E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit - LCI Sport Non-Heated w/paddles to LCI M5 Heated SMG

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 07:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit - LCI Sport Non-Heated w/paddles to LCI M5 Heated SMG

I know the M5 wheel will physically fit, and from what I've gathered from other posts, the regular paddles will fit in the SMG slots, but I'm not sure if the connectors are exactly the same, especially going from non-heated to heated? Has anyone made the swap? My car does not currently have the heated steering wheel, and I would buy the switchgear as well, if it will function without major mods (coding is fine). The other alternative would be to buy the wheel, and just not use the heating feature, if the other harness is the same and will not throw any codes. Thoughts?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 550i M Sport
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 4.8L V8

Not sure about your question but I subscribed to this thread. Depending on how it all turns out, I would be interested in your sport wheel with paddles (obviously without the airbag and trim pieces) if you are unable to swap the paddles out. I have a sport wheel also, just without paddles. I've been looking for a sport wheel with the leather inlay stock paddles instead of the smg paddles. Which do you have?
Old 12-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i

+1
Old 12-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

I have went from a heated non-sport to a non-heated sport wheel and i just have a open connection in the column for the heat plug. I would think it would work for you the same way.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by infin8
Not sure about your question but I subscribed to this thread. Depending on how it all turns out, I would be interested in your sport wheel with paddles (obviously without the airbag and trim pieces) if you are unable to swap the paddles out. I have a sport wheel also, just without paddles. I've been looking for a sport wheel with the leather inlay stock paddles instead of the smg paddles. Which do you have?
They're the aluminum with the leather inlay. If they fit appropriately, I may use them rather than the SMG paddles, Otherwise, I would be open to selling the sport wheel with the paddles after the swap.

Originally Posted by ETNav382
I have went from a heated non-sport to a non-heated sport wheel and i just have a open connection in the column for the heat plug. I would think it would work for you the same way.
So it sounds like the main plug is the same, and the heat only adds an extra plug, which likely goes directly to the switch. Does anybody know if the switch plug is the same, and whether it requires a separate power tap for the heat?