E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

New 7 speed transmission, M-DCT

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 05:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Black Sapphire Metallic 07' 550i

If this report is true...good reason to hold off getting an MY'08 M5 where SMG becomes obsolete soon.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

oops I just posted this item on other post, on well.
cool at last BMW are making 1.
I have a 7 speed autobox with something simaly two clutches, with peddle shift in my New Honda Stepwgn.
when I changing gear I can not feel it at all, itis so smooth.
This is a must buy for any car.
New 7 speed transmission, M-DCT-stepwgn.jpg
Old 09-20-2007, 05:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Microstar' post='471814' date='Sep 19 2007, 08:57 PM
If this report is true...good reason to hold off getting an MY'08 M5 where SMG becomes obsolete soon.
True, but it would also mean there will be some great deals on 2008 M5s that are still sitting around next Spring - and on nice used M5s that get traded in for the upgraded model.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:45 AM
Senior Members

Thumbs up

M-DCT, could someone explain what type of transmission this is?,

and Which models could it be on ?

Thanks
Old 09-20-2007, 11:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by E60BEEMER' post='472090' date='Sep 20 2007, 06:45 PM
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails New 7 speed transmission, M-DCT-homer.jpg  
Old 09-20-2007, 05:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by E60BEEMER' post='472090' date='Sep 20 2007, 11:45 PM

Thanks
A twin-clutch gearbox or dual clutch transmission (DCT) is a semi-automatic transmission with separate clutches for odd and even gears. The outer clutch drives the odd numbered gears and reverse, while the inner clutch drives the even numbered gears. Shifts can be accomplished without interrupting power, by applying the engine's torque to one clutch just as the engine's torque is being disconnected from the other clutch. Since the synchronizers that select an odd gear can be moved while driving the car in an even gear, and vice versa, DCT's have been configured which shift faster than Formula One cars and other single-clutch AMT's (automated-manual transmissions, a.k.a. single-clutch semi-automatics); the shift can also be made smoother and more suitable for street-driving than a single-clutch AMT is capable of.

A twin-clutch gearbox eliminates the torque converter, which is a major source of parasitic loss in a traditional automatic transmission. However, dual clutch transmissions that are currently on the market use wet multi-plate clutches, similar to the clutches used in traditional automatic transmissions. Versions that use dry clutches, like those usually associated with manual transmissions, are rumored to be in development by several manufacturers.

This type of gearbox was invented by Andolphe K?gresse just before the outbreak of World War II, but he never developed a working model. The first actual DCT's came along in the 1980s when computers to control the shifts were compact enough: the PDK (Porsche Doppelkupplungs) used in the Porsche 956 and 962 Le Mans race cars and the Sport Quattro S1 race car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin-clutch_gearbox

I think in the end they will put it in all cars cos itis the trend and itis 1000 times smoother.
But we will have to see cos if they do put itin all cars then the price will go up again.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='471774' date='Sep 20 2007, 03:02 AM
Not sure about the more recent system but the older one it gets confused and takes a little time to search for the gear. If it anticipates a upshift and you give it a double downshift it's slower than SMG... but if you upshift when it anticipates you to upshift its fast and smooth.
Fast and smooth ey? Well...i might not like that. Sure fast is good but also smooth? That might not be a good thing. Sometimes if not most of the times i like the agresiveness of the SMG3 that makes your head tilt with such ease. I hope the dual clutch tranny bmw will offer, will have a module to control the ferocity of the change.

In other words: IF i change the car then i change it because i'm tired of drivng fast and smooth I want smth that howls and gives neck pains at every shift
Old 09-21-2007, 04:04 AM
Senior Members

A twin-clutch gearbox or dual clutch transmission (DCT) is a semi-automatic transmission with separate clutches for odd and even gears. The outer clutch drives the odd numbered gears and reverse, while the inner clutch drives the even numbered gears. Shifts can be accomplished without interrupting power, by applying the engine's torque to one clutch just as the engine's torque is being disconnected from the other clutch. Since the synchronizers that select an odd gear can be moved while driving the car in an even gear, and vice versa, DCT's have been configured which shift faster than Formula One cars and other single-clutch AMT's (automated-manual transmissions, a.k.a. single-clutch semi-automatics); the shift can also be made smoother and more suitable for street-driving than a single-clutch AMT is capable of.

A twin-clutch gearbox eliminates the torque converter, which is a major source of parasitic loss in a traditional automatic transmission. However, dual clutch transmissions that are currently on the market use wet multi-plate clutches, similar to the clutches used in traditional automatic transmissions. Versions that use dry clutches, like those usually associated with manual transmissions, are rumored to be in development by several manufacturers.

This type of gearbox was invented by Andolphe K?gresse just before the outbreak of World War II, but he never developed a working model. The first actual DCT's came along in the 1980s when computers to control the shifts were compact enough: the PDK (Porsche Doppelkupplungs) used in the Porsche 956 and 962 Le Mans race cars and the Sport Quattro S1 race car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin-clutch_gearbox

I think in the end they will put it in all cars cos itis the trend and itis 1000 times smoother.
But we will have to see cos if they do put itin all cars then the price will go up again.

thanks man thats meade a lot sof sense, i also checked out wikipedia too, thannks again

E60BEEMER
Old 10-13-2007, 12:08 PM
Members

when this clutch does come out it will be in the new M3 cpe and sedan. It will only go on the F10 M5s in 2010... their will be no major changes to the M5 anymore until the F10 is out....