E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

cls 55 amg beating an m5 from start

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 04:10 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

Exactly, you have no idea what I can and can't afford. And it isn't about that and don't see why it should be just because I don't like Mercedes. I was just expressing my opinion. I thought we could do that here. It's about the fact that I have been in numerous Mercedes over the years, have looked at the CLS (as my neighbor just got one) and have ridden in AMG models. I just think BMW is a better OVERALL package. I really think BMW is a better looking car, any model compared to any model Merc.

Sorry to ramble, but JMHO. That's why I love this board!!
Old 01-12-2006, 05:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Jeffs' post='222961' date='Jan 11 2006, 06:24 PM
I'm not surprised at all that the CLS beats the M5....383lbft vs. 516 lbft of torque does make a huge difference. I love both cars...and if given enough cash to choose one I wouldnt know what to choose...

Now....if only the M5 has an extra 100 lb ft of torque
Exactly.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='223141
Originally Posted by sixsticks' post='222980' date='Jan 11 2006, 07:06 PM
Love this site cause we do have very opinionated members!

You will need to spend a lot more money to equal or better the performance of an M5.
My 02 Z06 will at least keep up with an M5 in any type of race, and the new Z06 is much less expensive than an M5 and will beat it in any type of race with ease.

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='222968
In the end. Mercedes is still garbage.
Absolutely!

[/quote]

Znod, "yeah, but the M5 is more than . . . " How about we somehow supercharge that V10. Now that, I want to see everybody will be doing this . . . Attachment 14206
[/quote]
Yes, I know the M5 is about way more than acceleration, handling, and feel. A supercharged V10 would be dandy, but the Viper doesn't need a supercharger for super torque.

Really, I think the M5 is a very neat car. We probably should just realize that is is not the best at all things, in relation to all its peers, in its current iteration. I emphasize that it does everything very well though. I mentioned my race-an-M5 fantasy before. In this regard, while not to take to the strip, I do think sometimes seriously about getting an absolute stripper M5 with a manual tranny--because of its excellent performance and outstanding looks. I don't think anything, in its sedan peer group, looks better. And, I go back and forth between liking the M5 better than the M6. I wish BMW offerred an optional lower rear end. It would still go 155 with any realistic rear end I would bet. "Oh, I can't drive 155."

We discussed bang for the buck before. Do you remember ipse d's thread on the M5 being a bargain? I believe it is an incredible bargain especially if one can resist adding options.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:53 AM
Senior Members

I'm tired of this discussion of mb vs bmw. For all mb fanatics, if u love so much mb then why do u stay here on this bmw board? Just to start fires from time to time...?
Old 01-12-2006, 07:24 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='223281' date='Jan 12 2006, 10:53 AM
I'm tired of this discussion of mb vs bmw. For all mb fanatics, if u love so much mb then why do u stay here on this bmw board? Just to start fires from time to time...?
It's possible and reasonable to like more than one brand of car, own a BMW, be on this board, not be commited to BMW for all time, and enjoy discsussing various cars' strengths, weaknesses and features, right? I don't think that being on a BMW board and owning a BMW implies, for example, undying allegiance/devotion to BMW, throwing objectivity to the winds, etc., etc. Note that I am not saying that you do these things, but I think that some believe that doing these things is implied by being on a BMW board and owning a BMW.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='223281
In the end. Mercedes is still garbage.

if thats expressing an opinion, what if i said you were stupid ? is that an opinion,
founded on numerous tests, drives in other peoples cars and so on and so on...
not really.

Also i assume that you would trade up to a 550i if money were no problem

Originally Posted by Znod' post='223293
It's possible and reasonable to like more than one brand of car, own a BMW, be on this board, not be commited to BMW for all time, and enjoy discsussing various cars' strengths, weaknesses and features, right? I don't think that being on a BMW board and owning a BMW implies, for example, undying allegiance/devotion to BMW, throwing objectivity to the winds, etc., etc. Note that I am not saying that you do these things, but I think that some believe that doing these things is implied by being on a BMW board and owning a BMW.
[/quote]

man i respect your way of contributing here... not-commited as you could ever
be with any brand
Old 01-12-2006, 07:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Jeffs' post='222961' date='Jan 11 2006, 05:24 PM
I'm not surprised at all that the CLS beats the M5....383lbft vs. 516 lbft of torque does make a huge difference. I love both cars...and if given enough cash to choose one I wouldnt know what to choose...

So that BMW had to make a heavier diff and a heavier gearbox etc., to handle all the torque......

High revving concept with lighter parts.....
Old 01-12-2006, 07:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cidair' post='223306

So that BMW had to make a heavier diff and a heavier gearbox etc., to handle all the torque......

High revving concept with lighter parts.....
[/quote]

sure... but why not make an m5 csl with more torque , better diff (not heavier but with more expensive components) ... and throw away the 500kg cabin , and install csl style plush seats with no adjustment
Old 01-12-2006, 08:07 AM
Senior Members

M6 CSL will be very interesting, if it will hit production.

Maybe too expensive, but anyway very fast.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 700700' post='223301

simply because some of us are "unfortunate" enough to own 4 bmws (one is getting sold thou) and a merc... so we kinda fit into both camps

Originally Posted by SolarFactory' post='222891
Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='223281' date='Jan 12 2006, 10:53 AM

man i respect your way of contributing here... not-commited as you could ever
be with any brand
[/quote]
Thank you for your expression of appreciation 700700.

Quick Reply: cls 55 amg beating an m5 from start