E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Odd question about types of steering wheels

Old 08-23-2018, 11:07 AM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54
Default Odd question about types of steering wheels

So hopefully someone who is a steering wheel snob can tell me how many different steering wheels there are. I have recently gotten bored with my interior and I wanted to wrap it and/or change it like some people have. Okay so here's what I'm wondering: I see lots of steering wheel "trim" you can buy to change/overlay. So this shows a single cover piece that covers both spokes at 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock. I've seen other versions that look like a huge diamond, ie there are big pieces left and right of the airbag that taper to the 6 o'clock position. I've seen sueded m series wheels, and also one with a flattened bottom. And.. then there's mine. It seems to be the least common that I can google image search, and it seems like maybe because it's a heated wheel? I have only 2 covers at 3 and 9 o'clock that have the steering wheel button.

Okay so going back to why I care.. is I was thinking of taking those 2 trim pieces off to wrap it, but do I have to take apart the entire wheel and take off the airbag to get these pieces off? In 99% of these cases it seems so, I've looked at diagrams, just none match my particular steering wheel. Oh, I have a 2008 535xi with the heated steering wheel .. which is stock as far as I can tell. If I buy those "trim" kits it certainly won't fit on top because of the contours. So.. how to I take it apart? (Or maybe I won't bother). I've read/seen people's threads about m5 wheels and others that lose their "finish". where my piece seems like a flat colored piece of plastic, nothing special, nothing to rub off.