left at the time. Plus, I am expecting things to start falling apart any time now
Old 10-07-2011, 04:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

1)CPO should cost $2,000 +/-

2) The fuel system is already covered to 100,000 miles by BMW

3)Not sure that you will have $2,000 of repairs. I have the same car and the only issue I have had has been related to the fuel system.

My lease is up and I like the car so much that I am buying it. I think the Wagon will hold it value better.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:44 AM
Members

you cannot cpo your car, only the dealer can before they sell it to you or after you turn in your lease and then buy it.
cpo cost is around 1495 if I remember correctly.

extended warranty gold is what I believe is the one to get. it cover idrive/nav that cpo does not.

you have been quoted way too much for it.

check out bimmerfest, talk/email one of the sponsors and you will get a way better deal.

I, personally, would not drive a newer bmw without some kind of warrranty for as long as I could ie 6 years