E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Why is new M5 better than E55?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 06:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

Yea it seems that these opinions about the E55 are similar to the ones the editor wrote in Motor Trend; Fast off the line but it cant take a turn for nothing. Im sure youll get more honda kids wanting to race an M5 due to all the hype its received btw.

I just dont think the new E class is up to par with the e60 as far as interior and exterior styling but then again it is faster off the line....

Interior of e60 feels SO much bigger than current E-Class
Old 02-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

The Emmy is better,

Because
Mercedes is
Worthless !

Old 02-13-2005, 11:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by xexyus' date='Feb 13 2005, 07:53 AM
Im sure youll get more honda kids wanting to race an M5 due to all the hype its received btw.?
[snapback]89686[/snapback]
Ya thats whats going to suck... I really like how STEALTH the E28 M5 was when it was out... so stealth I didnt even know about them!!

Then the E34... AWESOME AWESOME... very fast sedan for its time and no one knew about it.

E39 more people knew its name started to make its way to fame towards 2002 and up but still not a total ridiculous amount of people knew about it.

The E39 M5 gave the "M5" name sooooooooooo much fame that every stupid rice rocket will know about the E60 M5 and will want to race you at every light.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by azwdct' date='Feb 12 2005, 09:24 PM
The answer lies in the handling of the car.? I drove the e55--straightaway, great power and acceleration, but the brakes are spongy and the car is too heavy--an absolute pig around the corners.? It is a powerful sedan, but it is not a sport sedan like the M5 or the 545.
[snapback]89583[/snapback]
The E55 is really like an American car --> incredible torque and lots of horsepower, but little/no refinement in the handling, braking and other aspects of the driving experience. Thus, it drives and handles like the large and heavy barge that it is.

The M5 was designed and tuned for the driving experience, which BMW does better than anyone else (OK -- Porsche buffs may dispute this, but until Porsche designs and sells a 4 door sedan that outperforms the M5, it's just handwaving). Thus, BMW focused on a naturally aspirated engine (not forced induction) coupled to a well tuned SMG transmission. Further, the naturally aspirated engine was tuned for a relatively flat torque curve over a large power band (i.e., a very high revving engine), which the 7 speed SMG is optimized to provide the most useful torque and power to the wheels for most driving conditions.

With a supercharged engine, the E55 has an awesome amount of torque (516 lb-ft) and this torque helps it to accelerate just slightly faster than the M5. However, we don't always drive in a straight line, so this massive amount of torque is not useful in the twisties and around corners (e.g., an "absolute pig around corners") as the engine easily overpowers the suspension design. Thus, as noted in the Motor Trend article, the M5 provides a superior driving experience overall and this driving experience is immensely gratifying to most drivers.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

The E55 is really like an American car --> incredible torque and lots of horsepower, but little/no refinement in the handling, braking and other aspects of the driving experience. Thus, it drives and handles like the large and heavy barge that it is.

You couldnt have said it any better "Guest". Its a damn chrysler with a peace sign on the front now. Its such a shame what theyve done to it. I loved the W210 E55 with Black/white REAL german interior. lol im such a hater, i should stop
Old 02-17-2005, 03:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

I don't like the MB but surpricing stereotype is still there... I like BMW.

Skaffa
Old 02-24-2005, 08:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

I might drive a Benz some day............................................... When I'm 80.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

The difference is.... Mercedes rushes the E55 to market by simply taking an E-class and slapping a bigger engine in it.

BMW M group spends much more time learning about the new bodystyle, and how to tweak it for performance. They take their time and try to make it as close to perfect as they can before selling them.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:15 PM

I would say...First, E55 has no its own style like M5..

E55=E500+4pipes, not even a special rear bumper like M5 (outside, I dont know the inside since I think its now even worth to buy it)

Second, even tho E55 is faster on stright line (am I right? coz E55 has more torque..) M5 has the better handling ( MAG said it, not me. I hope I can test drive it one day)

anyways..thats just what i think..at last, fuK MB, they are all supercharged sh!t! MB is like..German's JP Car..they sux!!!
Old 03-06-2005, 08:19 PM
Senior Members

e55's seats are different than a regular e. it has amg wheels and bodykits. but still, it doesn't make it any better than a m5 .

Quick Reply: Why is new M5 better than E55?