E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Drove M5 yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 05:19 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I went to the Performance Center yesterday, and had the opportunity to drive the new M5 on the track.

Holy crap that thing is faster than I had even imagined.

But the most impressive aspect, for me... was the steering. The feel of the steering was perfect. So responsive and light feeling. It made the car feel like it was light as a feather. I now understand why Active Steering is not available. I wish my 545 steering felt like that M.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='212682' date='Dec 17 2005, 06:19 PM
I went to the Performance Center yesterday, and had the opportunity to drive the new M5 on the track.

But the most impressive aspect, for me... was the steering. The feel of the steering was perfect. So responsive and light feeling. It made the car feel like it was light as a feather. I now understand why Active Steering is not available. I wish my 545 steering felt like that M.
Well, you didn't pay over 90K for your 545, so perhaps that's why the M might just feel a little bit better.....!

(actually, I would have really have liked to have seen an M version of the AS, with adjustable settings)
Old 12-17-2005, 06:13 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='212683

Well, you didn't pay over 90K for your 545, so perhaps that's why the M might just feel a little bit better.....!

(actually, I would have really have liked to have seen an M version of the AS, with adjustable settings)
[/quote]
Blah blah blah M AS adjustable....

Why need AS?!?? Oh yeah to park the m5 better
Old 12-17-2005, 07:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='212682' date='Dec 17 2005, 09:19 PM

I'll bet you had a great time. What are the requirements for going to the center and driving an M5?
Old 12-17-2005, 09:53 PM
Senior Members

I drove an M5 about 6 weeks ago & I share your sentiments.

Really incredible!!

Just took some time getting the SMG gear shifts to be smooth irrespective of the shift speed selection. But it can be done.

I must admit the "auto" mode is really jerky & I doubt it would get used much by most owners.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Man LUCKY!!!! I want an M5...
Old 12-17-2005, 10:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='212687
Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='212682' date='Dec 17 2005, 06:19 PM

Blah blah blah M AS adjustable....

Why need AS?!?? Oh yeah to park the m5 better
[/quote]

Old 12-18-2005, 04:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

What are the requirements for going to the center and driving an M5?
I was at the Performance Center to pick up my parents' new 325i.

As part of performance delivery, they include a driving school session with their instructor.
Before my session, the instructor asked which kind of car I was getting... . and I told him, I'm picking up a 325 for mom & dad... but I have a 545i SMG.

He said.... ohhhh... we'll have to take you out in the M5 then.

So, we went out to the skidpad first. I drove a 3 series on that. Got the feel for drifting.
Then we went to the dry track, and worked on some drifting in corners there.
Then I switched over and drove the M5 on the dry track, and lastly... I got in the passenger seat while the instructor drove the M5 on the track. Obviously, he was a lot better with it than me.... but it was a lot of fun to see what he could do with the car.

I was just so impressed with how light the car felt. My car just feels like a heavy pig by comparison now.
I was starting to have my worries about the M5 not having active steering... but not anymore. Servotronic steering is amazing.

My name is still on the M5 list at my dealer, so hopefully I can order one in a few months. If so, I'll do Performance Delivery again, I think.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='212782' date='Dec 18 2005, 08:27 AM
What are the requirements for going to the center and driving an M5?
I was at the Performance Center to pick up my parents' new 325i.

As part of performance delivery, they include a driving school session with their instructor.
Before my session, the instructor asked which kind of car I was getting... . and I told him, I'm picking up a 325 for mom & dad... but I have a 545i SMG.

He said.... ohhhh... we'll have to take you out in the M5 then.

So, we went out to the skidpad first. I drove a 3 series on that. Got the feel for drifting.
Then we went to the dry track, and worked on some drifting in corners there.
Then I switched over and drove the M5 on the dry track, and lastly... I got in the passenger seat while the instructor drove the M5 on the track. Obviously, he was a lot better with it than me.... but it was a lot of fun to see what he could do with the car.

I was just so impressed with how light the car felt. My car just feels like a heavy pig by comparison now.
I was starting to have my worries about the M5 not having active steering... but not anymore. Servotronic steering is amazing.

My name is still on the M5 list at my dealer, so hopefully I can order one in a few months. If so, I'll do Performance Delivery again, I think.
Thanks for the reply sF. Very cool. I would like an M5, but not until the manual gets here. No SMG for me.