E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Why do so many people hate the M5?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel how all the opinions posted in this thread can be validated. We all represent what we drive, M5 or 525i. But the bottom line is that, while both cars have a similar bodystyle, they are nothing alike.

All of us that ride an M5, know that that there is no car on the road that can see us, period. Other than true exotics like Lambos, Ferraris, Porsches'..... it's simple, "dont even try it". I know about the SMG issues, the gas guzzling issues, the small tank, Vanos, Clutch, but in the end.. ALL EXOTICS ARE COSTLY TO MAINTAIN, RUN AND KEEP. So if one is not ready to make that commitment, then stik to the norm.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='569774' date='Apr 28 2008, 10:10 AM
How familiar does this sound to my thoughts on a very similar decision I just went through re: the 550i vs. M5 thread I started? It's almost uncanny! I like the way this guy thinks....makes me feel better about my decision.

Can't wait to hear about it when the beast arrives in a few months! And don't forget the pics!
I like how you both think. This makes me even more into buying the M3 (not that M5 isn't a rocket ) but i hardly use the space the 5 offers.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by MPower82' post='572762' date='May 1 2008, 11:43 PM
All of us that ride an M5, know that that there is no car on the road that can see us, period. Other than true exotics like Lambos, Ferraris, Porsches'..... it's simple, "dont even try it". But in the end.. ALL EXOTICS ARE COSTLY TO MAINTAIN, RUN AND KEEP. So if one is not ready to make that commitment, then stick to the norm.
I should have "stuck with norm." .......Just kidding!

Why do so many people hate the M5?-img_03122.jpg
Old 05-02-2008, 05:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by nisonger212' post='439953' date='Jun 26 2007, 11:14 AM
This has been something that has been going on since the car came out. Magazines nit pick on the car and rank AMG's as better overall. I for one feel the M5 is the best sport sedan money can buy no questions asked.

I see so many for sale on Ebay, on Autotrader, Swapalease etc.

Why do owners want out of their cars so soon with barely any miles racked on? Are these cars mechanical nightmares? Is it too much car for some people? Everyone made alot of hype over SMG how rough it is in traffic and in auto mode but i never felt this to be an issue after several test drives in NY. And now they have a 6 speed manual and its obvious the car was not designed for this gearbox from the get go.

Any thoughts?

=====================================

Good Morning 'nisonger212',

Personally I like BMW's and the looks of the E60 M5s, but better yet I Love its awesome raw but smooth power and handling of BMWs e60 V10 500HP M5 beast!! I test drove a new one last week, and I feel in love with it, and its one of the best stock "race cars" that I have ever drove before, and even if I could afford right now to buy one, it would be hard for me passing everything of the road, but a gas station! (LOL)

Just my opinion, I don't mean to step on anybody's toes here at the e60 forum, (that is still one of the best informative BMW forums I have personally seen on the www yet!).

Now I wonder if the high gas prices might have anything to do with what seems to be a glut on the market with E60 M5 resale's, and $500.00 take over lease payments for 12 months, with the 11/17 MPG, and I was told the E60 M5's are getting around 160 to 200 miles between fill ups. With gas prices here in the USA possible heading to $5.00 a gallon by mid summer 2008, and that in itself seems to me that it can get pretty expensive on one along with a wife and children to support...

That is just one of the two issues/problems that I found that BMW owners seem to be having with the new BMW E60 M5s, of information that I gathered for my MBA GLA research when I writing a report for my college class. I was going to try and buy a 2006 E60 M5 from some of the unhappy E60 M5 owners in excellant codniton with 33,000 miles and still has the BMW Warranty, at a awesome price of $51,000.00, (and that price of $51,000.00 for a 2006 BMW E60 M5 is about $8000.00 under the Kelley Blue Book trade in value of 59,000.00!)

But with the high USA Gas prices going from $4.00 to $5.00 to ??.$$ a gallon, and with the not so good 6-11 City MPG Gas mileage. The other issue seems to be the SMG 7 speed Trans. seems to be a big turn off to some also because of some of its city adverse performance issues the some E60 M5 owners have experienced, and not happy with.

In conclusion based upon my personal findings, if I could afford the GAS it takes to run the E60 M5 I would buy one in a heart beat over some of the other HP Exotic Cars in today's market place, because of the E60 M5s aggressive looks and its V10 / 500 HP engine performance, and last but not least with BMWs emerging technology with the e60's idrive onboard computer system, and BMW is still one of the leaders in fine precision cars in today's Auto industry, not to forget with the E60 5 series excellent safety record and safety awards its got over the past few years.

Sincerely,

R. Eddie Presley

PS,
Please overlook and excuse my misspellings, misused grammar, and its syntax in this writing, I wrote this off the cuff while at work and have not got time to run a spell and grammar check, and proof it right now.
Attached Thumbnails Why do so many people hate the M5?-dsc01315.jpg   Why do so many people hate the M5?-dsc01318__m5_blocked_out_looks_perfect.jpg  
Old 05-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Members

Seriously. Is gas that much of a consideration on a $100k car? Assuming 15k miles driven a year, you're talking about $200/month or so difference in gas between an M5 and a 545. Isn't that like an hour or two of work for the people who can afford these cars?
Old 06-05-2008, 03:24 AM
Members

Seems that some people see the M5 as a $100k car that just cost them $40-50k of depreciation after driving 20-30k miles, while others see it as a $50k car. Not sure if opinions are based on the $$$, practicality, or just plain ole "hater". But the big question is - has everyone in the discussion driven the car? Opinions might change after that
Old 07-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Members

My opinion , An M5 is a car for a true car fanatic person. Alot of people get SMG confused with an automatic transmission.
Not understanding what SMG really is.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i - Bone stock... help!

I've got it from a good source that a bicycle is faster than an M5.... in gridlock.

True story!

-Dirk
Old 07-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Members

My Ride: stock 530i 2005

M5 is good and fast
maybe people just want it to look more aggressive
cuz m5 has a subtle, understatement look
Old 07-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Contributors

There is no better car when you consider how flexible it is. I can pick up people from the airport and give them a smooth comforatable ride. I can take the kids to soccer and fit an ton of stuff in the trunk. I can also go to the track and scare the crap out of myself by putting it through its paces. There is no other car IMO that gives such performance yet can be used as a practical vehicle with virtually no trade off.

And the pleasure that you get when some moron with a big tin can muffler thinks he is going to blow past you on the highway...... see ya...

I don't care if gas hits $10 a gallon....the kids will just have to pay for their own college tuition then

Quick Reply: Why do so many people hate the M5?