E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

I love my car but...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 01:37 AM
JMC
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 M5, Silverstone II/Black

I just got back from a week and a half in Germany where I was able to let the land shark off the leash. I went from UK to Calais (Eurotunnel), then south to Ravensburg down by Lake Constance, down into Switzerland, back up to Thueringen, Erfurt, Chemnitz, Dresden, back accross to the Mosel Valley then back home, around 2000 miles all up. My car has no limiter but is otherwise stock, and topped out at 196 (GPS) for those who are interested, 200mph was not available, although the speedo said it was...

For the second leg of the trip I met up in Switzerland with a friend who I sold my old 535d (chipped) to and we headed up to Eisenach and Erfurt together. Altogether a great trip.

Now for the bad news. On a long trip, in no meaningful way is the M5 faster than the 535d. Sure, I could out accelerate my friend, especially above 110mph, but he would always catch up (eventually!), and his extra range, and the extra fill-ups I had to do, meant that I was usually trying to catch him up. Bottom line, the fuel tank size in the M5 is a real pain. Several times I was running on the fuel reserve without knowing where the next fuel stop was, meaning I had to ease off to save gas. At high speeds I was regularly only managing 170 miles between fills (at 1.45+ Euros a litre too - the days of cheap continental petrol seem to be long gone) whereas the big diesel was managing around 380 miles.

I love my car, but hell I wish it had a bigger tank
Old 04-13-2010, 03:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JMC
I just got back from a week and a half in Germany where I was able to let the land shark off the leash. I went from UK to Calais (Eurotunnel), then south to Ravensburg down by Lake Constance, down into Switzerland, back up to Thueringen, Erfurt, Chemnitz, Dresden, back accross to the Mosel Valley then back home, around 2000 miles all up. My car has no limiter but is otherwise stock, and topped out at 196 (GPS) for those who are interested, 200mph was not available, although the speedo said it was...

For the second leg of the trip I met up in Switzerland with a friend who I sold my old 535d (chipped) to and we headed up to Eisenach and Erfurt together. Altogether a great trip.

Now for the bad news. On a long trip, in no meaningful way is the M5 faster than the 535d. Sure, I could out accelerate my friend, especially above 110mph, but he would always catch up (eventually!), and his extra range, and the extra fill-ups I had to do, meant that I was usually trying to catch him up. Bottom line, the fuel tank size in the M5 is a real pain. Several times I was running on the fuel reserve without knowing where the next fuel stop was, meaning I had to ease off to save gas. At high speeds I was regularly only managing 170 miles between fills (at 1.45+ Euros a litre too - the days of cheap continental petrol seem to be long gone) whereas the big diesel was managing around 380 miles.

I love my car, but hell I wish it had a bigger tank
I really dont see how with respect to performance you can compare the two... sure the 535d has fuel longevity under its belt.. but with all due respect the M5 V10 is not meant to be a fuel saving, long trip economy car, its a BEAST!

Not an equal comparison.. i'd like to see the results of both cars driven normally.. with the M5 in DS2......and then compare!

Sounds like a great trip!
Old 04-13-2010, 04:02 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

I just went from a remapped 530d to a 550i, so I can very much sympathise. I lived in Germany for 10 years and used to do 60000km per year, so was used to ploughing up and down the Autobahns in my diesels. At the end of May I will be doing a big trip around Germany and am no doubt going to have the same experience as you on the fuel front

However, I agree with Aartsy19, the driving experience in the 550i is far more rewarding. Even the limited driving I have done with the 550i so far on the Autobahn, I can confirm its much more rewarding to take that V8 up to the rev limiter at 100mph+ than to accelerate in a diesel using that torque / lower revs.
It also sounds as though you were having a great time on your trip!

Well I'd better get back to work and do some over time, to afford all the fuel I will be getting through in a months time...
Old 04-13-2010, 05:02 AM
Contributors

This service should be made available to M5 Owners who take long trips at high speeds
Attached Thumbnails I love my car but...-335778main_ec95-43203-1_3x4_1024-768.jpg  
Old 04-13-2010, 05:10 AM
JMC
Contributors

Originally Posted by Aartsy19
I really dont see how with respect to performance you can compare the two... sure the 535d has fuel longevity under its belt.. but with all due respect the M5 V10 is not meant to be a fuel saving, long trip economy car, its a BEAST!

Not an equal comparison.. i'd like to see the results of both cars driven normally.. with the M5 in DS2......and then compare!

Sounds like a great trip!
No question, the M5 is quicker and handles better. My point is not that it should be more economical like the diesel, just that the very short range due to the smallish tank detracts from what should be the car's ultimate strong point - as the hammer you use to deal to practically everything else on the road. Frustrating that you overtake a car and leave it well in the distance only to have to do it all over again to the same car later because you had to wait behind a queue of cars at one of the many gas stations you have to stop at. I'm just a tiny bit disappointed that despite me driving the far more powerful car in its natural element - the Autobahn - it is in fact the big diesels that rule on those roads. Even my wife noticed that I passed the same 3litre A8 twice.

Next time I'll have to find more twisties I guess.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:13 AM
JMC
Contributors

Originally Posted by luigi524td
This service should be made available to M5 Owners who take long trips at high speeds
Allllllrighty!! Now that's what I call Connected Drive!
Old 04-13-2010, 05:51 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by luigi524td

Old 04-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 525i sport, premium, winter, xenon. xm satellite radio, navwithtv dvd system, 1 jl 10w7 sub powered by xtant 1001x amp. 20x8.5/10 on nitto nt555 rubber. acs roof and decklid spoiler, breyton front spoiler.

This is like complaining about getting blown by Megan Fox, no one feels your pain You get to drive an M5, gas is the concern of mere mortals
Old 04-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Oh Boo Hoo you POOR M5 driver!! Seriously, you thought you'd get sympathy because your BEAST is more thirsty than your buddy's E60???

And BTW, +1 to John's comment above too!
Old 04-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Members

let me get this straight. you spent a few weeks in germany and switzerland, got to drive 200mph with you M5 and feel dissapointed that it didnt get decent gas mileage? next time take a prius. lol

Quick Reply: I love my car but...