E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

A funny story about my M5 and my wife...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009 | 12:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Last year, I swapped my stock exhaust system for all 3 sections through RPI (HF Cats, X-Pipe, Cans/Tips). Prior to that, I only had their Pulleys, Scoops, BMC Filters and Block Off Plates installed. Before I go any further, I LOVE RPI and their products. My car is considerably quicker, faster and pulls harder since going with the RPI treatment. I also LOVE the sound that my car makes when under load. It's the way the car was meant to sound. I will never return back to stock, nor will I go with another company.

With that said, ever since I did this swap, my wife hates the M. In fact, she hates it more and more as each day and week passes. HATES! She used to love driving it when it was stock, but her distaste for the car grows worse and worse each and every time we pull the car out of the garage. What does she hate? How loud it is, especially at a cold start. LOL!

When I ordered this exhaust system, I talked to Joe and Eloy and knew this was going to be a concern, especially since I live in NY where it gets extremely "cold" during the winter. Let me just say that starting this car in the winter brings a whole new meaning to the term "cold start". Hahahahahahaha!

During install, we took down all the heat shields under the underbelly of the car. It was a major job and took a lot more time for install, but it was probably well worth it. We lined Dynomat under every section of the car, then remounted all the heat shields, then installed the exhaust system. This was to remove as much sound inside the cabin and keep it as close to stock as possible. Essentially, I was trying to make it "Wife Proof". Although I'm sure it made a BIG difference, I was only kidding myself for those on the outside. One crack of the window or sunroof and whomever is behind you is suddenly deaf. LOL!

My first concern was that my wife was going to notice the different exhaust tips. For one, I immediately had my exhaust (Section 3) powdercoated black when they arrived via UPS. If anything, I figured she would notice this immediately, once mounted, since the stock exhaust was chrome. Believe it or not, she didn't.

My next concern was what excuse I was going to use for the new sound. You see, when I got the M, the FIRST thing my wife told me was that I couldn't do an exhaust on this car. I did the magnaflow on my 530 and she HATED how that sounded. She thought it was so Asian. I had to remind her that she married a half breed and to watch the derogatory comments. Hahahahaha!

So with that, my wife STILL doesn't know that my car has a new exhaust system. I am not kidding.

So what does she think makes that sound? Well, I had to come up with something. Something she would know nothing about. It had to be something that was believable. A word or term that she knew nothing of, but sounded just about right. So with that, I told her it was the Pulleys! That's right, I pulled it out of my arse and she bought it! To this day, she still buys it and that's 5 months later, no less.

Everytime we get into the M (weekends only, since I don't drive the car during the week), she tells me over and over how she HATES the Pulleys and if I can swap the "Pulleys". "Pulleys this" and "Pulleys that" is all she talks about when we get in the car. I have to look outside the drivers window each and every time and just smile and laugh to myself.

This weekend she told me not to swap the "pulleys" in her X5 or I was a dead man. Hahahahahahaha!! LOL!!!!

She really has no idea. I was so sure that she would notice the exhaust when I first installed it. I am still amazed to this day that she still buys the "Pulleys" story and doesn't even ask.

Oh, and most recently she asked how much the roof spoiler cost, as she noticed this new addition that was finally mounted (it was only sitting in a box in my garage for the last 4 months. LOL! ). I told her $50. She said "Yeah right, I'm sure it was more like $100". (You're right honey, it was more like $100). Fortunately, she didn't even notice the rear diffuser that was installed the same day and which also sitting in my garage for 4 months too. But if she asks, I'll just tell her it was $25, or for her sake, $50. Bahahahahahaha!

Hail to the Pulleys! Thank you Pulleys! Thank you to the Pulley Gods! What would I do without you Pulleys?!?!?!
Old 03-30-2009 | 12:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='830909' date='Mar 30 2009, 03:31 PM
Last year, I swapped my stock exhaust system for all 3 sections through RPI (HF Cats, X-Pipe, Cans/Tips). Prior to that, I only had their Pulleys, Scoops, BMC Filters and Block Off Plates installed. Before I go any further, I LOVE RPI and their products. My car is considerably quicker, faster and pulls harder since going with the RPI treatment. I also LOVE the sound that my car makes when under load. It's the way the car was meant to sound. I will never return back to stock, nor will I go with another company.

With that said, ever since I did this swap, my wife hates the M. In fact, she hates it more and more as each day and week passes. HATES! She used to love driving it when it was stock, but her distaste for the car grows worse and worse each and every time we pull the car out of the garage. What does she hate? How loud it is, especially at a cold start. LOL!

When I ordered this exhaust system, I talked to Joe and Eloy and knew this was going to be a concern, especially since I live in NY where it gets extremely "cold" during the winter. Let me just say that starting this car brings a whole new meaning to the term "cold start". Hahahahahahaha!

During install, we took down all the heat shields under the underbelly of the car. It was a major job and took a lot more time for install, but it was probably well worth it. We lined Dynomat under every section of the car, then remounted all the heat shields, then installed the exhaust system. This was to remove as much sound inside the cabin and keep it as close to stock as possible. Although I'm sure it made a BIG difference, I was only kidding myself for those on the outside. One crack of the window or sunroof and whomever is behind you is suddenly deaf. LOL!

My first concern was that my wife was going to notice the different exhaust tips. For one, I immediately had my exhaust (Section 3) powdercoated black when they arrived via UPS. If anything, I figured she would notice this immediately, once mounted, since the exhaust was no longer chrome. Believe it or not, she didn't.

My next concern was what excuse I was going to use for the new sound. You see, when I got the M, the FIRST thing my wife told me was that I couldn't do an exhaust on this car. I did the magnaflow on my 530 and she HATED how that sounded. She thought it was so Asian. I had to remind her that she married a half breed and to watch the deragatory comments. Hahahahaha!

So with that, my wife STILL doesn't know that my car has a new exhaust system. I am not kidding.

So what does she think makes that sound? Well, I had to come up with something. Something she would know nothing about. I told her it was the pulleys! She totally bought it and still believe it to this day...5 months later that is.

Everytime we get into the M (weekends only, since I don't drive the car during the week), she tells me over and over how she HATES the Pulleys and if I can swap the "Pulleys". "Pulleys this" and "Pulleys that" is all she talks about when we get in the car. I have to look outside the drivers window each and every time and just smile and laugh to myself.

This weekend she told me not to swap the "pulleys" in her X5 or I was a dead man. Hahahahahahaha!! LOL!!!!

She really has no idea. I was so sure that she would notice the exhaust when I first installed it. I am still amazed to this day that she still buys the "Pulleys" story and doesn't even ask.

Oh, and most recently she asked how much the roof spoiler cost, as she noticed this new addition that was finally mounted (it was only sitting in a box in my garage for the last 4 months. LOL! ). I told her $50. She said "Yeah right, I'm sure it was more like $100". Hahahahaha! Fortunately, she didn't even notice the rear diffuser that was installed the same day and which also sitting in my garage for 4 months. But if she asks, I'll just tell her it was $25, or for her sake, $50.

Moral to the story you ask? When your wife thinks you bought a new exhaust, tell her it was the Pulleys for $50 and leave it at that. End of story!

cliffs
Old 03-30-2009 | 12:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Gotta be quick on your feet.
Old 03-30-2009 | 12:38 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Old 03-30-2009 | 12:46 PM
Contributors

lol uhuh

having to hide shit from your wife?

just tell her its either this or strip clubs and drugs
Old 03-30-2009 | 12:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 (01/05 Build) Titanium Silver Metallic 530i, Black Dakota Leather Interior w/Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Cold, Premium & Sport Packages, Steptronic, Bluetooth MODS: OEM 166's (M5 Offset) on General's (245/35 & 275/30), 15mm H&R Spacers, Auxiliary Audio Input, 6000K Xenon Headlights and Matching HID Fogs, AIB v3.0, SprintBooster, OEM LED License Plate Bulbs, Smoked LED Side Markers, Matte Black Kidney Grills

lmao dood!!!

do tell what happens when your wife stumbles across this thread
Old 03-30-2009 | 12:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

reading this thread made me LOL in my office, I used to try stuff like that with my wife but I'm a terrible lier and she would always see right through it.
Old 03-30-2009 | 12:55 PM
Senior Members

Loudest pullies EVAR!
Old 03-30-2009 | 12:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by Idonkare' post='830936
reading this thread made me LOL in my office, I used to try stuff like that with my wife but I'm a terrible lier and she would always see right through it.
I will say that holding it in is EXTREMELY difficult. When she is not around, I burst out into uncontrollable laughter. I then pat myself on the back and tell myself how cool I am. I then proceed to PM Joe at Trinity and buy another item for my car.

Originally Posted by NobleForums' post='830948' date='Mar 30 2009, 04:55 PM
Loudest pullies EVAR!
LOL! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! RPI makes the best pullies EVA!!!!
Old 03-30-2009 | 12:58 PM
Contributors

thats that happens when your married C we have to lie about all these little things, i had to tell my wife that with bmws you have to change rotors at every brake pad change it was time for new rotors just for that i could get drilled // slotted ones =] lmaooooo

Quick Reply: A funny story about my M5 and my wife...