E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Glitch on M5 SMG box

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 07:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if anyone had this glitch on their M5 smg box before. I had a message the other day on the idrive, it said "Transmission failed, drive modestly, car will not start once it stop, please contact local bmw dealer". Then the auto mode disappeared, only manual mode could be used, but no 3rd gear. The next day, I tried to start the car, it went back to normal. Shall I give the dealer a call? or Wait till it happed again?
Old 01-14-2009, 06:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Late 2005 M5 in Silverstone Metallic II with Full Black Leather Interior. SMG, LOGIC7, Heated Front Seats, Rear Electric Sun Blind, Comms Package, Professional Nav, TV Function, Extended Voice Control, Adaptive Headlights

I'd give them a call... I'm not 100%, but fairly sure that the car will have the data logged on a computer somewhere, so that BMW can find out exactly what happened.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 M5/SMG (LCI) Interlagos Blue/Black Merino Aux input, sun protection glass, Bluetooth, Voice control

Originally Posted by ed1347' post='767336' date='Jan 14 2009, 04:41 AM
I wonder if anyone had this glitch on their M5 smg box before. I had a message the other day on the idrive, it said "Transmission failed, drive modestly, car will not start once it stop, please contact local bmw dealer". Then the auto mode disappeared, only manual mode could be used, but no 3rd gear. The next day, I tried to start the car, it went back to normal. Shall I give the dealer a call? or Wait till it happed again?
i had that exact same thing happen to me a year ago. no 3rd gear, drive moderately, car wont start again once you turn it off blah blah. got into a right panic and limped home. was in the evening so couldn't call the shop. got home. turned it off. started it again and all was fine. decided to leave it over the weekend and see if it came back before i would call dealer. one year on and nothing more has ever happened. no more glitches etc. and i never did call the dealer in the end.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JayEll' post='768466' date='Jan 15 2009, 11:46 AM
i had that exact same thing happen to me a year ago. no 3rd gear, drive moderately, car wont start again once you turn it off blah blah. got into a right panic and limped home. was in the evening so couldn't call the shop. got home. turned it off. started it again and all was fine. decided to leave it over the weekend and see if it came back before i would call dealer. one year on and nothing more has ever happened. no more glitches etc. and i never did call the dealer in the end.
I took mine in today, they found a fault on the transmission. will take it back next week to get it re-programmed, they told me that it may take a whole day to get it done. will keep u update.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ed1347' post='771469' date='Jan 19 2009, 01:22 PM
I took mine in today, they found a fault on the transmission. will take it back next week to get it re-programmed, they told me that it may take a whole day to get it done. will keep u update.

It really did take the whole day, 8hrs in total. The whole car was re-programmed, the smg box change gear smoother than before, esp. in auto mode. Idrive is in up to date colour, some new stuff appear first time on idrive, even the bluetooth function can now be connected to my sonyericsson xperia. I asked what happen if I didn't get it done. They said it might never be a problem, but better get it sorted before the warranty runs out.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 M5 - Silverstone II.

Originally Posted by ed1347' post='777999' date='Jan 27 2009, 01:36 AM
It really did take the whole day, 8hrs in total. The whole car was re-programmed, the smg box change gear smoother than before, esp. in auto mode. Idrive is in up to date colour, some new stuff appear first time on idrive, even the bluetooth function can now be connected to my sonyericsson xperia. I asked what happen if I didn't get it done. They said it might never be a problem, but better get it sorted before the warranty runs out.

I had mine re-programmed for a different fault and it took 2 days... Didn't notice any difference is gear change, idrive colour, extras options and the bluetooth still does not work with my Nokia e61i. Do you have any more details on this?
Old 02-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ArtofTravel' post='784997' date='Feb 4 2009, 06:40 PM
I had mine re-programmed for a different fault and it took 2 days... Didn't notice any difference is gear change, idrive colour, extras options and the bluetooth still does not work with my Nokia e61i. Do you have any more details on this?
The smg box used to be quite jerky or change up too quickly with auto in dynamic 1, esp when tried to pull away at roundabout, had to use manual mode all the time to avoid some embarassing monent. Now it just goes.
The idrive colour used to be orange, now is blue.
The multi-function seat appears as an option in idrive the first time, used to be just a button on the dash.
I think the xperia is newer than your e61i, even mine can be connected.
What year M5 do you have?