E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

545 exhaust modified exhaust help

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 12:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

I want to upgrade my 545i exhaust and have done some research, but I am a little confused. My goal is:

- a little more sound, but not obnoxious when driving on the freeway.
- added HP would be a plus
- Like the look of twin duals

The only system I have found so far that offers the twin duals is the Hamann system. It sounds great and is supposidly not obnoxious on the freeway and seems like it will achieve my goals. The things I am not sure of are:

1- the system is a little funky in that most of the exhaust is like stock over to the drivers side muffler. There is a small pipe that funnels over to the passenger side which seems useless except for providing the second set of pipes.

I have been told that removing the resonator will add more sound but no more power/response. I have also been told that it will add significant response at the mid to high RPM (like when you jump on it on the freeway). My understanding of resonators is that they are basically a straight through pipe that does not affect much flow - so what is the right answer?

2 - If you look at the resonator, it has two pipes coming out that "Y" into one big pipe over to the drivers side muffler. It seems that you could put on two mufflers directly from the resonator. I have been told that this reduces the back pressure too much and will have a negative power impact. It just seems like a cleaner system - but if it could be down, I would assume Hamann would know. Unless they are trying to build a bolt on system instead of having it installed by a custom exhaust person.

So, would it decrease the back pressure having a negative impact or is it a better way to go?

What suggestions do the masters have for me?
Old 05-01-2005, 07:45 AM
JDN
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Apr 30 2005, 03:00 AM
I want to upgrade my 545i exhaust and have done some research, but I am a little confused.? My goal is:

- a little more sound, but not obnoxious when driving on the freeway.

The Remus system will accomplish that objective.

- added HP would be a plus
- Like the look of twin duals

The only system I have found so far that offers the twin duals is the Hamann system.? It sounds great and is supposidly not obnoxious on the freeway and seems like it will achieve my goals.? The things I am not sure of are:

1- the system is a little funky in that most of the exhaust is like stock over to the drivers side muffler.? There is a small pipe that funnels over to the passenger side which seems useless except for providing the second set of pipes.

I have been told that removing the resonator will add more sound but no more power/response.

I tried that by removing the large resonator. It added just a little hum that stayed there at speed. When I added the Remus, I put the resonator back in the system.

I have also been told that it will add significant response at the mid to high RPM (like when you jump on it on the freeway).? My understanding of resonators is that they are basically a straight through pipe that does not affect much flow - so what is the right answer?

This is ignorance speaking, but I believe the purpose of the resonator is to break up the exhaust sound harmonics. I would not expect any performance gain from removing a resonator or from adding a sports muffler. No gain in fuel mileage either.

2 - If you look at the resonator, it has two pipes coming out that "Y" into one big pipe over to the drivers side muffler.? It seems that you could put on two mufflers directly from the resonator.? I have been told that this reduces the back pressure too much and will have a negative power impact.? It just seems like a cleaner system - but if it could be down, I would assume Hamann would know.? Unless they are trying to build a bolt on system instead of having it installed by a custom exhaust person.?

So, would it decrease the back pressure having a negative impact or is it a better way to go?

What suggestions do the masters have for me?

Good questions, but I ain't no master? .

[snapback]122171[/snapback]