E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Help needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 01:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Late 2005 M5 in Silverstone Metallic II with Full Black Leather Interior. SMG, LOGIC7, Heated Front Seats, Rear Electric Sun Blind, Comms Package, Professional Nav, TV Function, Extended Voice Control, Adaptive Headlights

Hi all!!

I've recently noticed a problem with my M5

When the car is idling after it's warmed up and been driven a bit, the rev's fluctuate from as low as 300rpm up to 1100rpm. Then, sometimes when the rev's go low, the car stalls completely.

Anyone else had this problem with their M5 or is it just me? It's going into the dealer on 30th April to be looked at, but was just wondering if anyone can shed some light on the situation? Luckily, it's covered uncer warranty!! I hope anyway!!

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:06 AM
Members

Hey Jon. Had this problem myself a couple of months back. It's always hunted a bit but then it started stalling.

After it went in for plug service it stopped, still hunts but only between 500-1000 and hasn't stalled since. Is your due a plug service? Mine started doing this around 1500miles prior to the plug service. Might be coincidence but solved my problem.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Members

Actually on 2nd thoughts it's probably down to having dodgy tyres, you can swap with mine of you like?
Old 04-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Late 2005 M5 in Silverstone Metallic II with Full Black Leather Interior. SMG, LOGIC7, Heated Front Seats, Rear Electric Sun Blind, Comms Package, Professional Nav, TV Function, Extended Voice Control, Adaptive Headlights

LOL!!! I think not bro!! As for the plugs, yes mine is due for a change. It's going in on the 30th April to have vehicle check and spark plugs done, so that may solve it then! Fingers crossed!
Old 04-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 M5

Originally Posted by Jon M5' post='853684' date='Apr 21 2009, 06:04 AM
Hi all!!

I've recently noticed a problem with my M5

When the car is idling after it's warmed up and been driven a bit, the rev's fluctuate from as low as 300rpm up to 1100rpm. Then, sometimes when the rev's go low, the car stalls completely.

Anyone else had this problem with their M5 or is it just me? It's going into the dealer on 30th April to be looked at, but was just wondering if anyone can shed some light on the situation? Luckily, it's covered uncer warranty!! I hope anyway!!

Thanks in advance guys.

Looks like some bypass the intake sensors. The problem described happened when the engine get air that wasn?t measured by the sensors. Maybe some duct is not perfect assembled.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:50 AM
Senior Members

Thanks Alex, i'll look into that. I may dismantle the induction intakes and replace the filters and clean the MAF out. See if that helps.