E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

#OperationV10

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 06:18 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

price.

the LCI models were on average roughly $10k to $20k more expensive...and that was for an 08, the CIC didnt appear until 09 or maybe as late as 2010....and those were $60+ lol. i shopped nationwide and really looked at prices hard. also did a good amount of research in various forums (M5board mostly) i also spoke directly with a couple M5 owners on what to look out for and what to request. i got my car for what i feel was an awesome deal esp given the milage. i also had them install a brand new clutch and flywheel, plus do a full software update. this car had every option i could think of except for a heated steering wheel (i was really picky during my search....turns out the HUD kinds sucks tho lol). anyway, i ultimately paid over $20k less than what i was initially looking to spend when i started my search....plus now i have an excuse to stay in may garage and retrofit some things

just put on my badges and removed all the grills for prep, prime and paint, im at it again

as far as the CIC, its an awesome mod, if i could go back in time i would keep that as well as my LCI tails, but at the time i was leaning towards an E92 M3 before i changed my mind....eventually ill do the retrofit again...its a lot of fun to be honest....except for the price gouging that can be a part of the process...

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Nice move! Now, I see you got pre-LCI, can you elaborate why not jump right into an LCI so you don't have to do bunch of the mods? Namely, the CIC?

Is it, from your experience, one of those things that's nice to have, but you can easily do without (since you sold it in your part out thread I think)?
Old 11-30-2011, 06:24 PM
Senior Members

brian, youve gotta do it man. they are honestly not the same car. my 545i was heavily modded performance wise and it is a far cry from this damn thing. i can barely tell they are on the same platform while im driving it. add to that this EuroCharged tune is freakin crazy...the car is so aggressive now...as soon as i start her up im smiling ear to ear....i havent even turned on the radio the last two 24hrs of owning her...the engine notes are melodic/hypnotic...im in love w/ this thing.

Originally Posted by boots
Congrats man. After you called me the other day, I don't think you slept all night thinking about this car. Looks great and I know the mods will be awesome. R u now going to make me go and get that other one!!!
Old 11-30-2011, 06:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Congrats. Looking forward to seeing some fun mods to your car.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Ah I see, thanks for the explanation. I have recently thought about possibly doing CIC, since I pretty much ran out of mods to do. But still kind of hard for me to justify since it doesn't really add anything I don't have besides higher res screen and pretty graphics. In terms of the GUI, I am actually not sure if I like it. I played with some CIC equipped vehicles, and it seemed tedious to me.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:35 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your new ride. It looks amazing!
Old 11-30-2011, 09:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545 modded the F out

nice nice? very jealous but happy for you.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:14 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by umichchris
price.

the LCI models were on average roughly $10k to $20k more expensive...and that was for an 08, the CIC didnt appear until 09 or maybe as late as 2010....and those were $60+ lol. i shopped nationwide and really looked at prices hard. also did a good amount of research in various forums (M5board mostly) i also spoke directly with a couple M5 owners on what to look out for and what to request. i got my car for what i feel was an awesome deal esp given the milage. i also had them install a brand new clutch and flywheel, plus do a full software update. this car had every option i could think of except for a heated steering wheel (i was really picky during my search....turns out the HUD kinds sucks tho lol). anyway, i ultimately paid over $20k less than what i was initially looking to spend when i started my search....plus now i have an excuse to stay in may garage and retrofit some things

just put on my badges and removed all the grills for prep, prime and paint, im at it again

as far as the CIC, its an awesome mod, if i could go back in time i would keep that as well as my LCI tails, but at the time i was leaning towards an E92 M3 before i changed my mind....eventually ill do the retrofit again...its a lot of fun to be honest....except for the price gouging that can be a part of the process...
What are prepping and priming your grills for? Paint? Do you have good info on paint adhesion to the chrome? I kinda figured you would be blacking out the grills soon. BTW, I like this car too...!!!
Old 12-01-2011, 03:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Congratulations on your M5 purchase!! Black FTW!!
Old 12-01-2011, 03:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i manual
Model Year: 2008
Engine: V8

Congrats Chris! She looks amazing and I can't wait to see her when she is finished
Old 12-01-2011, 04:27 AM
Senior Members

i spent a good amount of time thinking about a solid process after painting my old set of grills didnt turn out perfectly. so i have developed a strategy that i think will work well. i have also painted a few items here and there over the past year and began perfecting my process.
  • thoroughly wash the grills, soap & water then with alcohol
  • sand all surfaces with a 600 to 1000 grit sandpaper. this will etch the plastic as well as remove the chrome paint/plating on the grills
  • now we have bare plastic....use an adhesion promoter (i used bulldog brand) put down two light coats
  • now use an automotive primer - put down two coats....one light, one regular
  • now its time for the paint of your choice, im using some PPG custom mixed paint that exactly BMW Black Sapphire metalli (code 475)
  • two or three coats of the regular paint then use two coats of PPG quality clear coat
  • be sure that throughout the process that the parts are not cold, they should be room temperature at a minimum
  • allow ample drying time between coats to avoid that orange peel look
the reason for all the coats and primer is the fact that these are the front grills, i dont want them chipping from road debris. im doing the front and side grills like this. the scoops, brake calipers and H&R springs will be a similar but a little different approach...

Originally Posted by tonyb635
What are prepping and priming your grills for? Paint? Do you have good info on paint adhesion to the chrome? I kinda figured you would be blacking out the grills soon. BTW, I like this car too...!!!

Quick Reply: #OperationV10