E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Odd question about types of steering wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 11:07 AM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54
Default Odd question about types of steering wheels

So hopefully someone who is a steering wheel snob can tell me how many different steering wheels there are. I have recently gotten bored with my interior and I wanted to wrap it and/or change it like some people have. Okay so here's what I'm wondering: I see lots of steering wheel "trim" you can buy to change/overlay. So this shows a single cover piece that covers both spokes at 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock. I've seen other versions that look like a huge diamond, ie there are big pieces left and right of the airbag that taper to the 6 o'clock position. I've seen sueded m series wheels, and also one with a flattened bottom. And.. then there's mine. It seems to be the least common that I can google image search, and it seems like maybe because it's a heated wheel? I have only 2 covers at 3 and 9 o'clock that have the steering wheel button.

Okay so going back to why I care.. is I was thinking of taking those 2 trim pieces off to wrap it, but do I have to take apart the entire wheel and take off the airbag to get these pieces off? In 99% of these cases it seems so, I've looked at diagrams, just none match my particular steering wheel. Oh, I have a 2008 535xi with the heated steering wheel .. which is stock as far as I can tell. If I buy those "trim" kits it certainly won't fit on top because of the contours. So.. how to I take it apart? (Or maybe I won't bother). I've read/seen people's threads about m5 wheels and others that lose their "finish". where my piece seems like a flat colored piece of plastic, nothing special, nothing to rub off.