E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

M5 Exterior Window Pillar/Trim defect on Saphire Black

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 08:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ladies and Gents,

I have had my 2006 M5 for almost 2 years now, and have dealt with this problem from day1. The trim around my windows including the 2" wide pillars after washing or a rain show a gasoline looking grime on them and it drives me NUTS. I RARELY take my car through touch less washes or any sort of auto wash, because I much prefer to wash/dry by hand. But even after vigorous cleaning of these trim pieces, i was noticing that this gasoline looking film appears, and looks like Donkey Shit.

I had approached the dealer regarding this and they admitted that they had some issues with this, but the only offer they gave me was to replace it with a matte/plastic looking trim which was found on the lower end e60's. I did not want that as it really does not look good. The dealer has put their "Special Compound" on it, which lasts about 2 weeks, and then i am dealing with the same issue. I have had my car detailed twice this year, and the same thing happens.

Tell me someone out there with sapphire black has dealt with this stupid issue and has an easy fix for me! I will post some pics if needed, but i'd have to go take some.

Thanks

Aartsy
Old 09-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 M5 (E60) Interlagos blue, Silverstone interior, with cold weather package. Adaptive Xenon headlamps and adaptive brake lights, hud, comfort access. Comfort seats, basically fully loaded.

i think i have same problem w/ my car, but since i just bought it i am taking it back to the dealer for them to replace it. Its like this acid liquid that eats into it, it can not be taken off. I thought at first that it was from acid rain, but NO. Some time detailers overspray the brake dust cleaners and they can do this also... gud luck either way.. and gud luck to me too.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Shezmon
i think i have same problem w/ my car, but since i just bought it i am taking it back to the dealer for them to replace it. Its like this acid liquid that eats into it, it can not be taken off. I thought at first that it was from acid rain, but NO. Some time detailers overspray the brake dust cleaners and they can do this also... gud luck either way.. and gud luck to me too.
It DOES come off.. a wax compound or a good clean will get it off, but not completely.

I am going to call my dealer and see what they will do for me (with an out of warranty car)
Old 09-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i AW - every option

I recently got my M, and noticed this as well. Its really irritating. I'm eager to see some solutions.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

easy fix-need a rotary/orbital polisher (not the cheap autozone ones)-more like a portal cable- (detailedimage.com has all info youd want), and a all-in-one polish/mild polish, not a "wax" but an actual polish which has the lightest of abrasives/cleaners in it with combo of the correct very mild foam pad on the polisher and will polish that stuff right out.

or take it to a detailer if you konw a good one but none that I trust out there
Old 09-27-2010, 11:35 AM
Senior Members

I get my car "detailed" and polished twice a year by one of the best i've seen.. the problem still comes back after a while
Old 09-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 M5 (E60) Interlagos blue, Silverstone interior, with cold weather package. Adaptive Xenon headlamps and adaptive brake lights, hud, comfort access. Comfort seats, basically fully loaded.

my car had it all over the windows also... John (brabusw/209amg) actually witnessed it in person... Its been at the dealer for a few days now regarding this problem and another lil problem here and there. Lets see what they do. The detail dept could'nt get it out... They told me that they'll involve BMW of NA as the car was purchased from them and sold to me direct cuz it was an executive demo... Hmmmmmm I miss it already.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:30 PM
Senior Members

Wax and buff
Old 09-28-2010, 05:50 AM
Senior Members

Im not going to wax an buff my car everytime it rains or i need to wash it. What a stupid fucking problem on a $130K car.. BMW gets it right with most stuff, not this pathetic problem.

Im pissed off.. im sick of looking at this gasoline shitty finish on the pillars... FAACK!
Old 09-28-2010, 06:00 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by Bronze545i
Wax and buff
It will make the trim look worse. Look for a black trim polish, or use a polymer-based polish (as opposed to carnuaba). Granted, it is a temporary cover-up.