E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

///M loses traction at 180km/h

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006 | 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='331094' date='Sep 5 2006, 07:45 PM
...If you have a son and he's about 20 yrs old or so, how can you really check how mental is he, cuz obviusly he will not drive flat out in your presence or any other member of the family.
I wouldn't "check".
Beeing the parent you know how often he is driving and how far. You also know if he is drinking when going out with friends.
Just from knowing how far and how often he drives and which roads he uses in which traffic conditions you can tell if he is a good driver or not.
Old 09-05-2006 | 10:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='331097' date='Sep 5 2006, 08:49 PM
I wouldn't "check".
Beeing the parent you know how often he is driving and how far. You also know if he is drinking when going out with friends.
Just from knowing how far and how often he drives and which roads he uses in which traffic conditions you can tell if he is a good driver or not.
Kinda hard to keep an eye on him if he says he goes out one night, usualy party, friends, or disco or whatever and he instead goes street racing.
Old 09-05-2006 | 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Old 09-05-2006 | 12:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='331129' date='Sep 5 2006, 09:49 PM
What does that mean?
Old 09-05-2006 | 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

It means I disagree.

If he goes streetracing when so young, I have made the mistake to give him a car which he can do so, and I wouldn't do that...
But unless he has enough experience he will not be able to street race.
Old 09-05-2006 | 02:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='331033' date='Sep 5 2006, 11:58 AM
So in generall terms m630 is right when saying you shouldn't give a 22year old guy an M6 to play around with. But he forgott to add: unless he is an experienced driver.

....so trully well put, iceman, though those of us above 22 knew what I meant

there are very very few exceptions to this rule, and none of them are probably drivin' so reckless on the streets, as they already know its a bad story just waiting to happen
Old 09-05-2006 | 11:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='331223' date='Sep 6 2006, 12:08 AM
It means I disagree.

If he goes streetracing when so young, I have made the mistake to give him a car which he can do so, and I wouldn't do that...
But unless he has enough experience he will not be able to street race.
I still sustian you can't control too much those things. If he drives reckless when you are not around, and he wants too streetrace or drive hard, he will do it even in a 100bhp car. So unless you give him a shopping cart to drive i don't see that as an answer.
The last statement, imo, conflicts with the ideea of young people driving so reckless and imature. If the deamons of speed are in his blood he will race or drive reckless, regardless of how much experience he thinks he has. If he obeys that rule, and thinks to do it progressive, he will probably not drive that reckless anymore.
Just my 02.
Cheers!
Old 09-06-2006 | 03:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

i agreee with both..iceman and bettermakeway...
but bettermakeway says many points, that if a kid wants to speed he will speed, he will push any car to its limits even if it cant handle it,,thats probably more dangerous than pushing a car that can handle the speed (m6)..
it really depends in the mentalitly of the person. iceman, ur way of knowing what the kid does wont work cause in the end i really dont think you will be able to follow him...and dont think that not giving him a car will be the answer cause its not...
the safest way is to gradually learn thing..starting slow..just a tiny bit faster every day...
the main reason young people do so many mistake is because they arent really experinced.. sometimes they get arrogant and think the car can do anything.. but they learn from there mistakes.. and understand the car with time... nobody was born with the talent of driving, its something you learn...
Old 09-06-2006 | 06:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by madoon' post='331448' date='Sep 6 2006, 02:44 PM
i agreee with both..iceman and bettermakeway...
but bettermakeway says many points, that if a kid wants to speed he will speed, he will push any car to its limits even if it cant handle it,,thats probably more dangerous than pushing a car that can handle the speed (m6)..
it really depends in the mentalitly of the person. iceman, ur way of knowing what the kid does wont work cause in the end i really dont think you will be able to follow him...and dont think that not giving him a car will be the answer cause its not...
the safest way is to gradually learn thing..starting slow..just a tiny bit faster every day...
the main reason young people do so many mistake is because they arent really experinced.. sometimes they get arrogant and think the car can do anything.. but they learn from there mistakes.. and understand the car with time... nobody was born with the talent of driving, its something you learn...
Agree!
Old 09-06-2006 | 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='331404' date='Sep 6 2006, 09:03 AM
I still sustian you can't control too much those things. If he drives reckless when you are not around, and he wants too streetrace or drive hard, he will do it even in a 100bhp car. So unless you give him a shopping cart to drive i don't see that as an answer.
The last statement, imo, conflicts with the ideea of young people driving so reckless and imature. If the deamons of speed are in his blood he will race or drive reckless, regardless of how much experience he thinks he has. If he obeys that rule, and thinks to do it progressive, he will probably not drive that reckless anymore.
Just my 02.
Cheers!
No, you don't get the point.

I wouldn't let my kid drive in a car with much HP unless I know he has done enough Km's and drove long enough to have the experience he needs to drive a more powered car.
If he then street races I know he has the experience to know when to stop, how far to push the car to it's limits and not losing control.
I am talking about DRIVING EXPERIENCE. Because if you have enough of driving experience you can see danger earlier, and you know the limits better than when you are 18 and just have gotten your driving license. When you are so unexperienced you don't see what an experienced driver is seeing. You don't react like an experienced driver.
And if he takes his 50 HP Opel Corsa to a street race, well, then so be it. I can't stop it, but if I find out about he will never ever be allowed to get into my car. And before letting him drive around in any car with more than 150 HP I'd let him do a driver training...

Quick Reply: ///M loses traction at 180km/h