E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Got bit by the VANOS

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wife noticed a funny noise last week while she was driving and I just figured it was nothing big and let it go. Yesterday after coming home I heard the VANOS rattle on one side of the engine when I pulled into the garage. I have heard the rattle on videos and I am convinced this is the issue. It will come and go. At idle it is mostly silent once warm, but just off idle, it is rattling/growling pretty badly.

The car is a 06 with 54600 on the clock. The warranty expires in 400 miles. I purchased it used 5 months ago.

So far I have been disappointed in the service from the dealer I purchased from. They refused a loaner since the car is not a CPO, but is under the factory warranty. This is the second car I have purchased from them.

Another local dealer seems to think they cant take the car right now because of their backlog. I dont want to get into a brand war here, but I have always been given a loaner MBZ when I needed any service or repair work done on ANY of our MBZ cars. I even got a loaner for a 21 year old 300D that needed work. BMW seems tight on loaner cars for service or repair. Is this typical? I just assumed BMW had the same loaner policy as MBZ.

Anyone ever tackled the VANOS themselves? I have the ability, shop and most of the tools to perform the work, but no manual or general direction to start.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:31 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

first, with BMW it seems to vary from dealer to dealer as to what their loaner policy is. Here in SoCal some give you a BMW loaner, some give you an Enterprise rental car, and some give nothing.

As for the VANOS, you still have a warranty - use it. Call BMWNA and make them aware and remind your dealer that you brought up the issue BEFORE your warranty expired. This will save you plenty of headache and expense that you should not have to pay.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:02 PM
Members

Does anyone know of a service manual or CD for the e60/ M5?
Old 12-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 BMW ///M5 V10

how do you have a factory warranty? The factory warranty expires at 4 years or 50k miles...
Old 12-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

There is a known problem with the O-ring material used by BMW. I will find some detailed info for you. Actually i'll contact the copyright owner and ask permission to post.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:57 AM
Senior Members

Get everything in writing including your concerns and complaints and have a copy of all the maintenance and service/ repairs done with the car...this will come handy in the future
Old 12-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Senior Members

A little different, but i replaced 4 vanos units on my 545..it was NOT a pleasant bill...
You want to get that done before warranty ASAP!
Old 12-28-2010, 02:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by BMWPower06
how do you have a factory warranty? The factory warranty expires at 4 years or 50k miles...
Factory Demo? I know non-M5 E60 factory demos had a 6month/5k warranty extension I believe. Not sure though...
Old 12-31-2010, 04:20 AM
Members

Hi,

If i can give you some advice.

PLEASE go as fast to the garage, my VANOS was also making some noise like that.
I have putted the car into the BMW garage and they replaced the VANOS, the noise still there.
The noise went from bad to worse and before i knew, the engine was f*ck*d.
Some metal went into the oil pump and then went into the motor.
2 Pistons wrecked and the accle in the motor also, 10000 euro of costs without warranty;
Now 4 months later i'm still waiting on my car to get finished.

So i know now that the best thing to do is, when you hear something strange, go directly to the dealer.

And for all of you have a nice and healty 2011
Old 12-31-2010, 01:33 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by pjinca
first, with BMW it seems to vary from dealer to dealer as to what their loaner policy is. Here in SoCal some give you a BMW loaner, some give you an Enterprise rental car, and some give nothing.

As for the VANOS, you still have a warranty - use it. Call BMWNA and make them aware and remind your dealer that you brought up the issue BEFORE your warranty expired. This will save you plenty of headache and expense that you should not have to pay.
I agree with John. The loaner car policy is dealer specific, not BMW. My local dealer always provides a loaner as long as you schedule your visit for a day when they have them available. For emergencies, usually the SA has the authority to give you one without pre-scheduling and if they're out, they'll pay for a rental car. Guess I'm lucky to have that dealer close by.

And yes, if this issue ends up getting delayed past your warranty expiration, make sure they know you've brought up this issue before. My dealer replaced my clutch as a goodwill against my OEM warranty after it had expired cause I had brought it in several times before when the red cog came on and they couldn't find anything wrong. I had purchased a third party warranty from Easy Care but the goodwill repair under the OEM warranty saved me money on my deductable.

Good luck and happy new year!