E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

M5 Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 08:51 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leasing is important to me as I can write off more of the car this way given my situation. I like to change every few years anyway and would not consider driving an M5 without warranty. I picked up mine which was 2 years old for $89k, new the car is $130k as you know (full merino, etc.) plus tax of course. So I just couldn't justify a 2008 based on lease rates. The car I found had only 13,000km on it and did not have a single stone chip or mark on it so a $41k plus tax discount was very worth it IMO...and it come with the certified series warranty to 160,000km. The BMW lease rate was 8.75% (M cars never get the incentive rates) so I just did a lump sum pre-paid lease: 36 months for $54k (including 16% tax) which saved a bunch of interest. So I will enjoy the car for 36 months then hand back the keys. If I want another M5 at that point I would probably do the same thing - get an 08 or 09 certified series with warranty, but more than likely will be ready for what ever the next thing is......

On the point of importing - I looked into it and it would have cost me $70k US to buy the same used car in Seattle (without import costs)....but given that I want to lease (even though I have cash and can pre-pay) it made an import less attractive. I would also not have a certified series warranty. My dealer treats me well and I am really busy so the hassle of importing was a factor. When you look at the warranty issue and the fact that I only want to purchase "3 years worth" of the car, I decided to stay in Canada. I am also unsure of the future value of a US car vs. Canadian car come trade in time - is the dealer going to be less generous on trade? Also if the dealers have their way you will see a lot of propoganda about the "horror stories" of buying a US car - it might make it less desirable down the road especially if the car turns out to have a history of problems.

I like the idea of turning in the keys in 36 months for a number of reasons, some already stated, but in addition I am concerned that there may be some confluence of events that results in $3 per litre gas - if that happens you won't be able to give the M5 away.

As far as colour combo, it's really whatever does it for you. The car is a bit "showy" no matter what the colour when compared to 550. People will look at you at a stop light - some clearly admiring the beauty of the car and others with a jealous sneer. But it's still a car you can pick up clients in, etc., and is not in anyway "bling" in my opinion. Most people don't understand what an "M" is anyway - they just see an expensive, gas guzzling, German uber-sedan. That alone seems to piss some people off - for reasons know only to them.

I just checked my computer and the car says 10.2mpg (Canadian car so I assume this is imperial gallons?) My driving is 100% metro Vancouver, no highway miles to speak of. About half the time I drive it in P500 sport and drive in a spirited manner, and the other half of the time I have my kids with me so am putting along staring at the bumper of the car in from of me....... I would expect on a highway you would do quite a bit better (16?).

Your reference to the Regina/Calgary run makes me curious as to your location - you should update your signiture. I was born and raised in Regina (go Riders!)

Cheers.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:33 AM
Members

Hi Westcoast,

I totally get what you are saying about leasing and agree with all of your reasons, especially with repect to an M car. $89,000 is a huge savings over new at $127,000, although my cap cost would be $117,000 at 3.9%. I'm not sure what your residual is after 3 years. Not to be nosy, but I'm just trying to work the numbers out for searching for a used M5 to lease.

When I look at the BMW Canada website, on new cars, the residuals look like this" 24 months 58%, 36 months - 50%, 48 months - 39%, 60 months - my estimate - 28%, so on a loaded car the standard mileage rate lease residual would be about $35,000. Let's say the CPO residuals are higher (45,000), with a cap cost of $89,000 and an interest rate of 8.75% and $0.00 down, the lease payment would be $1,711.00 (excluding taxes). With $14,000 down, the payment would be $1,322 (plus taxes).

On the new car I am looking at, the deal looks like this: $127,000 msrp, Cap Cost $117,000 residual $63,500, $14,000 down, interest rate 3.9% payment:$1,391 (+ taxes).

Of course the low rate is only until the end of the month and was just introduced Dec 1st., but based on the above, given the current incentive, I'm not much worse of leasing new. Does this make sense to you? As for the fuel mileage, the thought of it keeps me up at night, but as long as I can make it most of the way through the week without filling up, I won't feel to bad about it (gulp). My wife doesn't care about the car, but she dislikes the thought of the poor mileage on the environment - It's all she could come up with, she's tired of my car shopping!

I'm off to the dealer to "listen" to the rattly engine. If it doesn't turn me off and I can't find another reason to talk myself out of this car, I think I'll just get it!

grover

PS Did you have to pay a gas guzzler tax? How much?
Old 12-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by grover432' post='504302' date='Dec 8 2007, 03:33 AM
Hi Westcoast,

I totally get what you are saying about leasing and agree with all of your reasons, especially with repect to an M car. $89,000 is a huge savings over new at $127,000, although my cap cost would be $117,000 at 3.9%. I'm not sure what your residual is after 3 years. Not to be nosy, but I'm just trying to work the numbers out for searching for a used M5 to lease.

When I look at the BMW Canada website, on new cars, the residuals look like this" 24 months 58%, 36 months - 50%, 48 months - 39%, 60 months - my estimate - 28%, so on a loaded car the standard mileage rate lease residual would be about $35,000. Let's say the CPO residuals are higher (45,000), with a cap cost of $89,000 and an interest rate of 8.75% and $0.00 down, the lease payment would be $1,711.00 (excluding taxes). With $14,000 down, the payment would be $1,322 (plus taxes).

On the new car I am looking at, the deal looks like this: $127,000 msrp, Cap Cost $117,000 residual $63,500, $14,000 down, interest rate 3.9% payment:$1,391 (+ taxes).

Of course the low rate is only until the end of the month and was just introduced Dec 1st., but based on the above, given the current incentive, I'm not much worse of leasing new. Does this make sense to you? As for the fuel mileage, the thought of it keeps me up at night, but as long as I can make it most of the way through the week without filling up, I won't feel to bad about it (gulp). My wife doesn't care about the car, but she dislikes the thought of the poor mileage on the environment - It's all she could come up with, she's tired of my car shopping!

I'm off to the dealer to "listen" to the rattly engine. If it doesn't turn me off and I can't find another reason to talk myself out of this car, I think I'll just get it!

grover

PS Did you have to pay a gas guzzler tax? How much?
Residual in 36 months is $54,864 (car will be 5 years old at that point). The final rate was 7.5% - I forgot there was a "loyalty discount" because I have another current BMW lease as well. The cap amount was actually $90,500 (I think it was 89,900 plus some silly fee). Total lease cost for 36 months is $46,659 (with taxes it's $54,125) If you divide 46,659 by 36 you are looking at $1,296 per month pre-tax (not including any interest your money you could earn by not prepaying and putting it into a GIC instead).

This is all based on 0 down (actually 100% down, but you know what I mean), so when I go to BMW Canada website and spec a loaded 08 M5 ($127k) with zero down it shows a payment of $2,011 + tax with 3.9% lease and a 66,222 residual (and that's with the low km lease).

So the actual residual I have is 43.2% on a 5 year old car - that's quite a bit higher than your estimate of 28% and changes the math a fair bit.
So it looks to me like a payment of $2,011 per month pretax with zero down will see $72,396 leave your pocket over 3 years versus $46,659 pretax for my three years. To me that's a big difference and my reason for going pre-owned with the M5. I generally buy new but just couldn't justify in this case.

Because it was used their was no guzzler tax but I believe on a new one it is $3k.

The sound you need to hear is the exhaust under load as you drive down the street. Once you hear that you will buy the car!

Hope this helps!
Old 12-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

I'd go with 550i - Sport Automatic Transmission
Old 12-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Members

Hi Westcoast,

I got your PM. I can see from the math above that your deal is great. Based on my deal, our lease payments will be the same, but my car will cost an additional $14,000 (the down payment) over 3 years. If I didn't put any money down, the payment would be about $1,685. As I wrote, I considered the smg, but it seems like there are 2 camps - people who love the smg and those who hate it.I guess it is a personal choice. Not having the opportunity to spend a day with one (the dealer doesn't have one), I don't think I would order the car with one. The car in the dealer's showroom is a 6 speed, so if I want agreat deal and don't want to order a car, it will be a 6 speed. I'm not a race car driver so the speed of the shifts and the .2 difference 0 - 60 doesn't make that big a deal to me.

This car looks fantastic in White. I spent an hour at the dealership just getting comfortable in the seats and the interior. I think I'm OK with the Madeira wood trim although I don't think I would have ordered it that way. The dealer charged the battery las night so I was able to start the car. I noticed a fair bit of rumble inside the car at idle (warm up idle), but it dropped down when the idle speed dropped below 1,000 or when I revved the engine. The exhaust sound outside the car seemed quite loud, nut the was a fair bit of resonance in the showroom. I'm 5'8" and like to sit fairly low in the car - in the 550 the HU display was partially cut off due to seating position. In the M5, the display was just in the right place (both cars have a range of adjustment, though).

The dealer will be mounting a winter set (19's) on Monday and moving the car outside for me so I can drive it for an hour. I'm watching for: 1. ride quality, 2. interior sound level - exhaust, and 3. steering feel (tram line). Assuming I don't find any characteristics I can't live with, I'll lease the car this week. I'd like to wait until I return from vacation on January 3rd, but the dealer is anxious to make a deal before the end of the month. I'll be pissed if there is a further drop in the lease rate in January (not likely).

Thanks for your comments on ride quality and steering in your PM. It sounds like the car can be programmed to ride as comfortably as a 550, which is good news. As for tramlining, as long as there isn't some aggressive steering setup, the extra 10mm of tire width shouldn't make a great difference compared to the 550. In fact most of the reviews say the M5 improves the steering feel compared to the rest of the E60 lineup.

Again, thanks for your comments. It helps to hear from a family guy who uses the car similar to the way I will. I have an 8 month old and we hope to have another - so 997 while a great dream is impractical at this point. I'm sure the M5 is the best compromise between a pure sports car and a sports sedan.

grover

ps I'd be curious to know what your computer says your city mileage is in l/100 km. Reason: Past BMW's have displayed both metric and standard, but the standard readings were based on the US gal. Another peculiarity is the speedometer. It always reads higher than true speed (as provided by gps) - as much as 8%. I've complained about this since my second BMW (1985 325e). BMW says it is due to European regulations which state that the car must never under report the speed of the vehicle - so BMW puts ina buffer to be safe. If you reset the average speed on the computer trip, and don't change speed, you will see the correct speed - even though the needle is reading higher on the dial.

pps What is your annual km allowance?
Old 12-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='504476' date='Dec 8 2007, 04:09 PM
I'd go with 550i - Sport Automatic Transmission
Right, but have you spent any time in an M5? If so, what (other than the price) makes you prefer the 550?

From your signature it looks like you started with a 545 and are part way to turning it into an M5. I don't really have the time or patience to do that (although I'm sure it would be fun - I've restored cars and customized in the past).

grover

PS The lead service technician at the dealership agrees with you. He doesn't like to shift and doesn't like the sound of the engine at idle. For everything else he thought it was an awesome car (except he isn't sold on the smg). I guess everyone has an opinion, which makes these boards great.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:16 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by grover432' post='504551' date='Dec 8 2007, 06:11 PM
Hi Westcoast,

I got your PM. I can see from the math above that your deal is great. Based on my deal, our lease payments will be the same, but my car will cost an additional $14,000 (the down payment) over 3 years. If I didn't put any money down, the payment would be about $1,685. As I wrote, I considered the smg, but it seems like there are 2 camps - people who love the smg and those who hate it.I guess it is a personal choice. Not having the opportunity to spend a day with one (the dealer doesn't have one), I don't think I would order the car with one. The car in the dealer's showroom is a 6 speed, so if I want agreat deal and don't want to order a car, it will be a 6 speed. I'm not a race car driver so the speed of the shifts and the .2 difference 0 - 60 doesn't make that big a deal to me.

This car looks fantastic in White. I spent an hour at the dealership just getting comfortable in the seats and the interior. I think I'm OK with the Madeira wood trim although I don't think I would have ordered it that way. The dealer charged the battery las night so I was able to start the car. I noticed a fair bit of rumble inside the car at idle (warm up idle), but it dropped down when the idle speed dropped below 1,000 or when I revved the engine. The exhaust sound outside the car seemed quite loud, nut the was a fair bit of resonance in the showroom. I'm 5'8" and like to sit fairly low in the car - in the 550 the HU display was partially cut off due to seating position. In the M5, the display was just in the right place (both cars have a range of adjustment, though).

The dealer will be mounting a winter set (19's) on Monday and moving the car outside for me so I can drive it for an hour. I'm watching for: 1. ride quality, 2. interior sound level - exhaust, and 3. steering feel (tram line). Assuming I don't find any characteristics I can't live with, I'll lease the car this week. I'd like to wait until I return from vacation on January 3rd, but the dealer is anxious to make a deal before the end of the month. I'll be pissed if there is a further drop in the lease rate in January (not likely).

Thanks for your comments on ride quality and steering in your PM. It sounds like the car can be programmed to ride as comfortably as a 550, which is good news. As for tramlining, as long as there isn't some aggressive steering setup, the extra 10mm of tire width shouldn't make a great difference compared to the 550. In fact most of the reviews say the M5 improves the steering feel compared to the rest of the E60 lineup.

Again, thanks for your comments. It helps to hear from a family guy who uses the car similar to the way I will. I have an 8 month old and we hope to have another - so 997 while a great dream is impractical at this point. I'm sure the M5 is the best compromise between a pure sports car and a sports sedan.

grover

ps I'd be curious to know what your computer says your city mileage is in l/100 km. Reason: Past BMW's have displayed both metric and standard, but the standard readings were based on the US gal. Another peculiarity is the speedometer. It always reads higher than true speed (as provided by gps) - as much as 8%. I've complained about this since my second BMW (1985 325e). BMW says it is due to European regulations which state that the car must never under report the speed of the vehicle - so BMW puts ina buffer to be safe. If you reset the average speed on the computer trip, and don't change speed, you will see the correct speed - even though the needle is reading higher on the dial.

pps What is your annual km allowance?
27.6 l/100k on the computer. I checked the mpg (10.2) and it was set for imperial gallons. I am allowed 18,000 km per year (which will require 4,968 litres of fuel ). I was aware of the speedometer issue - really annoying, you have a beautiful piece of machinery, incredible engineering and the guages are inaccurate on purpose.

You need to have the car outside to judge the sound of the exhaust. I find mine is really loud when it is cold (starting it on a frosty morning). I seems to be more than just the higher engine idle, maybe just the way it sounds going through the cold pipes and mufflers? In less than a minute it becomes substantially quieter.

I have the Madeira Wood as well and initally thought I might change it to aluminum (which is what I would spec if I was ordering) but it has grown on me.

I had to laugh at your 997 fantasy since I went through the exact same thing. Thought about getting a 997 but just couldn't see it working since I drive the kids around a lot. And mine are older so are in booster seats and they can clip their own seat belts, but for you it would really be difficult to fit a proper seat. I tried to convince my wife that I should get the 997 and keep my 550......but their was no way, so I find the M5 a great compromise (if you can call an M5 a compromise). You will not find anything sportier or nicer with 4 doors.

Sounds like you've got a great lease rate, the car is fully speced and in colour you like. I would be shocked if you can get a better lease rate than 3.9%. It sounds to me like you should ink the deal. Can't wait to see some pictures of the beast!

Cheers
Old 12-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Contributors

Oh, one more thing. I don't know what snow tires they are fitting to the car for the test drive but keep in mind that the suspension/ride will vary with the tires. My winters are 245/45/18s and feel much softer in terms of ride than my summers 255/30/19s, given the same suspension setting.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Westcoast M5' post='504599' date='Dec 9 2007, 01:16 AM
27.6 l/100k on the computer. I checked the mpg (10.2) and it was set for imperial gallons. I am allowed 18,000 km per year (which will require 4,968 litres of fuel ). I was aware of the speedometer issue - really annoying, you have a beautiful piece of machinery, incredible engineering and the guages are inaccurate on purpose.

You need to have the car outside to judge the sound of the exhaust. I find mine is really loud when it is cold (starting it on a frosty morning). I seems to be more than just the higher engine idle, maybe just the way it sounds going through the cold pipes and mufflers? In less than a minute it becomes substantially quieter.

I have the Madeira Wood as well and initally thought I might change it to aluminum (which is what I would spec if I was ordering) but it has grown on me.

I had to laugh at your 997 fantasy since I went through the exact same thing. Thought about getting a 997 but just couldn't see it working since I drive the kids around a lot. And mine are older so are in booster seats and they can clip their own seat belts, but for you it would really be difficult to fit a proper seat. I tried to convince my wife that I should get the 997 and keep my 550......but their was no way, so I find the M5 a great compromise (if you can call an M5 a compromise). You will not find anything sportier or nicer with 4 doors.

Sounds like you've got a great lease rate, the car is fully speced and in colour you like. I would be shocked if you can get a better lease rate than 3.9%. It sounds to me like you should ink the deal. Can't wait to see some pictures of the beast!

Cheers
I'm not going to let my wife read this post (27.6L/100) - I'll never hear the end of it. My best friend says that I should tell my wife to trade her Honda Accord for a Toyota Prius and then our "family average fuel economy" will be lower. Ha! To my wife a car is an appliance to get from A - B and she didn't even want to spend as much as she did on her current 2003 Honda. She'd have been happy with a Civic. She accepts my interest in cars though. It will be a job teaching her to drive standard though. She's a good driver but she's already wondering what the point of a manual is!

The leaase rate is great, but if the $CAD stays where it is, I can't help but wonder if the auto manufacturers won't be forced to drop car prices in Canada. The M5 is priced about $30,000 less in the US and after broker's profit, $6,000 to convert the car to Canadian standards, 6% duty and transportation cost, the difference would be about $15,000. For the person who leases (50% residual), the extra cost is really 1/2 the $15,000 figure. That's the way I look at it (and the way BMW wants us to look at it) but my friend who buys all his cars used and keeps them 5 - 8 years says the US purchase is the way to go. I have thought about waiting until the new year to see if there is further pressure on BMW to reduce prices, but I read that they just recorded a significant increase in sales numbers for November (the month loonie was at 1.10USD), so I'm not sure they have allot of incentive. My other thought is, even if they drop the price, I wonder whether they will keep the low rate. One further note is; as the model year progresses to the next quarter, the residual will drop, making payments higher.

It's my 50th birthday next week. I think I'll just get the car and find something else to think about!

grover

ps On the issue of ride and tires; I'm not sure what the winter tire package has - I believe they are Michelins - 18" 245's. I'll have to accept the car without a road test on the summer rubber as the dealer won't let the car on the road with the summer tires. He says an accident is inevitable with our current snow covered roads and the summer tires.

pps I'll try and get to my target lease amount with 24,000KM's. or 20.000KM at the least, otherwise I'll be paying at the end when I turn it in.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:11 AM
Senior Members

I wanted an M5 with SMG, especially since I had it in my M3. There's just a 1 day learning curve with it and mine worked flawlessly. It's not a smooth shifting automatic; it's a manual, shifted automatically and yes clutch release is smooth.
M brakes- The 550 is a great car, but not an M5.
1st choice- M5 SMG
2nd- 550i sport
3rd- 535xi

Quick Reply: M5 Decisions