E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Oil for M5 - Urgent Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 05:12 PM
aR.
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some urgent help.
I just got home after a long day and my engine oil low light just came out. I gone over the manual and read that it needs 10W-60 oil.
All dealerships are closed at this time ( 9.00 pm EST)
called the local gas stations and one local Exxon has 10W-40 which is one of the recommended oils in the manual if 10W-60 is not available. so I guess that will work..but I do not know if it needs to be synthetic or regular kind of oil to use..?..?
I have never changed the oil myself and have taken the car twice to dealership to service it as it has less than 16,000 miles on it.
anyone one knows as what kind of oil is used in M5's ..
any kind of urgent help is highly appreciated as I would like to take care of tonight as I need to drive the car very early for work in the morning .

Thanks and Appreciated
Old 04-20-2010, 05:14 PM
Contributors

you should only use the recommended oil for M vehicles. Go to the dealership tomorrow.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

It's late...can you wait to go to the dealer in the morning? I have learned to keep 2 bottles handy. I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago and luckily I had my reserve.

If you can wait until tomorrow I would. Just go to the parts counter and buy a couple of bottles. Then add one bottle to your engine. You'll be good to go.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by aR.
I need some urgent help.
I just got home after a long day and my engine oil low light just came out. I gone over the manual and read that it needs 10W-60 oil.
All dealerships are closed at this time ( 9.00 pm EST)
called the local gas stations and one local Exxon has 10W-40 which is one of the recommended oils in the manual if 10W-60 is not available. so I guess that will work..but I do not know if it needs to be synthetic or regular kind of oil to use..?..?
I have never changed the oil myself and have taken the car twice to dealership to service it as it has less than 16,000 miles on it.
anyone one knows as what kind of oil is used in M5's ..
any kind of urgent help is highly appreciated as I would like to take care of tonight as I need to drive the car very early for work in the morning .

Thanks and Appreciated
You'll be fine for one day bud. Don't pummel the car and drive easy. No redlining. Keep it in 400 Mode (I know that's very hard to do, since my car has never seen 400. Hahaha!), but you'll be fine. And order yourself a case of oil and keep it in your garage. You should also ALWAYS keep a quart of oil in your car, no matter what. I don't think i've ever not had a full quart in the trunk. oh yeah, and you can only use 10w-60. you'll be fine. don't sweat it.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:20 PM
Contributors

After you add the 1 bottle, wait a day or two before checking the levels. It usually takes a while for the sensors to register the total amount. you're car won't blow up if you wait until the morning.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Oh, and you should know how to drop a quart of oil in your M. that should be mandatory for all owners. don't depend on your dealer for that. i go through quarts all the time. just make sure you let the car cool down before throwing in the oil.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:27 PM
aR.
Members

Thanks for everyone's comment and urgent input.
I will definitely wait till the morning and get a quart from the dealership.
for ordering a case as suggested, where do you order and buy a case of 10W-60 on line..? and what kind of oil to purchase..?
any help will be highly appreciated.
Thanks so very much appreciated...
Old 04-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 M5 (E60) Interlagos blue, Silverstone interior, with cold weather package. Adaptive Xenon headlamps and adaptive brake lights, hud, comfort access. Comfort seats, basically fully loaded.

great reply's gentlemen... rn't we guys like freakin angels from heaven ?
First thing you gotta check how low the oil is.... read the manual
if its not too low then just go and grab a bottle or two from the dealer tomorrow
If it seems very low since the light came on
Then u could always grab any synthic oil (yes i mean ANY) the closest grade will be 10w40.. should do just fine...
adding one quart will not damage your motor...
But def get an oil change sooner or later (but not too late months or so) if you add another grade.. just so the viscosity could be the same through out and it wouldn't be too hard on the oil pump...
Ciao. (and please dun freak out.. its just a freakin car... j/k)
Old 04-20-2010, 05:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by aR.
Thanks for everyone's comment and urgent input.
I will definitely wait till the morning and get a quart from the dealership.
for ordering a case as suggested, where do you order and buy a case of 10W-60 on line..? and what kind of oil to purchase..?
any help will be highly appreciated.
Thanks so very much appreciated...
I buy from Tischer so I get the discount. I believe cost is around $15/bottle. I think it works out to $10.40 with the discount from Tischer or Garry. For tomorrow, just tell them you have an E60 M5 and you'll get the oil you need. They know. It's Castrol 10W-60 made specifically for BMW M cars only.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:40 PM
aR.
Members

Thanks for everyone's opinion and advice on the M5 oil.
Is everyone following factory oil change intervals or a lesser oil change interval is recommended.
someone has mentioned to me once to change the oil on every 5,000 miles. is it true as since I have the car for less than 8,000 miles I have yet to change the oil
what is the overall suggestion on this oil change interval for M5.
factory computer readings or ..?

Quick Reply: Oil for M5 - Urgent Help Please