E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

M5 Personal Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 09:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW M-Power

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Aug 21 2004, 09:58 AM
[quote name='browellm' date='Aug 21 2004, 05:00 PM'] Any chance you can sort that sig out?
Why ?
You don't like football ?? [/quote]

BTW browelln, if you actually read my sig, you might actually "get it" what is really relavent to this thread.

cheerrioss

beewang
Old 08-21-2004, 09:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jtxc' date='Aug 21 2004, 10:03 AM
.....? I told my mole at the dealership I HAVE to do an ED on this one.....
You do realize that by doing the ED route, you are actually slowing the process of receiving the M5 in stateside, right??

That is the reason why choose NOT to do ED on my 2002 M5, and instead opted for pickup from my dealer in BMW of Cleveland, and drove xross country back to home.

Without any monetary incentive/concession, I would NOT want to have my ///M car ASAP.

cheers,

beewang
Old 08-21-2004, 09:45 AM
Senior Members

beewang,
why did you go with a dealer in clevelend? since I'm in Columbus, knowing a good dealer in Cleveland would be nice to know about.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by beewang' date='Aug 21 2004, 11:22 AM
That is the reason why choose NOT to do ED on my 2002 M5, and instead opted for pickup from my dealer in BMW of Cleveland, and drove xross country back to home.

Without any monetary incentive/concession, I would NOT want to have my ///M car ASAP.
Speed of delivery is not as important to me as being able to drive the car on holy ground. My dream is to pick her up in Germany and drive. I would head south through Italy, Monaco, Southern France, Burgundy, Bordeaux, Paris, then back to Germany. I estimate by that time I will have passed the break in miledge (and consumed a massive amount of fine wine, not while driving of course) and can then let her out a little on the Auto Bahn. Final stop the Nurburing for a lap or two.

The wait for stateside shipping would not be too much fun (been there) but if I pull the trigger on this one the car is for keeps, it will be a garage queen so the "provenance" of the trip would be kinda cool.

p.s. am I missing something about the wait, is it longer than a normal delivery.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:29 PM
Senior Members

If you drop it off in Germany, the wait will be 5-6 weeks. Sounds like a great trip - make sure to do the factory tour - you will have to book far in advance.
Old 08-21-2004, 04:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Aug 21 2004, 11:45 AM
beewang,
why did you go with a dealer in clevelend? since I'm in Columbus, knowing a good dealer in Cleveland would be nice to know about.
Hey gdavis
Here is the deal w/ why I bought the M5 3k miles away a couple years ago.

1) The West Coast market is MUCH different then that of East and MidWest. At that time, my Oregon dealer has an astronimical wait list. In fact, 1 year after the introduction of M5, every west coast dealer who charges MSRP has a waiting list in excess of 2 year. If you want one right away, you'd have to pay an outrageous premium over sticker.

2) My Salesman Tyler Grube who sold me a ED 330cic in 2000 at Dave Walter BMW in Akron jump ship to Cleveland BMW in Solon, got me a spot for 2002 M5 to my spec and discounted the (at the time) hot M5 for me Gave me a great excuse to fly out to Cleveland

Now you know

cheers,

beewang
Old 08-22-2004, 05:37 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I will seriously consider it after my 545is lease is up. I would like red interior with the silver grey exterior color.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:46 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by beewang' date='Aug 21 2004, 06:51 PM
[quote name='gdavis' date='Aug 21 2004, 11:45 AM'] beewang,
Hey gdavis
Here is the deal w/ why I bought the M5 3k miles away a couple years ago.

1) The West Coast market is MUCH different then that of East and MidWest. At that time, my Oregon dealer has an astronimical wait list. In fact, 1 year after the introduction of M5, every west coast dealer who charges MSRP has a waiting list in excess of 2 year. If you want one right away, you'd have to pay an outrageous premium over sticker.

2) My Salesman Tyler Grube who sold me a ED 330cic in 2000 at Dave Walter BMW in Akron jump ship to Cleveland BMW in Solon, got me a spot for 2002 M5 to my spec and discounted the (at the time) hot M5 for me Gave me a great excuse to fly out to Cleveland

Now you know

cheers,

beewang [/quote]
I think the M5 allocations, similar to the 545 allocations, are determined by how many 525/530's an individual dealer sells. In Metro NY you can usually get what you want right away and there are enough dealers to keep the premium charges in check.
I was one of the first cars with SMG, I ordered and had the car built, and got it within 7 weeks. Got $2500 off by dealer another $1000 from BMW via BMWCCA.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

I think it's too bad they didn't develop a manual (7-speed?) for the new M5. Offering only SMG (awesome, I know, but what if I want a stick?) was surprising.

My wife suspects I will move my 545iM over to her side of the garage next year and get an M5. I really don't want to blow that kind of jack (I presume US$90K by the time it's all over) so soon after the 2004 545. Maybe when I'm tired of my 545 in ten years I'll see what the M show has on offer....
Old 08-22-2004, 06:22 PM
Contributors

Of course many of us dream about the M5 - the machine is going to be awesome. For me in addition to the $$$ I think the 545i is more practical. The 545i already too fast for US roads - I don't think I could really enjoy the M5 in the States since you could never really wind it up (unless you went to the track).

My last car was a 99 M3 Convertible which I loved but the 545i is plenty fast, handles well and is really much more comfortable . Between the two the 545i is a better allaround car. For me at least despite coming off an M3 the M5 will just remain a car to lust after :'( .

Quick Reply: M5 Personal Problem