E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

M Mobility Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010 | 09:02 AM
aR.
Members

I Have an '08 M5 and am curious if anyone has experienced using the M Mobility Kit for inflating the tires after getting a flat.

I am going through the Manual just to get myself acclimated about the procedures - just in case if I ever need to use it as I use M as my daily driver and am getting concerned. The pages 216- 217 of the Owner's Manual shows a spare tire in the trunk with Jack stand and Lug Wrench etc inside what looks like some kind of a kit. Does the M5 comes with a jack stand or other parts to change a tire as I am not able to locate one in my car or do I need to buy one seperately.? Does anyone keeps a spare tire in the trunk or the M Mobility kit is very trust-worthy and reliable. Any pointers in using the Mobility kit would also be appreciated as I have gone over the instruction in the Manual and those are not too clear and full of warnings which is not too helpful. Does anyone keep an extra Sealant Bottle in the car?

Other than the concern of not having a working wheel (working and movable vehicle), I am so very pleased with the car . It is simply an incredible machine. Anyone's experience in this subject would be very helpful.

Thanks and any more guidance on this subject will be highly appreciated...
Old 01-03-2010 | 11:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

No idea how to use the Mobility kit... I plan on using Roadside assistance or AAA during regular daily drives... if and when I'm going to take a road trip thats away from any major cities without cell phone coverage I'll probably not take the ///M LOL.
Old 01-04-2010 | 01:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

I had one in my R32 VW... No spare, no run flats...Low profile wheels and tires...

Basically it was a compact Air compressor, and a bottle of Tire sealant.
Not very difficult to use...

Fill tire with sealant
Inflate tire.

There are speed limitation and Distance , just like with RFT's

I used the pump a lot , never used the goo, most of my tire issues were pinched/bubbled side walls in which there is nothing you can do other than to replace the tire.
Old 01-04-2010 | 08:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I used the mobility kit when I was my long drive from San Jose to Vegas for MFest last year (about 600 miles one way). I had just refinished my wheels and one of them had a slow leak which I knew was a seal leak from having the 3 piece wheels removed for the refinishing. I didn't use the sealant, just used the air compressor and pumped up the tire everytime I got the FTM warning. It's very simple to use but just a bit slow.

As for a spare tire, the M5 doesn't have a spot for it that's why there's the mobility kit. Unless you just want to put a spare in your trunk, above the cover.
Old 01-08-2010 | 09:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='1084304' date='Jan 5 2010, 12:40 AM
I used the mobility kit when I was my long drive from San Jose to Vegas for MFest last year (about 600 miles one way). I had just refinished my wheels and one of them had a slow leak which I knew was a seal leak from having the 3 piece wheels removed for the refinishing. I didn't use the sealant, just used the air compressor and pumped up the tire everytime I got the FTM warning. It's very simple to use but just a bit slow.

As for a spare tire, the M5 doesn't have a spot for it that's why there's the mobility kit. Unless you just want to put a spare in your trunk, above the cover.
That is good to see that it is pretty usable. If I was going on a long trip or one in isolated areas I may think about buying a full-size spare to stick in the trunk.
Old 02-16-2010 | 07:13 PM
aR.
Members

Where is the best place to purchase a BMW tire Jack and other related parts. I am seriously thinking about placing a spare full size wheel in the trunk of my M5 [ I have one sitting in my Basement already form the days when I placed M5 wheels on my 550 and got an extra spare . I know that it will eat up majority of space in the trunk but at least it will give me a peace of mind that I will not get stuck in an emergency and can change my own tire in case of a serious tire problem like a serious cut or a blow out. Has anyone actually have done it? ANy Thoughts, opinions, comments?
Old 02-16-2010 | 07:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

What about buying that TyreGuardian product and not worry about mobility kit, car jack, spare tire...etc..?

I'm considering trying that out.
Old 02-18-2010 | 07:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 530i 06 ///M5

interesting just watched the youtube vids on that stuff.

think it actually works? for 3 yrs?
Old 04-15-2010 | 08:34 AM
Senior Members

i would call the bone yards in your area and see if they have any e60's in the lot and see if they are willing to sell you the spare kit. Boneyards will sell any and everything on a car.
Old 04-15-2010 | 10:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 M5 (E60) Interlagos blue, Silverstone interior, with cold weather package. Adaptive Xenon headlamps and adaptive brake lights, hud, comfort access. Comfort seats, basically fully loaded.

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan
What about buying that TyreGuardian product and not worry about mobility kit, car jack, spare tire...etc..?

I'm considering trying that out.
I am myself wondering the same thing, whether anyone over here has tried it yet?..

Quick Reply: M Mobility Kit