E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

DMS upgrade for e60 M5

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008 | 05:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F10 M5 DMS RE-MAP 770BHP All Black

Originally Posted by Cyrus' post='651418' date='Aug 21 2008, 06:10 AM
Hi BMW M5.

I do have a bit of an issue with the power claims. I personally think the DMS software is very good having sampled it myself on various cars.

Over quoting power claims is something that goes on alot. Companies have been getting away with it ever since tuning engines started.

The E46 M3 is another example. Adding 30 bhp to one of these with a remap alone is IMPOSSIBLE. You can do what you want it just isn't going to happen.

The software from DMS on the E60 M5 is going to make a considerable difference to the way the car drives and the proof is from the reviews. Everyone simply cannot be wrong.

The power claim however is fiction.

Please note that I have no bad feelings with DMS whatso ever. I just have an issue with the claims which have been proven to be over inflated and given that much bigger tuners around the globe are all saying 20bhp is pretty much the limit.

The V10 engine with it's incredibly sophisticated ECU just do not have that sort of headroom built in as far as peak top end power is concerned.

The gains are there under part load conditions to really awaken the V10 with some extra torque and power under full load. Anymore and you'll need a whole host of other modifications.
Cyrus,

Thanks for your feedback, Im just a little confused as to why DMS wpuld make a claim which was untrue when they are such a reputable company with, as you say, and I agree such a good feed back from their customers.

I for one had this done a week last Tuesday at my premises up north and the performance before and after seems imense, I have not had the time or the space/weather to put the car to its full test but I would not have expected to improove its overall performance on a bhp upgrade of say just 20...................ill stand corrected!

There must be a hell of alot of dissatisfied customers with DMS if this is the case, I certainly are not one of them, and as they were highly recommended in all major mags and forums this swayed my decision to go with them, so, "the proof is in the pudding" as they say!!
Old 08-21-2008 | 06:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BMW M5' post='651428' date='Aug 21 2008, 09:38 AM
Cyrus,

Thanks for your feedback, Im just a little confused as to why DMS wpuld make a claim which was untrue when they are such a reputable company with, as you say, and I agree such a good feed back from their customers.

I for one had this done a week last Tuesday at my premises up north and the performance before and after seems imense, I have not had the time or the space/weather to put the car to its full test but I would not have expected to improove its overall performance on a bhp upgrade of say just 20...................ill stand corrected!

There must be a hell of alot of dissatisfied customers with DMS if this is the case, I certainly are not one of them, and as they were highly recommended in all major mags and forums this swayed my decision to go with them, so, "the proof is in the pudding" as they say!!
Hi,

congrats on getting your M5 remapped. Like all of the others your more than impressed.

I doubt you will find even one upset customer given how the cars drive afterwards.

However, those that had had their cars tested on a dyno before and after were not happy with the 'figures'.

Those that have had experiences of highly tuning their cars in the past have all come back and said that the gain is certainly not that much. Better throttle response, better response time, more part throttle /part load power from ignition advance and lighter fuelling will give some very positive results. It will transform the way the engine delivers it's power.

If you do a search you'll find alot of people who share the same view as me. People with a real understanding of the dynamics of an engine and it's ability to give more power under both test and real world conditions. In alot of people's eyes DMS have let themselves down by over quoting.

I'll go back to me E46 M3 example (engine also shared by Z4M). There have been a large number of cases where individuals have had a DMS upgrade done and had a dyno session booked in before and after at somewhere that offers no engine tuning at all. The figures have been nowhere near what was quoted.

In the USA, big big highly reputable companies have been caught out over quoting figures. Less and less companies are getting away with it. Internet forums have played a large role in all of this.

I will say again, I am only pointing out one thing and one thing only here - the BHP claims are not possible.

Should you get your M5 remapped - YES
Will it make a considerable difference - YES
Should you go to DMS who have a huge reputation with these cars - YES
Should you expect a genuine + 40 bhp - NO.
What should you expect - 15-20bhp peak.
Should you stop going to DMS because this has been lighted so much now - NO - just beware there is a certain element of marketing going on.
Old 08-21-2008 | 06:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F10 M5 DMS RE-MAP 770BHP All Black

Many thanks for taking the time to explain
Old 08-21-2008 | 08:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BMW M5' post='651458' date='Aug 21 2008, 09:33 AM
Many thanks for taking the time to explain
No problems.

Why don't two members here venture down to Surrey Rolling Road with a stock and remapped M5 and get a dyno session booked in?

Surrey Rolling Road are totally independant and their dyno graphs carry probably the most weight in the country.

It would show what the gain really is.
Old 08-21-2008 | 02:27 PM
Members

My Ride: Black E60 M5

I've never been a huge fan of rolling roads as its trying replicate how the car performs. I don't hinks its possible to replicate the air intakes on a dyno. The correct measure of horse power should be from output with respect to weight. I'm no expert so I could be talking out of my exhaust.

I guess the mapping really makes the car more driveable removing much of the safe over fuelling to protect the engine.
Old 08-21-2008 | 02:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Yeah Man' post='651772' date='Aug 21 2008, 05:27 PM
I've never been a huge fan of rolling roads as its trying replicate how the car performs. I don't hinks its possible to replicate the air intakes on a dyno. The correct measure of horse power should be from output with respect to weight. I'm no expert so I could be talking out of my exhaust.

I guess the mapping really makes the car more driveable removing much of the safe over fuelling to protect the engine.
Good points.

Surrey Rolling road seem to have very close to stock figures from an M5 on their dyno. Cooling and airflow doesn't look like it's an issue if they are consistently doing that there.
Old 08-23-2008 | 09:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 M5/SMG (LCI) Interlagos Blue/Black Merino Aux input, sun protection glass, Bluetooth, Voice control

hi all
well i spent a whole day (and more to come) with Evolve in Luton. They use a Dyno Dynamics rolling road there, plus they are not contracted in to one tuner, therefore have a few different maps to try out. Besides enjoying myself spending time with the lads from Evolve for the day, it was VERY enlightening regarding what you CAN actually get out of this engine in terms of gains. Each map turned up around 10hp (flywheel) gains. A couple even took power down (ouch). They can't tell you which ones they are using, or which one you end up with .. but i can tell you the result was around 12-14hp, and a similar gain in torque figures. But as Cyrus quite rightly says, there's a LOT of CG graphs out there. The guys showed me how easy it was to do it. Just simply adjusting the intake temp on the setting gave me a read out of peak power at 575hp ... hahaha. while i liked the graph, it simply isn't true. i've got further (free) development booked in with these guys as they reckon with a bit more tinkering, they hope to get it closer to a 20hp gain. we shall see. the throttle remap alone is worth it though, as what ever pressure is applied to the loud pedal, is perfectly recreated by the engine. when you hit the floor, your head hits the back of the head restraint immediately .. i can DEFINITELY feel the gains. fantastic car to drive now. makes me giggle every time i take it out. i have to say though, that it's RUINED my mpg.. not because of a bad remap, but simply because i can't stop myself from hitting the pedal !!!
the guys at Evolve did say however, that the DMS remap IS a very good map. just that the claims are too high. and they understand why they, and most others, do it .. simply to get the business in the door. claiming power gains of 10+hp would perhaps make people think "why bother" .. but it IS worth bothering, who ever you go with (as long as they are reputable).
they gave me print outs of my graphs, and JPGs too which i will post in time. however, due to my local filling station being closed the morning of the tune, i had to fill up with 97ron, which they said really affected what they could do that day as the knock sensors wouldn't let them go any further. they said that v-power (Shell @ 99ron) is easily the best fuel to use. they said that they've seen power diffs of 10hp just from using v-power over ultimate (BP). on the 97ron, they (and other tuners) say that the stock car will be pushing out between 490 and 500hp (mine pushed out 494.5hp), but on v-power you will get your stock figure of 507hp. i floored it home and used up that tank of fuel (97ron) and happily filled it up with v-power. after another 1/2 tank the car REALLY started picking up. and the remap came alive. VERY VERY happy bunny! as my graphs are based on the 97ron, i'm going to go back and get them all done with v-power to get a true reading of what my peak power now is. they took it from 494.5hp, to 508.8hp (+14.3). it feels more torquier lower down too which is very welcoming.
just to prove the point again, quoting these massive gains just can't be true as when one map they used kicked out too much torque, they SMG just simply said "no way" .. so that had to be taken off straight away.
so if we base the numbers off using stock power at 507hp (using 99ron), add the 14.3 gain that i've got and i should have 521.3hp now. i'm happy with that.

to sum up. worth doing, but be realistic about the gains you will see. i paid ?999 inc vat, and think that a fair price for what i got.