E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

M5 US Options list Priority

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 04:21 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious as to what current owners, and others thought about the options for the M5 that are available. These are the options for the US model but anyone can answer. How would you rank in importance? Can be price independent or dependent.

Head's up Display ($1000)

M Multi-function seats with active width adjustment ($1900)

Merino Leather full ($3500)

Perforated Merino Leather full (requires M Multifunction seats) ($3500)

Seat Ventilation (requires Perforated Leather) ($800)

Sirius Satelite Radio ($595)

Rear heated seats ($350)

Power rear sunshade/manual side shades ($575)

Comfort Access ($1000)

Split fold down rear seats ($475)

Just curious, and got my information from BMW configurator. It lists rear side airbags as option, but not in configurator.

Specifically interested in weather the M Multifunction seats are high priority as well as the Full/Perforated Merino leathers. Specific opinions on these two would also be appreciated.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Well, I don't own an M5, but I do have a 545, and have seen a few M5's at the dealership.

I would say that the HUD is a must-have (honestly, I can't believe it's not standard equipment).

Having seen the Full-leather dash and console, I would say that the full Merino leather package is a must-have as well.

The sport seats in my 545 are pleny supportive, so I don't know what else I could gain by having the M-multifunction seats.

-MrB
Old 01-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

If you are buying an M5, then there is no reason not to get it fully loaded.

Buying an M5 without "the works" is wasting valuable production time...
Old 01-05-2006, 04:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

I would go for HUD..I regret not getting it....luckily my lease is up in a year so I'll get it next time...I personally would go for the ventilated seats, that way you get the comfort seats but with active side bolsters..
Old 01-05-2006, 04:40 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by SolarFactory' post='219772' date='Jan 5 2006, 05:22 PM
I would go for HUD..I regret not getting it....luckily my lease is up in a year so I'll get it next time...I personally would go for the ventilated seats, that way you get the comfort seats but with active side bolsters..
The M sport seats have active side bolsters, whether you get ventilation or not.

If you order ventilated seats, you get seats that look very much like the comfort seats on the 7er. Without ventilated seats, they look like the sport seats in the brochures, which have more deeply cut side bolsters, particularly on the seat bottoms.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by CRRobert' post='219307' date='Jan 4 2006, 08:21 PM
Just curious as to what current owners, and others thought about the options for the M5 that are available. These are the options for the US model but anyone can answer. How would you rank in importance? Can be price independent or dependent.

Rear heated seats ($350)

Comfort Access ($1000)

Just curious, and got my information from BMW configurator. It lists rear side airbags as option, but not in configurator.

Specifically interested in weather the M Multifunction seats are high priority as well as the Full/Perforated Merino leathers. Specific opinions on these two would also be appreciated.
Here are my 2 cents:

1. Ventilated seats are must haves for a $90K car. They mandate perforated leather and active with adjustment

2. Comfort access is needed otherwise Start/Stop button has no advantage over the old style key

3. HUD is nice to impress your female friends. According to Edmunds review HUD tach is about 1,500 RPM behind the actual RPM making HU tach useless.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:43 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mrbelk' post='219498' date='Jan 5 2006, 03:38 PM
Well, I don't own an M5, but I do have a 545, and have seen a few M5's at the dealership.

I would say that the HUD is a must-have (honestly, I can't believe it's not standard equipment).

Having seen the Full-leather dash and console, I would say that the full Merino leather package is a must-have as well.

The sport seats in my 545 are pleny supportive, so I don't know what else I could gain by having the M-multifunction seats.

-MrB
Hey there i received my M5 two weeks ago, its fully loaded except for the Satelite radio. must have is the HUD, I love the full merino leather, and the active seats are great. i live in Europe, so I do a lot of aggressive driving, the seats react to cornering and speed. they are comfortable, really adjustable and i love them. if you have kids, winter time rear heated seats are must have. Comfort access, maaan thats a must have also. Rear power sunshades??? I have them also, but have not used them once, except to see if the really go up and down. I reall must have, get your limiter removed, you really get more torqe. The BMW European dealerships can remove them after your break in milage. fee is a little expensive,and you get a driving class and course. I have the split down rear seats, have ot used them yet either. you do get a huge trunk
Old 01-06-2006, 06:21 AM
Contributors

Yeah, I really like the HUD on my car, so that would be on the list. Not quite sure about the perforated/ventilated. Have on my car now, and very rarely use it. Hope the dealer has an M5 that I can look at the difference between the extended and full leather. I guess I could care less about the comfort access, have not used it and see nothing wrong with turning a key. Maybe it is one of those things that are not necessary until you have it once. Don't really us the rear/side sunshade on my car now, so probably would not get either.

Appreciate the opinions.

Currently looking at the following:
Interlagos Blue
Black extended merino interior
Aluminum trim
HUD
Fold down rear seats
Rear seat heating
Sirius
Old 01-06-2006, 07:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by CRRobert' post='219307' date='Jan 4 2006, 05:21 PM

Rear heated seats ($350)

Comfort Access ($1000)

HUD
Merino Full Leather
Comfort Access

Those three only in that order.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by SergeyM' post='219869

Rear heated seats ($350)

Comfort Access ($1000)

Here are my 2 cents:

1. Ventilated seats are must haves for a $90K car. They mandate perforated leather and active with adjustment

2. Comfort access is needed otherwise Start/Stop button has no advantage over the old style key

3. HUD is nice to impress your female friends. According to Edmunds review HUD tach is about 1,500 RPM behind the actual RPM making HU tach useless.
[/quote]

Take a look on m5board, I have seen some post that now claim otherwise on the lag. I cannot get to that board from work as it is blocked otherwise I would post a link to some of the discussion. Per the M5 manual it also displays the gear in what they call the M View

Quick Reply: M5 US Options list Priority