E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Top Gear Video

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [N62]

Has anyone seen this video? Jaguar XFR vs the M5.. Jag is a lil bit behind but not by much

I searched but I did not see if this was already posted..

M5 still looks A LOT better, anyone here like the XFR design?..it still hasn't grown on me...
Old 07-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Contributors

it is a jaguar. most of the time, its speed will be limited to the flatbed truck it is on.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='948383' date='Jul 20 2009, 11:57 PM
it is a jaguar. most of the time, its speed will be limited to the flatbed truck it is on.
You've got to admit, poor reliability notwithstanding, they sure are making a sexy looking car.

My neighbor had one of the first 7 X's in the country, PRIOR to them going on sale. (he worked for Jaguar) It's a great car to look at and no slouch as a driver.

I haven't driven the new sedan, but it looks okay to me.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 M5/SMG (LCI) Interlagos Blue/Black Merino Aux input, sun protection glass, Bluetooth, Voice control

not for me .. i personally think the XFR looks a bit too busy.
i saw the episode and was very pleased to see that the M, considering it's 4 years old now, still holding it's own against the new competition .. and N/A too !!!
let's face it, the competition has had to do the following to match (and slightly better, I know) the M

MB = HUGE capacity of 6.2l
Audi = v10 twin turbo
Jag = v8 blower

i think that's a massive win for M engineers that can get just as good performance from 5l's and no forced induction. hats off to them.

i know that on the run the Jag can pull away, but off the line the M took the lead into the first corner and the Jag played catch up from then on.
Plus, the M set the better lap time. again, hats off to you boys at M HQ.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:45 PM
CCS
Members

My Ride: 2009 535XI

Originally Posted by JayEll' post='948921' date='Jul 21 2009, 09:21 AM
i think that's a massive win for M engineers that can get just as good performance from 5l's and no forced induction. hats off to them.
+1 nothing beats M power
Old 07-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

Top gear is a great show. Its a show with three guys having a blast about cars and driving. Plus they get paid for it. Its every forum members dream I am sure. That said, please don't read much into it when they do comparisions. Its pretty much biased as I have noticed.

Jeremy clarkson has a hate thing for most BMW and given the oppurtunity, he can hardly have a nice thing to say about BMWs. You would get the one rare occasion where he will praise a BMW. Rest of the time he will have more negatives. Much more than any other car. Jeremy is also a jag lover... meaning if there are cars he will sing songs of praise, it will be a british car first.

This attitude also filters to the rest of the team. Just today I caught james may going on and on about the alfa 159 (old rerun) and how great, gorgeous and super handling that car was compared to the 3series. He tried to put down the BMW yet compares it as if the BMW IS THE CAR TO BEAT!!! But would he put his own money to own one,.. I doubt it.

That jag vs M5 was interesting. I bet on a proper test the results would have been different. ie if not done by top gear. On a track I am pretty sure the jag is no match. Heck even on a twisty road the jag would be no match.

I watch top gear as if its a comedy program and thats best how its viewed. Never ever believe their comparing runs. I think its mostly staged for view ratings!!

cheers
Old 07-21-2009, 06:24 PM
Contributors

It's just cool to see how they toss those two cars around
Old 07-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Members

Was a good show Ofcourse we are all biased! BUT I do think the jag is an ugly car, but having driven one I really do think it IS a nice place to be! The inside is nice, and it drives really well. Still wouldn't swap my M5 for one though!
Old 07-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by JayEll' post='948921' date='Jul 21 2009, 11:21 AM
not for me .. i personally think the XFR looks a bit too busy.
i saw the episode and was very pleased to see that the M, considering it's 4 years old now, still holding it's own against the new competition .. and N/A too !!!
let's face it, the competition has had to do the following to match (and slightly better, I know) the M

MB = HUGE capacity of 6.2l
Audi = v10 twin turbo
Jag = v8 blower

i know that on the run the Jag can pull away, but off the line the M took the lead into the first corner and the Jag played catch up from then on.
Plus, the M set the better lap time. again, hats off to you boys at M HQ.
Whatever the M5's competitors have done to get there, the bottom line is that, in a straight line, a number of the M5's competitors accelerate faster. The M5's torque rating is much lower than its competitors and its engine really does not come into full power until it is revved up.

But in all fairness, the M5 has been out for a while. The F10 M5 will be a lot more powerful than the E60 M5, and, more importantly, its torque rating is going to be much much higher. The F10 M5 will set the new benchmark for acceleration/speed as well as handling. It can't come too soon. It pisses me off to see less handling cars like the E63 and XFR having more straight line speed than the M5.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:01 PM
Contributors

Its amazing how the M5 only gets better and more appreciated with time..

Quick Reply: Top Gear Video