E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Weird Random Check Engine light

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010 | 09:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 M5 (E60) Interlagos blue, Silverstone interior, with cold weather package. Adaptive Xenon headlamps and adaptive brake lights, hud, comfort access. Comfort seats, basically fully loaded.
Unhappy

It is like the second time on my 06 M5, right after i started the car still in N the check engine light came on and felt a bit shaky like it was misfiring or sumthing?. After i shut it off and cranked it right back up, the problem went away and so did the Check light. Last time when it did it, i checked it w/ the OBD reader and even though the check engine light was off i had like a few codes sayin dat #6,7,8,4 cylinders were misfiring. What could it be? Since i recently bought the car, could it just be the spark plugs? has anyone else expreinced this? Your inputs will be appreciated.
Kevin.
Old 01-31-2010 | 03:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 E60 M5 (Sepang Bronze/Natural Brown) Eisenmann Exhaust with Miesterchaft Sections 1 & 2 Evosport Headers Evosport Pulley RPi Scoops & Block Off Plates with BMC Filters Eibach Pro-Kit Springs 20" Breyton Race CS in Polished Silver

CEL could be due to so many things! Your car went into limp mode hence the codes. But a variety of issues could throw that error!

Did you get "Engine Failure, Reduced Power" on your iDrive?

Bad MAFs, Bad CPS, Bad Fuel Pump, sesor, filter etc. In your case if the fault went away, it's a temperature sesor somewhere. Maybe O2 sensor due to climate.
Old 01-31-2010 | 06:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 M5 (E60) Interlagos blue, Silverstone interior, with cold weather package. Adaptive Xenon headlamps and adaptive brake lights, hud, comfort access. Comfort seats, basically fully loaded.

Originally Posted by designo
CEL could be due to so many things! Your car went into limp mode hence the codes. But a variety of issues could throw that error!

Did you get "Engine Failure, Reduced Power" on your iDrive?

Bad MAFs, Bad CPS, Bad Fuel Pump, sesor, filter etc. In your case if the fault went away, it's a temperature sesor somewhere. Maybe O2 sensor due to climate.
Yes i did get engine failure, reduce power on the idrive.. Maybe it is just the temperatue... Cuz it was like 10 degrees w/ the windchill last night here in NYC. I also have a bit mechanic exprience so i think i'll pull one or two spark plugs out and take a look at em. Maybe they need changing, cuz the car has 52k miles on it and i just bought it a month ago. The only thing i did was an oil change. I think in some cars 02 sensors can make a car misfire, u're right.. I guess we'll wait and see. Thank you
Old 01-31-2010 | 08:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6MT

sounds like the spark plugs are getting weak. They are under the most stress on a cold start, especially in that kind of temperature.