E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Has anyone retroffited paddle shifters to a pre LCI E60?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, a noob here, just love this forum! anyways the question is this. i am very interested to get my 530 retrofitted to paddle shifters. Anyways, I am not comfortable in doing it myself. i just don't want to screw anything up. Does anyone know where I can get it done, and how much it would cost (roughly)?
Old 11-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Contributors

just finnished fitting mine today, it took me 15 hours in total, but 75% of that time was converting my old hex steering wheel to take the adapter plate/spring kit from fred (on here)
drilling, gluing, and cutting a ?400 M5 SMG steering wheel is not for the faint hearted.
the actual fitting once i had everything ready to go was plug and play

i have one anomoly though, only the right side paddles work? i pull back to go down the box, and push forward to go up (all on the same lever) the right side paddle does not seen to work? i followed the instructions given, and fred even labled everything for me.
bazare...any ideas fred???

it does look cool though now

tiptronic....the new steptronic
Old 11-30-2008, 12:32 PM
Contributors

just finnished fitting mine today, it took me 15 hours in total, but 75% of that time was converting my old hex steering wheel to take the adapter plate/spring kit from fred (on here)
drilling, gluing, and cutting a ?400 M5 SMG steering wheel is not for the faint hearted.
the actual fitting once i had everything ready to go was plug and play

i have one anomoly though, only the right side paddles work? i pull back to go down the box, and push forward to go up (all on the same lever) the right side paddle does not seen to work? i followed the instructions given, and fred even labled everything for me.
bazare...any ideas fred???

it does look cool though now

tiptronic....the new steptronic
Old 11-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Contributors

posted that twicee for some reason// dajavu
Old 12-03-2008, 04:34 AM
Members

Dr Dave - why did you have to do the cutting, glueing etc?
Also, if you have paddles that push forward and pull back then as far as I'm aware, that's not an M5 wheel. The paddles on an M5 wheel are pull only - left paddle to shift down and right to shift up.
Yours sounds like the sport auto wheel, like Doogie had.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:32 AM
Contributors

no, ita a 2008 model M5 SMG wheel, and it should be push only...but one side is not working and the left paddle is now both push and pull.
early M5's had the wheel with + &- signs, but the new one does not.the wheel your thinking of, does not have the M logo and has different trim (alloy i think?)
i had to remove all the rubber and gubbins from the bottom spoke of the wheel so i could locate the "brains" (its a 2" black box)

Has anyone retroffited paddle shifters to a pre LCI E60?-paddle_shift_004.jpg
Old 12-03-2008, 07:37 AM
Contributors

to be honist if i had to do this again, i would lengthen the wires to the brain, and re-locate it under the steering housing, and not cut the wheel, but hey...its done now.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave,
Is it true that the right paddle does not work?
Take out the connector to the left paddle and plug it into the right paddle to see if it works. If it does not, it means that the right paddle is malfuction. If it works, I'll send you the new one. Please let me know ASAP.
Fred
Old 12-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Members

Didn't realise they'd changed the M5 wheel to push/pull like the sport wheel.
That's a shame you had to butcher the wheel to make room for the black box. I've got a 2004 M5 wheel on mine and there was already space for the black box.
To be honest I don't use the paddles that much but the wheel just feels so much nicer to hold. Much chunkier than the standard SE wheel.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:08 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 530D M-Sport, Steptronic, Grey Metallic, Retrofits: Sport Comfort Black Leather, M-Sport Alu Cube Dash Trim, Shadow Line Trim, CCC Pro Nav, Full M5 Conversion, M5 Mirrors, Quad M5, 20" M5 Gloss Black wheels, AC High Panel, Internal Boot Release, Mods: Xenons, Carbon Fibre Roof, Dension 500, Drilled & Grooved Discs,

Hi guys im fitting a m5 paddle shift wheel to my car i have worked all the wires out

I need to get the slip ring that has the two extra pins for the paddles or heated steering function

Any one know the correct part no aoni can order this

My car is a pre lci 2003

Quick Reply: Has anyone retroffited paddle shifters to a pre LCI E60?