E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

E60 M5 or 997 911 S/Cab?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again it all depends on what you want, and knowing what you're getting before you make the decision. I knew what the 911 was when I bought it, and based on that it meets my expectation and I use it as a daily driver. It is raw and rough, but I knew that going in so was not put in any sort of inconvinence with it. Now if I was expeting it to ride like a 5 series, and perform like a 911 I would be pissed. It is about knowing what you want and knowing what you will get out of the car. If you want something very comfortable as a daily driver then the 911 is probably not what you want. Although the seats are quite comfortable it is loud with road/engine noise, and doesn't offer options like satellite radio(yet). If you do not need the 4 seats, and do not mind the extra noise and rough ride and want a coupe then I would go with the 911. See? These cars serve very different needs and meet very different criteria. They really are not in the same class at all other than they are built in Germany, and are fast.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:13 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by silver bullet' post='241937' date='Feb 17 2006, 01:04 PM
Again it all depends on what you want, and knowing what you're getting before you make the decision. I knew what the 911 was when I bought it, and based on that it meets my expectation and I use it as a daily driver. It is raw and rough, but I knew that going in so was not put in any sort of inconvinence with it. Now if I was expeting it to ride like a 5 series, and perform like a 911 I would be pissed. It is about knowing what you want and knowing what you will get out of the car. If you want something very comfortable as a daily driver then the 911 is probably not what you want. Although the seats are quite comfortable it is loud with road/engine noise, and doesn't offer options like satellite radio(yet). If you do not need the 4 seats, and do not mind the extra noise and rough ride and want a coupe then I would go with the 911. See? These cars serve very different needs and meet very different criteria. They really are not in the same class at all other than they are built in Germany, and are fast.
Agree with what you said, with one modification. I drove my Carrera as a daily driver for several years, until my 2 kids got too big to comfortably fit in the back seats. So as a daily driver it's a great car, but if you need to put someone older than 10 in the back seat, it's not good for more than a few miles!

Oh, yeah...and the stock exhaust was too quiet for me, so I got the Porsche sport exhaust!
Old 03-09-2006, 04:44 PM
Members

My Ride: At sea: 2005 545i sport, SMG, cold weather, Logic 7, nav, HUD, heated rear seats, sat prep - black sapphire

Although I absolutely love the 997, I would go for the M5 as a daily driver. Beyond the M's absurd power and performance, it also has a stealth factor that the 997 will never have.

If you want people to know how much money you have, get the 997. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but you won't exactly "blend in" with the background.

If you want a car that isn't conspicuous when you pick up the kids from school, but can then blow the doors off nearly any "performance" car on the planet, speak softly and carry the big M stick.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:28 AM
Members

I have both a 996 (C4S Cab) and 550i right now. They are totally different cars.

The 550 is a luxury cruiser that has a decent bit of sportiness and power.

The C4S is more of a pure drivers car - not much luxury, not much comfort, and less power than the 550i - but it is like driving a go cart - the thing handles like it is on rails, starts quick, brakes fast, and while a manual may not be so much fun in stop and go traffic - it is extremely fun and ideal for the overall driving experience - regardless if an SMG is faster or more efficient - the manual 6 speed is required equipment.

If you live where there are some semi open roads, preferrable with lots of curves - and do not need it for family transport - get the Porsche - every single time you drive it - your face is plastered with a big ol grin - never fails.

Well that is my overpriced 2 cents anyways.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Targatim' post='241597' date='Feb 16 2006, 08:26 PM
bought a 6 speed 997S. Also bought a 530xi for family use.

This would be good solution.

Ideal for me would be 997 gt3, M3 sedan, Audi S8. But it all goes back to that damn budget thing.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

Originally Posted by kirkB' post='256387' date='Mar 17 2006, 01:28 PM
I have both a 996 (C4S Cab) and 550i right now. They are totally different cars.

The 550 is a luxury cruiser that has a decent bit of sportiness and power.

The C4S is more of a pure drivers car - not much luxury, not much comfort, and less power than the 550i - but it is like driving a go cart - the thing handles like it is on rails, starts quick, brakes fast, and while a manual may not be so much fun in stop and go traffic - it is extremely fun and ideal for the overall driving experience - regardless if an SMG is faster or more efficient - the manual 6 speed is required equipment.

If you live where there are some semi open roads, preferrable with lots of curves - and do not need it for family transport - get the Porsche - every single time you drive it - your face is plastered with a big ol grin - never fails.

Well that is my overpriced 2 cents anyways.

Thats a great point. Whats the use of a Porsche if you live in the city with no curves and stop and go traffic everywhere? You got to do a road trip just to enjoy 10 minutes of 100k.