E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

People with 20 inch rims, questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 03:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planing on getting 20 inch rims on my 530i (non sport). I posted a topic on some rims I was thinking about getting, but I decided not get them because, 1 they are kinda heavy at 38 pounds each, 2 I actually saw them up close and they weren't what I really expected. I'm now looking at the Maya DTM wheels (another member has them I believe). They are supposly much lighter around 27 pounds or so, and they're real 3 piece rims. My question is most shops down here (Miami, FL) want to put 255/35/20 tires but I'm like thats to big, I was suggesting 255/30/20, but they were like you are going to bend your rims on that tire size, what do you guys think? Also the rims will be at least 20x9 (ET 18), still thinking about the wider rims for the back. Also people with 20's are you guys happy with them, house the ride? Would the ride be better in my car since I dont have the sport package? Any input would be helpful. THANKS!
Old 06-09-2004, 04:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

What are you planning to do in order to lower the car? I may be wrong but I have to assume that you'll be lowering your non-sport if you're going to be running those 20's ??
Old 06-09-2004, 04:30 PM
Members

What are you planning to do in order to lower the car? I may be wrong but I have to assume that you'll be lowering your non-sport if you're going to be running those 20's ??
I have no plan on lowering the car.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

Reading some of the posts, the 35 tires are too big and will rub. I went to tirerack.com, and they actually recommend 255/30 on a 20x9.5 wheel and 295/25 on a 20x10.5. I was told by a company that repairs wheels that if you run under 40 on the tires, you run the risk of bending your rim before you hurt the tire. But that means 35 (which I used to have on Hartge Classics and my rim bent as well), will bend just a well as 30 or 25. Just be careful.

As for the lowering, I think the 20s may mask it more, but the sport pack cars do "sit" better and you may have to lower the car a bit for it to look right.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

Make that sit just right.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:47 PM
Members

i'm running 245-30ZR-20s, toyo proxes. ride's awesome, no rubbing, you should run bigger though. i regret not buying 22's but it's coming...

Old 06-09-2004, 04:48 PM
Members

Reading some of the posts, the 35 tires are too big and will rub. I went to tirerack.com, and they actually recommend 255/30 on a 20x9.5 wheel and 295/25 on a 20x10.5. I was told by a company that repairs wheels that if you run under 40 on the tires, you run the risk of bending your rim before you hurt the tire. But that means 35 (which I used to have on Hartge Classics and my rim bent as well), will bend just a well as 30 or 25. Just be careful.

As for the lowering, I think the 20s may mask it more, but the sport pack cars do "sit" better and you may have to lower the car a bit for it to look right.
I agree about lowering will make it look a little better, but I didn't get the sport package, and I'm not about to play with the suspension to lower the car. And I also believe the decent size lip may mask some of the height vs bmw with the sport package. Question, when you bent your Hartge rim, what it a very hard hit? Does it seem like something very easy to do again? Thanks Aaron!
Old 06-09-2004, 04:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tcast305' date='Jun 9 2004, 06:48 PM

I agree about lowering will make it look a little better, but I didn't get the sport package, and I'm not about to play with the suspension to lower the car. And I also believe the decent size lip may mask some of the height vs bmw with the sport package. Question, when you bent your Hartge rim, what it a very hard hit? Does it seem like something very easy to do again? Thanks Aaron!
hi, i am selling a set of genuine racing dynamics lowering springs. will drop your E60 1.5-inches from stock. $200

Old 06-09-2004, 08:55 PM
Contributors

tcast305,

I am with you on lowering the car. If I get the non-sport I won't lower for a little while (probably until the warranty was up, then I would go for it, plus it would give me something to look forward to. As for the bent Hartge, they were very hard hits. I used to live in Indiana, and I was so anxious to put my wheels back on (late March) when I know I should have waited. Potholes galore, and the one I hit hurt me physically while I hit it. I knew before I got out at the parking log that my rim was ruined. I sold it that way, but I also learned that chrome wheels are not easily repaired, and they do take away from BMWs, so I would go with the low profile wheel again, but this time I would wait a little longer to put on the custom wheels.

My new 5....
22s are meant for the 7-series. I believe they will be too big on the 5 and will really take away from that perfect look. In my opinion 18s are OK (the sports package 545s are the best 18s I have seen for this car), the 19's are good (I've seen Hartge and BBS LMs, and they both look good), the 20s look perfect. Without question, if you can find a wheel you like and don't mind being careful, 20s are the way to go. Just like the 19's look perfect on the E46 M3, 20s look perfect on the E60.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:07 AM
Members

PLEASE do not go with the 20s....If you read my post "Problem with 20 inch wheels", you will get the information on the problems one can encounter, especially with 20x8.5 wheels and 255/35 tires...visually they tires do not rub but they will definitely rub when you turn your wheels during driving. To correct my mistake and the wheel seller's ignorance, my best option was to look for 255/30 20-inch tires for the front at least but these were not available.

I ended up trading in the 3-day old 20 inch wheels and Yokohama tires for a set of new 19 inch Yokohama tires (talk about depreciation!). I then separately bought Mille Miglia EVO 19x8.5 wheels.

The 19x8.5 inch Mille Miglia with 245/35 tires do not rub at all but they did need aluminum spacer (ring) for installation. Ride is slightly inferior to the factory wheels.

If I were to do this all over again, I would keep my BMW style 123, 18x8 wheels with Dunlop run-flat tires.

If, after all of the above, anyone wants to exchange their BMW 18 inch with Mille 19 inchers, let me know!

Quick Reply: People with 20 inch rims, questions