E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Proper Journey after Break In Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I just got my M5 and have fallen in love with it for most parts. I got the break-in mileage done in NorCal and then just drove it back to Baton Rouge so I can drive it while away on business. Yes it is cheaper to ship the car after gas and hotels but you can't get the views and fun that I had on the journey.

I have a couple of galleries up that you are free to look at. Will try to get some of the movies up shortly and get the pictures GeoTagged.

DAY 1 OF THE DRIVE - RENO TO SALT LAKE CITY TO WYOMING TO FLAMING GORGE TO ASPEN
http://gallery.me.com/bryoncip#100105

DAY 2 OF THE DRIVE - HEADING OUT OF ASPEN TO COLORADO SPRINGS
http://gallery.me.com/bryoncip#100114

Total trip was 3100 miles
Best Fuel Economy for a tank 21.4mpg at 86mph
Worst Fuel Economy for a tank was 7.9mpg at 47mph
Runs over 150mph 18 - all on closed roads under track conditions
Valentine 1 saves 14 plus other cop notifications that wouldn't have resulted in tickets
Sites Seen unbelievable.
Attached Thumbnails Proper Journey after Break In Mileage-and_they_parter_the_road_for_more_fun.jpg   Proper Journey after Break In Mileage-flaming_gorge.jpg   Proper Journey after Break In Mileage-food_for_supercars.jpg   Proper Journey after Break In Mileage-if_you_don__t_like_the_corners_love_the_view.jpg   Proper Journey after Break In Mileage-img_1519.jpg  

Proper Journey after Break In Mileage-img_1506.jpg   Proper Journey after Break In Mileage-top_speed_run.jpg  
Old 07-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

congrats on the beast. thanks for sharing the pictures
Old 07-24-2008, 06:13 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 530i upgraded to 2007 550i 12/20/06 Took delivery of 2008 M5 3/25/08 cf delete K&N filters, the rest stock.

Nice road trip! I would guess 3100 of the best miles you have ever driven
Looking forward to my October road trip to South Carolina, more than ever after seeing your pics.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rotton' post='631849' date='Jul 24 2008, 05:06 PM
Well I just got my M5 and have fallen in love with it for most parts. I got the break-in mileage done in NorCal and then just drove it back to Baton Rouge so I can drive it while away on business. Yes it is cheaper to ship the car after gas and hotels but you can't get the views and fun that I had on the journey.

I have a couple of galleries up that you are free to look at. Will try to get some of the movies up shortly and get the pictures GeoTagged.

DAY 1 OF THE DRIVE - RENO TO SALT LAKE CITY TO WYOMING TO FLAMING GORGE TO ASPEN
http://gallery.me.com/bryoncip#100105

DAY 2 OF THE DRIVE - HEADING OUT OF ASPEN TO COLORADO SPRINGS
http://gallery.me.com/bryoncip#100114

Total trip was 3100 miles
Best Fuel Economy for a tank 21.4mpg at 86mph
Worst Fuel Economy for a tank was 7.9mpg at 47mph
Runs over 150mph 18 - all on closed roads under track conditions
Valentine 1 saves 14 plus other cop notifications that wouldn't have resulted in tickets
Sites Seen unbelievable.
Are you really pulling 140+ mph on that one pic? Man, that must be awesome. Fastest I've done? 85 on a mini-highway to overtake a woman in an Altima. And that also for maybe 5 seconds. Nice views though. I need to drive through where you went with a radar and see how it goes.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by E60714' post='632126' date='Jul 25 2008, 01:00 AM
Are you really pulling 140+ mph on that one pic? Man, that must be awesome. Fastest I've done? 85 on a mini-highway to overtake a woman in an Altima. And that also for maybe 5 seconds. Nice views though. I need to drive through where you went with a radar and see how it goes.
140 mph in this ride is nothing. It feels like 90 in most other cars. I've done over 140 twice so far (broke 152 once), and it's a real rush. As for your top speed of 85 in your 535xi? Shame, shame...

Nice pics, by the way, Rotton!
Old 07-25-2008, 12:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by E60714' post='632126' date='Jul 25 2008, 12:00 AM
Yes that is 140+ - picture was snapped to early on that one. We only kept track of the time the car went over 150 on the trip (18 separate occasions).
The car is very stable at these speeds. It is so easy to get there and is still pulling hard.

Going fast in a straight line is a rush but nothing like being able to average 70+ in 30mph zones on 82 in Colorado.
The car has incredible balance from corner to corner to the next hairpin where the car is flicked in and drifted around the corner.
The most impressive part was there was never any brake fade.

I will have some video up this weekend from the drive. There is one leisurely run to over 150 (only shifting just over 7K rpms trying to be green).
Old 07-25-2008, 12:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

we keep saying here that the US is crazy to drive high powered engines (from our point of view 530 and higher are big engines) because of the speed limits there.

so do I understand from your trip that it's not such a big deal at all?

I mean, I'm lucky to live near the german border where there is no limit except for the sanity limit of driving among slower traffic and your car's performance. So I drive up to 230kmh or so but 90% of fellow BMW drivers here don't get up to more than 130-140kmh ever.
So they never drive the car where it's really good at: between 140 and 200 kmh.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BMDiesel' post='632235' date='Jul 25 2008, 03:31 AM
we keep saying here that the US is crazy to drive high powered engines (from our point of view 530 and higher are big engines) because of the speed limits there.

so do I understand from your trip that it's not such a big deal at all?

I mean, I'm lucky to live near the german border where there is no limit except for the sanity limit of driving among slower traffic and your car's performance. So I drive up to 230kmh or so but 90% of fellow BMW drivers here don't get up to more than 130-140kmh ever.
So they never drive the car where it's really good at: between 140 and 200 kmh.
Well I live in California and there are plenty of roads that you are empty enough to drive at higher speeds if you are willing to risk a ticket. Better have a good lawyer for any ticket over 90mph in California or over 100mph in most other states. I normally drive between 85-95 when there isn't traffic on the freeway. The biggest thing to remember is not put any other cars or drivers at risk.

Have a friend in Louisiana who recently had received a ticket for doing 140+. He has a CLS55 with many mods. It was on a Sunday morning with no cars around anywhere. It cost him $2000 and 40 hours community service.

In the US we do love high horsepower. With freeways and trying to merge into traffic it is important to have some HP or you really need to learn momentum.

I bought the M5 for the twisty roads and to counteract the fuel savings of the hybrid vehicles.
I am pushing for fuel prices over $10 a gallon. I think it will thin out traffic on the weekends and create a choice of weather or not a cop will chase you do to the cost of fuel
Old 07-25-2008, 04:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Originally Posted by rotton' post='632333' date='Jul 25 2008, 02:55 PM
Well I live in California and there are plenty of roads that you are empty enough to drive at higher speeds if you are willing to risk a ticket. Better have a good lawyer for any ticket over 90mph in California or over 100mph in most other states. I normally drive between 85-95 when there isn't traffic on the freeway. The biggest thing to remember is not put any other cars or drivers at risk.

Have a friend in Louisiana who recently had received a ticket for doing 140+. He has a CLS55 with many mods. It was on a Sunday morning with no cars around anywhere. It cost him $2000 and 40 hours community service.

In the US we do love high horsepower. With freeways and trying to merge into traffic it is important to have some HP or you really need to learn momentum.

I bought the M5 for the twisty roads and to counteract the fuel savings of the hybrid vehicles.
I am pushing for fuel prices over $10 a gallon. I think it will thin out traffic on the weekends and create a choice of weather or not a cop will chase you do to the cost of fuel

Very nice....

and congrats

Tonymac
Old 07-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Very nice, what kind of camera did you use?

Quick Reply: Proper Journey after Break In Mileage