E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

DMS upgrade for e60 M5

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 E60 M5/SMG (LCI) Interlagos Blue/Black Merino Aux input, sun protection glass, Bluetooth, Voice control

Originally Posted by Yeah Man' post='644817' date='Aug 12 2008, 05:39 PM
So the DMS is remap only or was there any hardware changes involved?

I'll love to see in person what the difference is. ?1500 for a extra 50 hp and drivability sounds ok.

Anyone in the London area got one they want to show off?
just remap yes. closer to 40hp hike. DMS quote 548hp for their remapped S85 engine. delimit. and the peak torque is introduced lower down the rev range.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:20 AM
Members

My Ride: Black E60 M5

Does anyone know of any other reputable tuners for the M5 in the UK? DMS has popped up a few times when looking at threads but would be nice to see what the others offer etc.

BMW M5

I guess you left for work early and got in late!
Old 08-13-2008, 02:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F10 M5 DMS RE-MAP 770BHP All Black
Smile

Not really had the chance to give it a good blow through yet but , it certainly has made a big difference through the gears even though traffic last night and this morning restricted my fun.

Will have another play tonight traffic permitting, but early thoughts are very promising, ill keep you posted.

All I have heard about was DMS so that is why I plumbed for them, all the mags seem to go with them too and information gained from Forum Members made my decision easier.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:49 PM
Members

The E60 M5 does not gain 41 bhp from just remapping the ECU. It is simply not possible.

You'll not find one dyno graph which is not computer generated anywhere.

Ignoring the figures, the E60 M5 is well worth remapping. Changes made to the throttle maps and a light increase in ignition timing gives the E60 M5 quite a considerable increase in response time and part throttle torque/power.

Under wide open throttle the E60 M5 will gain a small amount of torque through the rpm range and a realistic 10-20 bhp above 6500rpm.

The power delivery will also be smoother.

Infact, the difference is great enough that you'd believe that there was an additional 40 odd bhp there. The reviews are good for a reason.

Well worth doing from a reputable company.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I've heard that the DMS Remap is not all that it lives up to. According to their site, they are saying 543HP and a top speed of 205mph. Hahahaha! That's just nuts! I doubt that's true though.

I'm going to just get the remap done locally. For one, it'll be cheaper and two, the gains will probably be marginal, compared to that of DMS. I could be wrong though...
Old 08-20-2008, 02:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='651062' date='Aug 20 2008, 05:55 PM
I've heard that the DMS Remap is not all that it lives up to. According to their site, they are saying 543HP and a top speed of 205mph. Hahahaha! That's just nuts! I doubt that's true though.

I'm going to just get the remap done locally. For one, it'll be cheaper and two, the gains will probably be marginal, compared to that of DMS. I could be wrong though...
The Active Autowerke ECU upgrade on the E60 M5 promises realistic gains of around 15-20 bhp ontop of cars with the charcoal filters removed. That's pretty much the top limit of what can be done.

Checkout Turner Motorsport aswell. Again, giving realistic gains of around 25bhp with removal of the pre CATs.

DMS are notorious for massively over quoting power claims. Sometimes I can see it from their point of view - if they quoted +15-20 bhp then hardly anyone would go for the upgrade. It's not right but they are obviously getting away with it.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Members

My Ride: Black E60 M5

Valid points about power gains. However someone needs to provide graphs before they question tuners claims. If someone has this it'll be an interesting read.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Yeah Man' post='651106' date='Aug 20 2008, 06:31 PM
Valid points about power gains. However someone needs to provide graphs before they question tuners claims. If someone has this it'll be an interesting read.
I have been searching for power graphs for quite some time now and it seems that there just aren't that many out there. The only DMS one I found was of an upgrade that was carried out in USA. The rwhp only went up by 10. 31bhp got lost somewhere.

Turner motorsport Stage II

Racing Dynamics
http://www.racdyn.com/Localized/NorthAmeri...(Stock)_RDS.jpg

These guys spend huge amounts of money on research and development. They build very serious cars with highly uprated engines. They quote an absolute max of 23bhp.

Most of the realistic tuners are quoting around this figure as a maximum.

What will interest alot of you is that DMS do not base their bhp claims on dyno figures (be it chassis or engine). The end figure is based on a calculation which takes into account the weight of a car and how fast it accelerates from speed x to speed y.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F10 M5 DMS RE-MAP 770BHP All Black

Originally Posted by Cyrus' post='651135' date='Aug 20 2008, 04:45 PM
I have been searching for power graphs for quite some time now and it seems that there just aren't that many out there. The only DMS one I found was of an upgrade that was carried out in USA. The rwhp only went up by 10. 31bhp got lost somewhere.

Turner motorsport Stage II

Racing Dynamics
http://www.racdyn.com/Localized/NorthAmeri...(Stock)_RDS.jpg

These guys spend huge amounts of money on research and development. They build very serious cars with highly uprated engines. They quote an absolute max of 23bhp.

Most of the realistic tuners are quoting around this figure as a maximum.

What will interest alot of you is that DMS do not base their bhp claims on dyno figures (be it chassis or engine). The end figure is based on a calculation which takes into account the weight of a car and how fast it accelerates from speed x to speed y.
You seem to have bee in your bonnet regarding DMS, Im not saying what youve quoted is incorrect but surely DMS would not be able to quote their gains if it were not true, can I ask a couple of questions, are you UK based and in the "tuning industry".

Im not saying a "newbie" should not have knowledge of remapping before he comes on this board, but you seem quite factual on your quotes??
Old 08-21-2008, 05:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BMW M5' post='651338' date='Aug 21 2008, 03:34 AM
You seem to have bee in your bonnet regarding DMS, Im not saying what youve quoted is incorrect but surely DMS would not be able to quote their gains if it were not true, can I ask a couple of questions, are you UK based and in the "tuning industry".

Im not saying a "newbie" should not have knowledge of remapping before he comes on this board, but you seem quite factual on your quotes??
Hi BMW M5.

I do have a bit of an issue with the power claims. I personally think the DMS software is very good having sampled it myself on various cars.

Over quoting power claims is something that goes on alot. Companies have been getting away with it ever since tuning engines started.

The E46 M3 is another example. Adding 30 bhp to one of these with a remap alone is IMPOSSIBLE. You can do what you want it just isn't going to happen.

The software from DMS on the E60 M5 is going to make a considerable difference to the way the car drives and the proof is from the reviews. Everyone simply cannot be wrong.

The power claim however is fiction.

Please note that I have no bad feelings with DMS whatso ever. I just have an issue with the claims which have been proven to be over inflated and given that much bigger tuners around the globe are all saying 20bhp is pretty much the limit.

The V10 engine with it's incredibly sophisticated ECU just do not have that sort of headroom built in as far as peak top end power is concerned.

The gains are there under part load conditions to really awaken the V10 with some extra torque and power under full load. Anymore and you'll need a whole host of other modifications.

Quick Reply: DMS upgrade for e60 M5