E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Active Backrest Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 06:12 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this option from factory in my 535d LCI.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:13 PM
Members

i have seen an m5 at a local junk yard should I feel like this is something I can handle maybe I'll try it out but i must admit the wiring gets me nervous.
That is a great find! Should you purchase the seats - cut the seat harness pigtails out of the M5. This way you can compare which wires you have in your existing harness and which ones you need to add. It will help you understand the wiring diagrams too. You'll also get the pin assignments at the seat plugs figured much easier. Be sure to mark left and right before cutting.

First check your existing seat harnesses for the yellow and black twisted wires(PT-CAN). If you dont have those wires already run to your seats, then you'll have to run those wires through the center console switch, then out to both seats making the job much bigger.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:50 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having used it for a while now I can say that is be a very nice retrofit, I won't say this is a something to spend 2 grand for but worth doing it you are not scared with wiring.

At times I feel like it is a bit of show-off but it is nice bit use of technology.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by AI001
Having used it for a while now I can say that is be a very nice retrofit, I won't say this is a something to spend 2 grand for but worth doing it you are not scared with wiring.

At times I feel like it is a bit of show-off but it is nice bit use of technology.

Yep - I like it too. I have addedd a feature in my miDrive project that sets the backrest to "Normal" mode every time I start the car. i have been working on the passenger seat start up preference as well. If the car is already running and someone opens the passenger door, the passenger backrest will turn on in "Normal" mode as well. A little more tricky to get it to work when the passenger door is opened befor things get started up though as when both people get in the car at the same time.

I'm also thinking of adding an automatic "slide the seat back a few inches" when I turn off the car and then resume it to the correct memory setting after getting in.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
I'm also thinking of adding an automatic "slide the seat back a few inches" when I turn off the car and then resume it to the correct memory setting after getting in.

Do you have the line of code to change for this? Or is this something you achieve with wiring?

Thx
Old 09-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci

Originally Posted by pradden
Do you have the line of code to change for this? Or is this something you achieve with wiring?

Thx
This is custom code for my own computer module that interfaces with the BMW computer networks
Old 04-29-2013, 08:26 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 528i

Sorry to revive an old thread, but are there part numbers for the retrofit? Did I miss something?
Old 05-07-2013, 05:17 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 528i

Bump ..
Old 05-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Tejhummer
Bump ..
no... you didn't miss anything. I didn't write this up as a DIY. Too many variables for me to try and account for everything.

The big parts you should be able to figure out: 4 motors and 2 computer modules.

If you are able to get through the wire diagrams and create your own cables figuring out the part numbers for the motors and computer modules is the easy part.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Members

Hello NoQuarter, I have had this nice little feature in my car since some time now and I love it. But now the upgrade bug is itching again. lol

Now I want to upgrade my M5 sports seats to comfort seat. There is one I saw which is fully electric and in very good condition. It is heated as well as cooled which is good but I want to take my current active backrest adjustment and put them on new seats. Sounds easy? Why do I need to change the motors if new seats are already having backrest width adjustment (not active though) aren't they same? If not are they electrically same, i.e. same connector and wiring going all the way to the underside area?

How hard is it to undo (and redo) leather removal from side blosters? What all tools and sundries I need to have before I attempt this.

Quick Reply: Active Backrest Retrofit