E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

M5 Kills RS6 then comes the near heart-attack

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driving on a 4-lane commercial road after picking up my car from service, I noticed a shiny grey Audi behind me - aggressively zipping through traffic. He drew up alongside, then squirted into a spot in front of me, and I saw to that this was the Audi 'big boy' RS6. It really looked nice - very clean silver grey with come carbon fiber trim.

Of course I stuck on his tail and we both slid into the left hand lane to enter the freeway. He turned onto the onramp and was on the gas pretty good, and I just stuck to his tail in 2nd gear, then shifted into 3rd when we merged onto the highway and just went by him like he wasn't even trying.

I slowed and let him catch up at about 70 in 3rd gear, then floored it. It wasn't really fair, since I had the jump, but he went backwards pretty quick. I hit 4th gear at 105 and continued to 120 or so, and he was pretty far behind, so I slowed to let him catch up.

There wasn't really room to do a side-by-side, so I repeated the runs each time the road cleared ahead of me - a couple more times. The third time I didn't go full throttle until I knew he did, but the result was the same.

Nice guy, we traded thumbs-up when he had to get off at his exit. Now he's had the "M5 experience"!

The 'heart attack" point comes a couple minutes later, I'm merging onto 275 from 71, and I spot a new 'vette up ahead. So I goose it to catch up, and I'm doing 95-100 mph when all hell breaks loose with the Valentine and the Blinder! As I'm doing the 'nose dive' brake, I look to the left ('vette was on the right), and I see a cop standing behind his car with the laser aimed right at me! Heart is beating very fast now, and I check my speed - 55 mph, and I turn off the Blinder so he can get a reading of me obeying the speed limit. He's still got the gun on me as I cruise past, then turns and goes back to hitting the oncoming traffic.

Yes, I think the laser jammer just paid for itself...
Old 03-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Senior Members

Old 03-30-2006, 12:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

good story with that laser jammer....
but still there is something wrong with the RS6... no doubt the M5 is faster but not this much.... maybe he does not know how to drive.....
Old 03-30-2006, 12:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

BTW about that laser jammer.... is it a hardwired unit? I mean how does the jammer differs from the radar detector designvise? I know the functionality point......
How much is the jammer in the states? We all know that the radar detector for US differ from the EU ones because of the frequency police uses. However what about the jammer? it is for laser guns so is not laser beam the same no matter what and where used???
Old 03-30-2006, 04:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Hahhaa so he couldnt get the reading the first time cuz you jammed it? and then turned it off so he can get a 55mph reading? NICE!!! :thumbsup"
Old 03-30-2006, 05:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='262699' date='Mar 30 2006, 04:44 PM
BTW about that laser jammer.... is it a hardwired unit? I mean how does the jammer differs from the radar detector designvise? I know the functionality point......
How much is the jammer in the states? We all know that the radar detector for US differ from the EU ones because of the frequency police uses. However what about the jammer? it is for laser guns so is not laser beam the same no matter what and where used???
It's the Blinder Xtreme M40 brand Laser Jammer - the top rated one in all the tests. You have two units you can put in the front and two in the back. When a unit senses a laser signal, the system emits a laser jamming signal so the gun can't get a reading. Laser jammers are legal in the US, except for a couple states. Radar jammers are illegal in all states. I was lucky he was using a laser that I could jam, and not an 'instant on' radar gun.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:42 PM
Senior Members

I got some flashbacks, reading your story!!!

Driving the M5 is like going from ....to..... in notime .... all the time
Old 03-31-2006, 03:19 AM
Senior Members

Does the V1 work in the UK?
Old 03-31-2006, 03:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Two good stories in one. Way to go on both.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i Touring, M Sport, build date 10/05, Silver Grey, Black leather, Maple Anthracite, Anthracite roof lining, panorama roof, M Aerodynamic, M Steering wheel, M Sport suspension, sport seats, shadow line, 135 M wheels, Goodyear NCT 5 runflats, and some other stuff too.

It always comes down to the driver. A good driver in an RS6 will take an ordinary one in an M5 no probs and vice versa. They are pretty close cars. It may have also had something to do with the risks one is willing to take. In some places, get caught doing that speed and it's automatic loss of licence

Quick Reply: M5 Kills RS6 then comes the near heart-attack