E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Oil for M5 - Urgent Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 05:40 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by Shezmon
great reply's gentlemen... rn't we guys like freakin angels from heaven ?
First thing you gotta check how low the oil is.... read the manual
if its not too low then just go and grab a bottle or two from the dealer tomorrow
If it seems very low since the light came on
Then u could always grab any synthic oil (yes i mean ANY) the closest grade will be 10w40.. should do just fine...
adding one quart will not damage your motor...
But def get an oil change sooner or later (but not too late months or so) if you add another grade.. just so the viscosity could be the same through out and it wouldn't be too hard on the oil pump...
Ciao. (and please dun freak out.. its just a freakin car... j/k)
Correct!

MAKE SURE IT READS "+1 QT". JUST BECAUSE IT SAYS LOW, DOESN'T MEAN YOU NEED TO ADD A QUART. IT WILL TELL YOU WHEN TO ADD 1 QUART VIA IDRIVE AND IT WILL ALSO TELL YOU THIS IN THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER, WHERE IT WILL SAY +1 QT. VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU REALIZE THAT.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by aR.
Thanks for everyone's opinion and advice on the M5 oil.
Is everyone following factory oil change intervals or a lesser oil change interval is recommended.
someone has mentioned to me once to change the oil on every 5,000 miles. is it true as since I have the car for less than 8,000 miles I have yet to change the oil
what is the overall suggestion on this oil change interval for M5.
factory computer readings or ..?
I do mine every 3K.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 M5 (E60) Interlagos blue, Silverstone interior, with cold weather package. Adaptive Xenon headlamps and adaptive brake lights, hud, comfort access. Comfort seats, basically fully loaded.

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer
I do mine every 3K.
C u're a freak i do mine every 4-6 months cuz i hardly drive at all (less than 2k miles every 6 months). or before and after i take a long ass trip.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:53 PM
aR.
Members

Correct!

MAKE SURE IT READS "+1 QT". JUST BECAUSE IT SAYS LOW, DOESN'T MEAN YOU NEED TO ADD A QUART. IT WILL TELL YOU WHEN TO ADD 1 QUART VIA IDRIVE AND IT WILL ALSO TELL YOU THIS IN THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER, WHERE IT WILL SAY +1 QT. VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU REALIZE THAT.
I just re-looked at my iDrive menu and could not locate the setting you are mentioning to check. Where in the settings is this menu which shows as how much oil is needed. Please guide me to the right place.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:56 PM
aR.
Members

I do mine every 3K.
WoW.. 3,000 miles... that is Low..or is it..?

I do normal driving and this M is my daily driver using about 250 miles a week or so in normal city / Highway combination drive. Do You think I need to chaneg with a normal 5,000 - 10,000 intervals. Any advice will be appreciated.
do you do it yourself or have the dealer take care of it for you.
How involved is the process to change the oil of an M?
Old 04-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by aR.
I just re-looked at my iDrive menu and could not locate the setting you are mentioning to check. Where in the settings is this menu which shows as how much oil is needed. Please guide me to the right place.
You have the manual?
Old 04-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by aR.
WoW.. 3,000 miles... that is Low..or is it..?

I do normal driving and this M is my daily driver using about 250 miles a week or so in normal city / Highway combination drive. Do You think I need to chaneg with a normal 5,000 - 10,000 intervals. Any advice will be appreciated.
do you do it yourself or have the dealer take care of it for you.
How involved is the process to change the oil of an M?
I have my indy mechanic do it. When the service lights come on for the car, I take it to my dealer for the free servicing. I would never take my M to the dealer and pay their rates. I would highly recommend finding a good indy mechanic and becoming best friends with them. it will save you thousands if you plan on keeping the car.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:41 PM
aR.
Members

I have my indy mechanic do it. When the service lights come on for the car, I take it to my dealer for the free servicing. I would never take my M to the dealer and pay their rates. I would highly recommend finding a good indy mechanic and becoming best friends with them. it will save you thousands if you plan on keeping the car.
Is there a location to find a independent mechanic for M in Baltimore/ Columbia area.. how do I find one..?
Any master listing where I can search..?
Old 04-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

If Castrol High Performance Synthetic Oil is not available and you need to add oil between oil changes, only use synthetic oils with the following specifications for M vehicles:
  • Viscosity - preferred SAE 10W-60
  • Alternative - SAE 10W-40, SAE 5W-50 or SAE 10W-50
Use only oils with an API rating of SJ/CF, SK/CF or higher.

Synthetic Engine Oils - BMW NA

Independent BMW Service Professionals
Old 04-21-2010, 05:08 AM
aR.
Members

Originally Posted by dbae1978
After you add the 1 bottle, wait a day or two before checking the levels. It usually takes a while for the sensors to register the total amount. you're car won't blow up if you wait until the morning.
I picked up a bottles of Castrol 10W-60 from the BMW dealership this morning and have added on quart to the M to fill its needs. Now waiting to see as when it will start to register. As mentioned above it will take a day or two to happen. will keep an eye on it.

Thanks again for everyone's help. very much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Oil for M5 - Urgent Help Please