E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

SMG Gearbox Configuration

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 02:42 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an M5 on order, which is some 12-18 months away. I have this week been loaned an M5 for 24 hours (the car was a BMW GB demo car). While I greatly enjoyed the the SMG gearbox in Sport (manual) mode, I found the SMG systems to behave very strangely when using the Auto mode.

Whilst pulling away in 'D' at relatively slow speed, I regulally found the car would go from 2nd gear to 5th gear, then hesitate then drop back to 3rd gear. The affect feeling like the car was mis-firing or just a very lumpy ride. By contrast, the car felt absolutely fine when accelerating hard in either Sport or Auto mode.

I am therefore curious to here if anyone else has experienced similar problems or was this either my limited experience with car or the fact that my demo car has had a rather hard 6500 miles of life thus far?

When my car arrives, my wife will drive the car from time to time and I know she will not bother with the Sport mode, so the Auto option is of interest to me.

Our current family car is an E61 535d Sport Touring, which is a great car and very easy to live with.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i SMG, Dinan Flywheel, M Sport Kit Blk, Blk.

Originally Posted by chrisc' post='203005' date='Nov 24 2005, 03:42 PM
I have an M5 on order, which is some 12-18 months away. I have this week been loaned an M5 for 24 hours (the car was a BMW GB demo car). While I greatly enjoyed the the SMG gearbox in Sport (manual) mode, I found the SMG systems to behave very strangely when using the Auto mode.

Whilst pulling away in 'D' at relatively slow speed, I regulally found the car would go from 2nd gear to 5th gear, then hesitate then drop back to 3rd gear. The affect feeling like the car was mis-firing or just a very lumpy ride. By contrast, the car felt absolutely fine when accelerating hard in either Sport or Auto mode.

I am therefore curious to here if anyone else has experienced similar problems or was this either my limited experience with car or the fact that my demo car has had a rather hard 6500 miles of life thus far?

When my car arrives, my wife will drive the car from time to time and I know she will not bother with the Sport mode, so the Auto option is of interest to me.

Our current family car is an E61 535d Sport Touring, which is a great car and very easy to live with.
setting 7, no substitute