E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

///My dilemma.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 11:34 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i loaded!

Ok, so. I know this is probably going to back fire as most people here with the M5 have wallets like Jay Leno and some go thru cars faster, but I will see.

As some of you know I have been looking for a 5 series for a month or two (I have never looked this long for a car) and I still have not found the perfect car. But I am very picky and I don?t know if there is such a thing as a perfect car (unless I go the individual route but that is not an option ATT, I am only 28 give me a couple of years maybe after kids).

At this time I am down to two cars (I thought my M5 deal fell through but it?s on again):

2006 M5 SMG (all the options I want) 40k and it has already had the SMG replaced once, no warranty left.
2006 550i M5 clone (minus the side vents) SMG 30k once again all the options I want and about 6k cheaper, no warranty.

While I really want the M5 I am scared about the maintenance. I want to keep this car until about 100k if not for life and when I hear about M5?s eating oil, brakes, clutches, etc?. it gives me the willies but then I look at it again and 500hp almost cancels out all that!

Currently in life I think I am fairly well off I have about 40k in cash savings, 70k in IRA?s and no debt except my 2 houses (one is rented). My wife and I both have full time jobs and are pretty stable.

So my question: Which is the smarter buy?

I know if I was worried about saving money I should get a KIA right but that isn?t going to happen it?s a German car or I am walking. I have done the VW/Audi thing and the BMW and the BMW wins hands down with my butt dyno! The 550i does have SMG so it could have the same SMG issues the M5 could have but it looks like to fix the 550i SMG it?s about 3k most of the time and M5?s Red Cog of Death! 1k-10k.

I really don?t want to get a warranty but I feel also if I get the M5 I would have too. So tack on another 4k making the 550i 10k cheaper!

I will be home in about a week or two and I will have to make my decision then.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:42 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

For one thing, if I was you I'd get a 3rd party warranty with either car. They are both REALLY expensive to fix, so if you want maintain a savings after purchase - get the warranty.
For me, it's a no-brainer. Get the M5!!! I should be in about the same position as you by next year (fingers crossed) and I know which one I will choose. The 550 is a fast car, decent on gas for a V-8, and comfy and luxurious - but no way is it an M5.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:58 AM
Contributors

You will never tire of driving an M5. Ever. The 550i is an effortlessly capable car, for sure, but at some point you will be bored and will regret not getting an M5. I did.

Get the M5 and a warranty. The $10,000 premium is worth it just for the sounds that amazing V10 engine makes.

Another suggestion ... have you considered getting an E39 M5? You can find some very well cared for examples in the $25,000 range, and they have proven to be very reliable for an M. It might be a better way to get into a fantastic machine for less money up-front and reasonable ongoing maintenance costs (as compared to the E60).

Either way you can't go terribly wrong. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Originally Posted by pjinca
For one thing, if I was you I'd get a 3rd party warranty with either car. They are both REALLY expensive to fix, so if you want maintain a savings after purchase - get the warranty.
For me, it's a no-brainer. Get the M5!!! I should be in about the same position as you by next year (fingers crossed) and I know which one I will choose. The 550 is a fast car, decent on gas for a V-8, and comfy and luxurious - but no way is it an M5.
+1

550 = very fast and makes you
M5 = adrenaline burning and makes you

Yup, get warranty for either 550i or M5. Don't forget if you care the fuel consumption, the M5 is not for you.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:14 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

SInce I drove my 545 and M5 back to back, I can seriously say if you are looking for a daily driver, DO NOT buy the M5. Gas alone will kill you. The V8 isnt slow at all. Especially M5 in P400 vs the V8, my 545 seemed more nimble. LOL. If u have a second car, get the M5 as a fun car. And a 2006 without warranty? Spend a little bit more and get a 2007 that still has warranty.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545i loaded!

ok then i wasn't going to post this just yet (I don't want someone finding my deal and stealing it =) but to thicken the pot

The ///M is $30k and the 550i is $24k.........

and the ///M is prestine, can i really pass on that???
Old 07-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 530i 06 ///M5

i say M and f the warrenty... my 2 cents.

i feel like i'm the only one that turned down an extended warrenty on my M and 530... i don't see the point i take care of my cars and yes, while this year i've spent about 2,000 on repairs (non regular maintenance costs) on the M i'm still happy with my decision on passing up on a warrenty cause the car drives better then ever and probably won't need anything other than normal maintenance for years to come.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by pjinca

Originally Posted by tachyon
You will never tire of driving an M5. Ever. The 550i is an effortlessly capable car, for sure, but at some point you will be bored and will regret not getting an M5. I did.

Get the M5 and a warranty. The $10,000 premium is worth it just for the sounds that amazing V10 engine makes.

Another suggestion ... have you considered getting an E39 M5? You can find some very well cared for examples in the $25,000 range, and they have proven to be very reliable for an M. It might be a better way to get into a fantastic machine for less money up-front and reasonable ongoing maintenance costs (as compared to the E60).

Either way you can't go terribly wrong. Good luck.

Originally Posted by miguex
+1

550 = very fast and makes you
M5 = adrenaline burning and makes you

Yup, get warranty for either 550i or M5. Don't forget if you care the fuel consumption, the M5 is not for you.
+10000 on all of these. If you do not have champagne pockets, that is all the more reason to get an extended warranty. If you want a comfy, torquey daily driver, get the 550. But if you want ALL OUT PERFORMANCE, get the M5. At higher speeds, the M5 is astonishingly faster than the 550. But that is the not case from about 0 to 40. But for all out performance, the 550 does not hold a candle to the almighty M5.

I strongly suggest that you take lengthy test drives in both. As in hours of seat time. The two cars' power curves are nothing alike and serve entirely different driving needs.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 530i 06 ///M5

o i don't have champagne pockets either... I just work with extended warranties on a daily basis and realize who the one's making out are (obviously, not the consumer.) I would rather take care of my own bills then have someone make money off my purchases. This is my personal opinion and how I've lived my life and I take care of my possessions and maintain them, and the repair bills never end up costing me as much as a warranty, never the less, freak problems do happen and I understand why these are available but I'm a gambling man and so far (not to jinx myself) i've come out on top.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by skunkd
o i don't have champagne pockets either... I just work with extended warranties on a daily basis and realize who the one's making out are (obviously, not the consumer.) I would rather take care of my own bills then have someone make money off my purchases. This is my personal opinion and how I've lived my life and I take care of my possessions and maintain them, and the repair bills never end up costing me as much as a warranty, never the less, freak problems do happen and I understand why these are available but I'm a gambling man and so far (not to jinx myself) i've come out on top.
It's obvious the warranty/insurance companies are the ones making out or those industries would never exist. Most people do it for the peace of mine and the fact that if you happen to face those "freak" instances, what you paid for your warranty would seem insignificant compared to what it would have cost out of pocket. It's great that you take care of your own bills but don't tell me you don't pay for homeowners insurance, life insuracne, health insurance....etc..

Quick Reply: ///My dilemma.....