E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Review Quotes on the M5

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are a number of great quotes from M5 reviews. Thanks to Fusion from the M5board for putting most of these together. I got a kick out of reading these, and if you have any favorites, add them and we'll update the list!

"On every objective scale, the new M5 obliterates. It takes what we previously considered supercars and belittles them, patronises them into insignificance with the kind of confidence born of constant measurement and, possibly, coloured graphs. It is obsessive in its superiority and complete in its authority."

"It's not often a car comes along so capable that it raises the standard way beyond that of its rivals. But the M5 does just that. Unlike its one-dimensional AMG and Audi counterparts it has such depth of character that you could drive one for months without fully experiencing all its qualities."

"More extreme? Than the M5? Which, after all, is a luxury automobile packing a Formula 1-inspired, 500-horsepower V-10 engine that revs like a dentist's drill; a seven-speed, paddle-shift, sequential manual gearbox that Mark Webber might think got stolen from his BMW Williams; and an aluminum suspension so sophisticated you could drive over a newspaper and practically read it. More extreme than that?"

"The new 2006 BMW M5 is a top athlete in a tuxedo that can, if needed, do without any seblence of decency. Despite it's weightiness, this 5-series still achieves M-standard performance thanks to the powerplant under the hood. The mighty V-10 not only sounds like a racing engine - it IS one. 507 horsepower, 520 newton meters of torque, more than 8000 RPM -- these specs even make a car, like the Porche 911 turbo, look bad."

"...it's such a complete, beguiling car that it might just be the best car in the world. Which is why we award a rare five stars. And on that basis, its price looks good value."

"In 'M-mode' you are taken to a place and time when there were no compromises. It's a world of motoring perfection, a place where you can get from 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. And if you remove the limiter, it hits 204 miles per hour."

"You want to take it on? Don't even bother! It doesn't matter what you've got. It doesn't matter what you've ever driven. This is quicker. It's faster. It's more astonishing."

"my co-pilot reads out the fastest figures I've ever achieved in a road car: Zero to 100km/h in 4.4 seconds (three-tenths better than the manufacturer's claim and almost a second quicker than the previous M5); 0-400 metres in 12.5 seconds (making the E60 M5 just two-tenths slower than a Ferrari F360 F1 in both measures). And, unlike the Ferrari, it can carry four adults -- in comfort."

"You just can't believe that you're in a big 4-door saloon, because it feels and sounds like a Ferrari 430 - and that's about the best car I've ever driven. But this is more powerful, has twice as many doors and costs half the price."

"It can hang with the Aston Martin DB9 and Ferrari 612 Scaglietti and taken on purely on merit is better than either at a fraction of the price. Forget the 'rivals' from AMG and Jaguar, they'd be lucky to stay in the same time zone on these roads."

"Considering its looks, weight and versatility, that makes it a phenomenal car, one of the very best in the world. It's genius."

"The steering, the brakes, the power - and the sound... The driving experience just dominates!"

"As for overtaking, the thing's a jet. The 80-120km/h time of 2.25s was the fastest we've ever recorded in a series production car."

'Despite the largely dire roads, not to mention an unhealthy dose of pre-launch sceptisism, the new M5 has proved to be an utterly addictive, immensely accomplished car. Desperately fast, uniquely vocal, deliciously understated, breathtakingly sophisticated and, thanks to its SMG seven speed gearbox, more useable and versatile than ever, BMW has rendered the E55 and RS6 Plus surplus to requirements, restoring the M5 to its rightful place as the ultimate, class-defining supersaloon'
Old 07-19-2007, 08:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530 JET BLACK, PREMIUM AND SPORT PACKAGE, REAR FOLD DOWN SEATS.

These quotes sounds like from the episodes from top gear
Old 07-20-2007, 12:53 AM
Members

Ha yes thats what i was thinkings sound like JC did teh fully write up ha.
But i have to say all of that just make me want to drive one all the more pity it will never happen ha.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wannatesdr' post='450029' date='Jul 19 2007, 10:26 PM
These quotes sounds like from the episodes from top gear
They're assembled from about a dozen different reviews. Most are from the initial M5 reviews in late 2004 or early 2005.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:18 AM
Contributors

insert "drooling" emoticon here. i can't find it.

btw: wolverine, i remember when you first got your 20's and dropped it. Nice. Again, insert "drooling" emoticon here, again.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Would be much appreciated if you could add the source for each quote. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Sound little like overkill!

SKaffa