E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Active Backrest Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 06:38 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello mate, can you please guide me where I am fitting a new seat from M5 which has active backrest and heating from factory. Mine was basic half electric seat.

Normally I ran a cable from SGM (K_CAN_SH/SL) to the seat X275/279 (yellow connector). There is an additional ground which I connected to the driver side 8 pin connector pin 2. Now when I try to use the buttons on my seat passenger side seat button activates driver side seat and vice versa.

Also what all cables are required is to be taken from KGM for backrest width adjustment to work? Aren't they on K_CAN? Any additional power to be fed? Can you please point me to the right direction?
Old 05-17-2012, 08:11 AM
Members

Don't know how to edit the post above. This is how I have wired it:

Ran two cable for K_CAN from SGM to the 8 pin connector. Ran a cable for LIN bus (K_BUS) from yellow connector to the SGM, actually I reused the existing wiring which was there for the seat heating.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

I'll write some more when I get a moment and not on my phone....

Both active backrest modules are the same. What determines whether it is a driver side or passenger side module is if an Extra pin is grounded or not.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:05 AM
Members

Thanks, got the buttons sorted, grounded one is passenger I thought it was driver side hence the problem. Now switches are all sorted.

Regarding the active backrest width feature I will need to take 3 wires from the KGM (PT CAN HI/LO and WAKEUP) to the seat module. I don't know which pins of yellow plug they will go to, can you please help me there. Also what is function of WAKEUP line?
Old 05-18-2012, 03:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci

Originally Posted by AI001
Thanks, got the buttons sorted, grounded one is passenger I thought it was driver side hence the problem. Now switches are all sorted.

Regarding the active backrest width feature I will need to take 3 wires from the KGM (PT CAN HI/LO and WAKEUP) to the seat module. I don't know which pins of yellow plug they will go to, can you please help me there. Also what is function of WAKEUP line?
I can't get to my info on the Pinout just yet. The wakeup signal is what is used to turn on various modules once the ignition is switched on. They have power but are not "turned on".
Old 05-18-2012, 10:21 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Congrats!!

Just so your know ALBV_TOGGLE_APP is the function in CAPPL.
If you enable MDRIVE and MDRIVE_ALBV in CAPPL this should give you the seat adjustment menu.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BLooD
Congrats!!

Just so your know ALBV_TOGGLE_APP is the function in CAPPL.
If you enable MDRIVE and MDRIVE_ALBV in CAPPL this should give you the seat adjustment menu.
I'm pretty sure I had the correct setting in CAPPL prior to installing the switches. It works like the seat heaters - there is no menu interface to change the seat temp until you press the button and for backrest there is no way to turn it on and select sport/comfort etc until the switch is pressed. On the other hand... I am turning on my backrest automatically when the car is started via my custom module in my miDrive project so one could do without the switches and integrate their control into something like that.

after having lived with this now for a while I can say I really like the Active Backrest. The seats react very quickly to changing conditions and provide a lot of support in the turns that you wouldn't otherwise have. For example, it may not be practical to have the side bolsters closed as small as they will go because it may be too tight for a lot of guys. With this setup, the seats are left open to a comfortable but supportive position and when a turn is taken the outside side bolster closes in fast and in stages to get progressively tighter the more aggresive the turn.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:27 AM
Members

Ok, got it connected now.

Active backrest width adjustment will need PT CAN line as it gets its data directly from DSC which tighten the side bloster on turn. PT CAN line can be taken from KGM.
On X275 PIN 20 is WAKEUP line connect this to PIN 27 of KGM X16760
X16760 on KGM (first big connector from left) PIN 30 is PT_CAN_L and PIN 29 is PT_CAN_H and on X275/X279 PIN 16 PT_CAN_L and PIN 15 PT_CAN_H. Connected them togather.

Code SA4MA, SA456, SA4MF (only with active backrest width adjustment), all functional. Now I need to replace the switches and all done.

Side blosters are making cracking noise when tightening or opening, as if something is being tightened too much but it is very responsive. Haven't connected the passenger seat yet so don't know if both do it or it is just the driver side. Is this what you guys experiencing too? Is it normal or the active backrests are on their way out.
The following users liked this post:
kd7iwp (08-23-2020)
Old 05-21-2012, 07:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AI001
Ok, got it connected now.

Active backrest width adjustment will need PT CAN line as it gets its data directly from DSC which tighten the side bloster on turn. PT CAN line can be taken from KGM.
On X275 PIN 20 is WAKEUP line connect this to PIN 27 of KGM X16760
X16760 on KGM (first big connector from left) PIN 30 is PT_CAN_L and PIN 29 is PT_CAN_H and on X275/X279 PIN 16 PT_CAN_L and PIN 15 PT_CAN_H. Connected them togather.

Code SA4MA, SA456, SA4MF (only with active backrest width adjustment), all functional. Now I need to replace the switches and all done.

Side blosters are making cracking noise when tightening or opening, as if something is being tightened too much but it is very responsive. Haven't connected the passenger seat yet so don't know if both do it or it is just the driver side. Is this what you guys experiencing too? Is it normal or the active backrests are on their way out.
Glad to see you got it. My backrests make very little noise when moving. Just the sound of a motor whirring briefly.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Members

This confirms new retrofitted seats have problem, not sure what exactly is making noise. Worth having a look? Is it easy to open the side blosters and see what drama is happening there?

Quick Reply: Active Backrest Retrofit