E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Headlight Staining

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 12:19 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first post. I've only been an M5 owner for 3 weeks. I had an E46 M3 before that. As with all my previous cars, you quickly find one forum where the content and tone feels right. This feels like the one for E60 owners!

My first question - Has anyone had headlamps stained this badly through water ingress (the staining is on the inside)? If so, did you get it fixed under warranty? I'm a big DIY guy but as far as I understand there is no way of gaining access to the rear of the polycarbonate cover to do any cleaning.

Headlight Staining-img_1569_1.jpg

Headlight Staining-img_1571_1.jpg

Mark
Old 12-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mdouglas' post='511707' date='Dec 29 2007, 04:19 PM
My first post. I've only been an M5 owner for 3 weeks. I had an E46 M3 before that. As with all my previous cars, you quickly find one forum where the content and tone feels right. This feels like the one for E60 owners!

My first question - Has anyone had headlamps stained this badly through water ingress (the staining is on the inside)? If so, did you get it fixed under warranty? I'm a big DIY guy but as far as I understand there is no way of gaining access to the rear of the polycarbonate cover to do any cleaning.

Attachment 42327

Attachment 42328

Mark
On other cars I have had headlight assemblies (well, one) replaced under warranty. However, aside from looking ugly, it is an indication that moisture is getting into an area where it is not intended - with the possibility of causing damage to electronics. That would be uglier than stains on the plastic

Get thee to a BMW Service Center !
Old 12-29-2007, 05:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

If its on the inside BMW needs to replace the headlamps... they shouldnt have THAT much condensation in them or water seepage...
Old 12-29-2007, 10:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006, US Spec, 530i, Silver Gray, Black leather, Anthricite headliner, Steptronic, Navi Pro, PDC, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Rear Shades, Folding Rear Seats, Bluetooth w/Blackberrt Torch, AUX Input, Bi-Xenon, AIB Angel Eyes w/matching fogs, summer wheels R118 w/PS2 tires, winter wheels R138 w/Michelin PA3 snows

i agree, mine look perfectly clear compared to those. see what your dealer can do for you.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:10 AM
Members

Get it to the dealer pronto DIY'er!
Old 12-30-2007, 08:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='511777' date='Dec 30 2007, 03:08 AM
If its on the inside BMW needs to replace the headlamps... they shouldnt have THAT much condensation in them or water seepage...
yep, +1
Old 01-04-2008, 07:40 AM
Members

Opening Gambit from Cooper Thames Ditton:

"They all do that and I don't think we'll be replacing them under warranty! We've had lots in like this and I don't think we've ever replaced one headlmap unit. Book it in and our senior technician will look at them and decide."

Less than impressed with this as a starting position. However, I'll do as they ask and see what they decide.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, Carbon Black, Black Dakota, Black Diamond Trim, 6sp Sport Automatic with Paddles, M-Sport Package, Premium Package

Originally Posted by mdouglas' post='513628' date='Jan 4 2008, 08:40 AM

"They all do that and I don't think we'll be replacing them under warranty! We've had lots in like this and I don't think we've ever replaced one headlmap unit. Book it in and our senior technician will look at them and decide."

Less than impressed with this as a starting position. However, I'll do as they ask and see what they decide.
I recently had an issue like this do to a problem with a very large puddle. The entire housing was coated with condensation. To the point that you could not see the lamps from the front. My dealer told me that they are designed to clear themselves and recommended that I drive with the lights on as much as possible to help the process. 6 weeks later they are almost all clear. Fortunately for me there is no residual staining. The high moisture level has had an impact. My adaptive headlamps don't work. I will be taking this back as a warranty issue. We will see what comes of that.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by mdouglas' post='513628' date='Jan 4 2008, 11:40 AM

Thats a completely irresponsible reply from your dealer ! To have that kind of build up of moisture and the resulting staining is just plain faulty, don't back down . For the type of money you spent on that car it should be perfect.............

Cheers
Old 01-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport

I did not have a moisture problem in my head lights, but my side marker lenses started to get the dingy look. The same look older MB S class headlights turn after 3 years. They were slightly opaque white. My dealership replaced them no questions asked.

Quick Reply: Headlight Staining