E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Transmission broke ! ENOUGH WITH THIS CAR !

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I was driving to university this morning going 60 normal speed, I was on 3rd gear and suddenly when I come to a sstop ( red light) the car by its self switches to N from D3 and says on the idrive "Transmission malfunction.." I turned off the car, turned it back on switched to D and drove normally to university. 2nd time happened on a stop sign, than when I was parking this car it went all the way from D2 to R the car stalled, engine was off and I was not able to turn the car on. The smg shifter was at neutral but on the dashboard it said R. I tried turning the car on for at least 20 mins, and the engine would not turn on. So I pulled out back off my pocket an old trick my dad used to teach me, I started to push the car and try to turn it on, as soon as I started pushing the car it turned on and I did a reset for the transmission by pressing the two shift paddles on the wheel at the same time to reset it, it worked. I did not want to drive this car anymore so I called a tow truck. I went into my friends auto body and he said to go to BMW dealership and check with them, I started to drive,intersection after intersection it happened again 3 more times. In total my car died on me 6 times in a 3 hour period. The SMG is fked up in my opinion and BMW should have noticed wtf they are building. Sorry for saying this story in short words, because I am really pissed at that car. I drive it normally after everything happened to it, and randomly it pulls off a di.ck move on me...

I am thinking of going to BMW dealership tomorow, fix that shit under warrenty and sell my M5 or trade it in for an M3. 2006 M5.....
Old 05-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Old 05-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by flyingpuck
+1
Old 05-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bmw550ifreak
So I was driving to university this morning going 60 normal speed, I was on 3rd gear and suddenly when I come to a sstop ( red light) the car by its self switches to N from D3 and says on the idrive "Transmission malfunction.." I turned off the car, turned it back on switched to D and drove normally to university. 2nd time happened on a stop sign, than when I was parking this car it went all the way from D2 to R the car stalled, engine was off and I was not able to turn the car on. The smg shifter was at neutral but on the dashboard it said R. I tried turning the car on for at least 20 mins, and the engine would not turn on. So I pulled out back off my pocket an old trick my dad used to teach me, I started to push the car and try to turn it on, as soon as I started pushing the car it turned on and I did a reset for the transmission by pressing the two shift paddles on the wheel at the same time to reset it, it worked. I did not want to drive this car anymore so I called a tow truck. I went into my friends auto body and he said to go to BMW dealership and check with them, I started to drive,intersection after intersection it happened again 3 more times. In total my car died on me 6 times in a 3 hour period. The SMG is fked up in my opinion and BMW should have noticed wtf they are building. Sorry for saying this story in short words, because I am really pissed at that car. I drive it normally after everything happened to it, and randomly it pulls off a di.ck move on me...

I am thinking of going to BMW dealership tomorow, fix that shit under warrenty and sell my M5 or trade it in for an M3. 2006 M5.....
I'm not sure if this will work or not.

But on the E46 M3s that were equipped with the SMG transmissions, they had a sensor right where the hood latched. If the hood wasn't closed properly, it would show those symptoms that you have been mentioning regarding the transmission. The transmission has more electronic sensors than standard transmissions. When these sensors get dirty, strange things start happening.

I'd stick with that reset and see if the problem returns.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Lawlz.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Options: Sports Pkg/ Premium Pkg/ Navigation/ USB(iPod) Mods: Tint (lolololol) any ideas? I LOVE THIS CAR!!! (WAAAAAYYYYY better than my previous MB E350, but quite a bit more expensive :( )

*NO COMMENT*....(and neither should Vlad)
Old 05-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ModBargains II
I'm not sure if this will work or not.

But on the E46 M3s that were equipped with the SMG transmissions, they had a sensor right where the hood latched. If the hood wasn't closed properly, it would show those symptoms that you have been mentioning regarding the transmission. The transmission has more electronic sensors than standard transmissions. When these sensors get dirty, strange things start happening.

I'd stick with that reset and see if the problem returns.
ya I did the reset, but still happened 3 times in a row after the reset. This car is not for me, I love it, and dreamed about it. But for a 19 years old guy, I dont need an M5, I will stick to something smaller than that.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

This thread may get interesting.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by bmw550ifreak
ya I did the reset, but still happened 3 times in a row after the reset. This car is not for me, I love it, and dreamed about it. But for a 19 years old guy, I dont need an M5, I will stick to something smaller than that.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Contributors

Man, I'm really sorry to hear this happened and I'm sure that if it happened to any one of us here we would be totally devastated, especially if out of warranty. I hoep you get the car fixed soon and if I were you I'd keep the car! You'll probably get a whole new trans from BMW.

Quick Reply: Transmission broke ! ENOUGH WITH THIS CAR !