E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

m5 cuts off

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009 | 01:50 AM
Members

Hi,

I was driving through the junction on Auto (not paddle shift) and turning right, about 15 mph when car just died. All lights went up, steering was heavy and messages were showing, steering wheel, transmission, ABS, Airbags pretty much everything went up and dashboard was llit up like christmas tree. I ve managed to stop, car then restarted itself while i was still moving. All lights switched itself off, engine went back to normal, no error codes ...etc. I drove car back to my place and everything seemed to be fine. Next day on the very same junction, same speed, exactly the same scenario happened. Why on this junction is beyond me, but ths is the only right hand on the way home though so could it be something with loose wire/sensor?? This time i stopped the car, and had to start the engine myself. All were fine and i drove home with no issues. Both times i was on the way home, so car has been driven for and hour or so, car always starts on the button, it's a standard m5 no mods of any kind. Checked idrive messages no codes. Anyone help??? Will take car to dealer but in the meantime would like to know if anybody has any ideas???
Old 01-24-2009 | 03:55 AM
Contributors

From: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by thomasxxxx' post='776102' date='Jan 24 2009, 05:50 AM
Hi,

I was driving through the junction on Auto (not paddle shift) and turning right, about 15 mph when car just died. All lights went up, steering was heavy and messages were showing, steering wheel, transmission, ABS, Airbags pretty much everything went up and dashboard was llit up like christmas tree. I ve managed to stop, car then restarted itself while i was still moving. All lights switched itself off, engine went back to normal, no error codes ...etc. I drove car back to my place and everything seemed to be fine. Next day on the very same junction, same speed, exactly the same scenario happened. Why on this junction is beyond me, but ths is the only right hand on the way home though so could it be something with loose wire/sensor?? This time i stopped the car, and had to start the engine myself. All were fine and i drove home with no issues. Both times i was on the way home, so car has been driven for and hour or so, car always starts on the button, it's a standard m5 no mods of any kind. Checked idrive messages no codes. Anyone help??? Will take car to dealer but in the meantime would like to know if anybody has any ideas???
If it happens at that same exact place then It might be a Radar (not a police radar but weather radar or something). The micro waves set off all sorts of error messages in you car. It has happened to me two. I was next to a big radar at a marina and the car went nuts.
Old 01-24-2009 | 04:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

Could it be another example of an E60 with a battery problem maybe ?? Just another idea ?
Old 01-24-2009 | 11:31 AM
Members

Thanks guys, i went today at least 10 times through the same junction taking right turn, and nothing. Been stuck in London traffic for an hour, not a single glich

or anything at all. I am giving up and calling a exorcist, must be some kind of a evil spirit in my ECU , what else to say. Otherwise i ll grab a hammer and

then......
Old 01-25-2009 | 12:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i manual
Model Year: 2008
Engine: V8

Originally Posted by thomasxxxx' post='776365' date='Jan 24 2009, 03:31 PM
Thanks guys, i went today at least 10 times through the same junction taking right turn, and nothing. Been stuck in London traffic for an hour, not a single glich

or anything at all. I am giving up and calling a exorcist, must be some kind of a evil spirit in my ECU , what else to say. Otherwise i ll grab a hammer and

then......
lol exorcist the hammer might be alittle extreme the spirit might just run into another persons car then its there problem
Old 01-26-2009 | 05:22 PM
Senior Members

Whatever that is it scares the shit out of me... the steering wont lock up in that case would it?
Old 02-15-2009 | 12:23 PM
Members

Right , car taken to BMW as it started cutting off again, and rear wheel started making noise when turning right. I thought that this is it, major disaster, my car is turning into an absolute lemon

All it was, it turns out to be a lose terminal on the battery and fluid change in slip differential. Now, i am having fun again