E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

M5

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 12:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just spec'ing an M5 on the BMW website and it came out to about $89K USD. Besides the metallic paint, I also added some goodies like Comfort Access, M Seats, HUD, and the MSRP came out to just a hair under $90K USD.

Now a similarly configured 650Ci would be about $10K less.

Given the standard features that are available on the M5 vis-a-vis the 650i, I think the 10k difference is almost comical.

Consider:

*You get the V10 with the M5 (and only a V8 on the 650)
*You get EDC and HPS (both of which are not offered on the 650)
*LSD (or M Variable Differential)
*SMG III with the M5 (versus the "regular" SMG for the 650)
*Bigger brakes and beefier suspension setup

Heck, I think just the V10 alone would justify the 10k difference.

Thoughts?
Old 10-17-2005, 12:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Oct 17 2005, 01:06 PM
I was just spec'ing an M5 on the BMW website and it came out to about $89K USD.? Besides the metallic paint, I also added some goodies like Comfort Access, M Seats, HUD, and the MSRP came out to just a hair under $90K USD.

Given the standard features that are available on the M5 vis-a-vis the 650i, I think the 10k difference is almost comical.?

Consider:

Thoughts?
[snapback]185334[/snapback]

Just out of curiosity, why are you comparing the M5 with the 650 and not the 550?
Old 10-17-2005, 01:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530 black/black '05 Porsche Cayene S Black/gold 05' BMW M5 05' Bentley CGT

I think that the m5 bought at mrsp is a steal!!Unfortunatelly i bought it above mrsp but i think its still worth every single penny
Old 10-17-2005, 02:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Hell, I agree.
I think this car is actually a bargain if you can get it at MSRP.

When you compare the e60 to the e63 (non M), I really don't see why the 6 series costs more than a 5 when both vehicles are similarly equipped. Is it because you are paying for the coupe image? Is it because the coupe handles/performs better than a sedan, thus, warranting a higher price?

I think the M5 is a steal at that price, but don't tell the folks in Bavaria that.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Centurion' date='Oct 17 2005, 04:20 PM
Hell, I agree.

When you compare the e60 to the e63 (non M), I really don't see why the 6 series costs more than a 5 when both vehicles are similarly equipped.? Is it because you are paying for the coupe image?? Is it because the coupe handles/performs better than a sedan, thus, warranting a higher price?

I think the M5 is a steal at that price, but don't tell the folks in Bavaria that.
[snapback]185396[/snapback]
For the 6 series, you are paying about $10,000 more than the 5 series just for style. That's it, just style. If you really look at what you're paying extra for on the 6 series, it's styling. I thought about going for the M6 vs the M5, but decided against it, just because I couldn't justify losing three seats for a minor performance gain.

Yes, the center of gravity is about one inch lower, and the car weighs 180 lbs less, but that sums up the performance differences. BMW quotes about a 10 second difference in 'ring time for the M6 over the M5, but 7 seconds is due to the 'track' tires the M6 is wearing. Bottom line is there is a slight performance difference, but it equates to the difference between driving alone, and driving with one person in the car.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

M5 all the way!
Old 10-17-2005, 07:25 PM
Senior Members

You might want to consider the $3700 Gas Guzzler tax too...
Old 10-17-2005, 08:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Oct 17 2005, 05:29 PM
[quote name='Centurion' date='Oct 17 2005, 04:20 PM']Hell, I agree.

When you compare the e60 to the e63 (non M), I really don't see why the 6 series costs more than a 5 when both vehicles are similarly equipped.? Is it because you are paying for the coupe image?? Is it because the coupe handles/performs better than a sedan, thus, warranting a higher price?

[snapback]185396[/snapback]
For the 6 series, you are paying about $10,000 more than the 5 series just for style. That's it, just style. If you really look at what you're paying extra for on the 6 series, it's styling. I thought about going for the M6 vs the M5, but decided against it, just because I couldn't justify losing three seats for a minor performance gain.

Yes, the center of gravity is about one inch lower, and the car weighs 180 lbs less, but that sums up the performance differences. BMW quotes about a 10 second difference in 'ring time for the M6 over the M5, but 7 seconds is due to the 'track' tires the M6 is wearing. Bottom line is there is a slight performance difference, but it equates to the difference between driving alone, and driving with one person in the car.
[snapback]185444[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah, I've never really understood the price difference between the E60 and E63.

If the 10k difference is only about styling (i.e. premium for a coupe) then the E63 is a really poor example. I've always felt that the E63 looked like a mutant Toyota Solara .... Not a good thing. :thumbsdown:

Toyotal Solara

Mutated ...

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>
*images courtesy of Edmunds.com</span>
Old 10-18-2005, 01:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Oct 17 2005, 03:06 PM
I was just spec'ing an M5 on the BMW website and it came out to about $89K USD.? Besides the metallic paint, I also added some goodies like Comfort Access, M Seats, HUD, and the MSRP came out to just a hair under $90K USD.

Given the standard features that are available on the M5 vis-a-vis the 650i, I think the 10k difference is almost comical.?

Consider:

Thoughts?
I did what you did--went to BMW NA and priced the 3 cars below the way I would order them. I wouldn't consider the M6 for the reasons mentioned by others--except that I like the 6-Series styling, in general, a great deal--maybe slightly more than the 5-Series styling in general. I came up with:

550i--$69,730 (including the aero kit);
650i--$77,940; and
M5--$85,865 + Gas guzzler tax of $3,700 = $89,565 (Ignored the extended leather--not sure if I would really like it better).

When I think about cars, I don't get overly specific about "small" differences--things that would make little difference in my day-to-day driving experience. The sorts of things that ipse dixit mentions are the sorts of things I would be concerned about. In sum, I would think primarily about performance (including the things ipse dixit mentions), looks, and relative pricing.

In the performance category, I would sacrifice some excellent handling for additional straight-line performance--since I would have, and would care to have, few occassions to seriously explore the M5's handling abilities. In the looks category, I would sacrifice some looks for some convenience. And, then I'd somehow work in price.

I agree with wolverine's idea that one pays about $10,000 for styling/coupeness when buying a 650i. I would quickly eliminate the 650i (as I did the 645i) because I don't think it looks much, if any, better than the sexy 550i (or, in my case, 545i) and lacks the convenience of the latter. Without much thought, I would consider the the M5 to be a bargain compared to the 650i.

So, I am faced with a $16,135 price difference for the M5 and the 550i. The M5 wins on looks, but only slightly since I compensated with the aero kit. The M5 wins decidely on performance--straight-line and curves--no matter how good its performance turns out to be. In this regard, its straight-line performance is more important to me.

Now comes the main issue for me. Is the M5 a bargain compared to the 550i? Given my preferences, it is only a bargain if its straight-line performance is sufficiently faster than a modestly modded 550i. Let's say the 550'i stock performance is 5.2 (60) and 13.4 (quarter)--which is .2 faster to 60 than the 545i in 2 of 3 "big-3" US mag tests and which is 3 faster in the quarter than the 545i in all 3 mags. Now, let's say I spend the same amount of a 550i that I have spent to date on my 545i--about $3,000 that I don't expect to recoup. Then, the 550i might do 5.0 and 13.1, and the incremental cost of the M5 becomes about $13,135--with no incremental warranty issues. To me, that difference makes the M5 sound like a bargain compared to the 550i.

Bargain or not, I am not sure that I would buy the M5. For one thing, I don't find cars that perform straight-line as well as the M5 probably will to be that much fun. First, one gets used to their acceleration very quickly. And, second, where is the fun in having a car that obviously is much faster than any other car one probably would ever line up against in a fairly safe place? The most fun car I've ever had is my 1985 after-market turbo RX-7 GSL-SE. It beats so many cars it "shouldn't" it is a blast. Also, while I am not sure about the BMW driving schools, generally speaking, if one takes his/her car to the track, then its warranty is at risk. So, where does one get to fully experience an M5?--or my Z06?

The bottom line is that I would perfer to have a car that is faster than it "should be"--like my 545i. At least there is a chance that I will line up in a reasonably safe place with a car I shouldn't beat to 60, but can--say maybe an unmodded 550i or 650i. In this regard, I very seldomly will do streeties much in excess of 60 MPH.

I think I believe all that I said above. ~{;^) But, still, maybe I'll buy an M5 or a new Z06 when their prices come down to earth and when they are not first-year cars. I don't like buying first-year cars. And, what is a global bargain? Only the new Z06. It costs $75,000 including the gas-guzzler tax (if there is one), and it will badly beat virtually any car on earth that costs less than a much bigger bundle--whether going straight or through curves.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:48 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by donv' date='Oct 18 2005, 03:35 PM
[quote name='ipse dixit' date='Oct 17 2005, 03:06 PM']I was just spec'ing an M5 on the BMW website and it came out to about $89K USD.? Besides the metallic paint, I also added some goodies like Comfort Access, M Seats, HUD, and the MSRP came out to just a hair under $90K USD.

Consider:

Thoughts?
I did what you did--went to BMW NA and priced the 3 cars below the way I would order them. I wouldn't consider the M6 for the reasons mentioned by others--except that I like the 6-Series styling, in general, a great deal--maybe slightly more than the 5-Series styling in general. I came up with:

550i--$69,730 (including the aero kit);
650i--$77,940; and
M5--$85,865 + Gas guzzler tax of $3,700 = $89,565 (Ignored the extended leather--not sure if I would really like it better).

When I think about cars, I don't get overly specific about "small" differences--things that would make little difference in my day-to-day driving experience. The sorts of things that ipse dixit mentions are the sorts of things I would be concerned about. In sum, I would think primarily about performance (including the things ipse dixit mentions), looks, and relative pricing.

In the performance category, I would sacrifice some excellent handling for additional straight-line performance--since I would have, and would care to have, few occassions to seriously explore the M5's handling abilities. In the looks category, I would sacrifice some looks for some convenience. And, then I'd somehow work in price.

I agree with the idea that one pays about $10,000 for styling/coupeness when buying a 650i. I would quickly eliminate the 650i (as I did the 645i) because I don't think it looks much, if any, better than the sexy 550i (or, in my case, 545i) and lacks the convenience of the latter. Without much thought, I would consider the the M5 to be a bargain compared to the 650i.

So, I am faced with a $16,135 price difference for the M5 and the 550i. The M5 wins on looks, but only slightly since I compensated with the aero kit. The M5 wins decidely on performance--straight-line and curves--no matter how good its performance turns out to be. In this regard, its straight-line performance is more important to me.

Now comes the main issue for me. Is the M5 a bargain compared to the 550i? Given my preferences, it is only a bargain if its straight-line performance is sufficiently faster than a modestly modded 550i. Let's say the 550'i stock performance is 5.2 (60) and 13.4 (quarter)--which is .2 faster to 60 than the 545i in 2 of 3 "big-3" US mag tests and which is 3 faster in the quarter than the 545i in all 3 mags. Now, let's say I spend the same amount of a 550i that I have spent to date on my 545i--about $3,000 that I don't expect to recoup. Then, the 550i might do 5.0 and 13.1, and the incremental cost of the M5 becomes about $15,135--with no incremental warranty issues. To me, that difference makes the M5 sound like a bargain compared to the 550i.

Bargain or not, I am not sure that I would buy the M5. For one thing, I don't find cars that perform straight-line as well as the M5 probably will to be that much fun. First, one gets used to their acceleration very quickly. And, second, where is the fun in having a car that obviously is much faster than any other car one probably would ever line up against in a fairly safe place? The most fun car I've ever had is my 1985 after-market turbo RX-7 GSL-SE. It beats so many cars it "shouldn't" it is a blast. Also, while I am not sure about the BMW driving schools, generally speaking, if one takes his/her car to the track, then its warranty is at risk. So, where does one get to fully experience an M5?--or my Z06?

The bottom line is that I would perfer to have a car that is faster than it "should be"--like my 545i. At least there is a chance that I will line up in a reasonably safe place with a car I shouldn't beat to 60, but can--say maybe an unmodded 550i or 650i. In this regard, I very seldomly will do streeties much in excess of 60 MPH.

I think I believe all that I said above. ~{;^) But, still, maybe I'll buy an M5 or a new Z06 when their prices come down to earth and when they are not first-year cars. I don't like buying first-year cars.
[snapback]185887[/snapback]
[/quote]

I do think part of the kick of having an M5 (for me anyways) instead of an M6 is the idea of a 4 door sedan just blowing the doors off cars like the Porsche 911S.Imagine a kid looking out the back window of an M5 and sticking his tounge out at the 911S driver as the M5 blows by him on the highway.