E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Changing the kidney grills?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 11:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Have anyone tried to change the grills on a M5? I?m changing them because the chrome is falling off!!
I?m not able to take the car to the dealer because it is off register for the winter.

I tried yesterday, after reading the many threads in the DYI forum, but was not able to reach the back side of the grills ( to open the clips ). I could not get enough space to squeeze my hand behind.

Any ideas? Do I have to remove the whole front bumper installation?
Old 01-10-2007, 01:50 AM
Members

My Ride: My Drive ……X5 3.0d Sport 2004, Sunroof, 6 Speed Auto, SATNAV, TV, Blue Tooth, Sterling Grey, Beige Leather, Folding Mirrors, Auto Dipping Mirrors, 6 CD, Poplar Wood Interior, Sun Protection Glass, Comfort Screen, Heated Seats. My Drive…… 530d Sport (E61) 2005, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, Auto, Comfort Seats, Panoramic Sun Roof, SATNAV Professional, 6 CD, ( Media Pack), Bi- Xenon’s Adaptive, Headlight Washers,Folding Mirrors, Sun Blinds, Sun Protection Glass, Advanced Air Conditioning / Heating, Blue Tooth with integrated Phone. Other Half’s Drive….318 Ci Sport, 2005, Graphite Grey, Red Leather, Full Sports Pack. Three sayings that can help with life “Shy boys get nothing” “You are confusing me with someone who gives a damn” “If you want a friend buy a dog”

The best method is on the following link http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...l=grill+removal but if you have tried this and cannot get your hands to the lower and side clips. I suggest buying a hooked screwdriver or similar tool that will allow you to get behind the clips and prise the plastic clips down. As you are releasing all of the clips you need to keep pulling the grill forward so the clips do not re-engage. Take one grill out (suggest the right hand side, if you are right handed) at a time, when that grill is out you just put your hand through the opening and the clips on the other grill are then all easily accessed.
How do I know this? I have just done mine and had the same problem as you are having. Good Luck it does work. No need to remove the bumper.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:12 AM
Senior Members

Ok thanks, it seems like that should work.

The only thing that concerns me is that it feels like I?m going to break the bumper assembly, when I pull it forward.
When I tried it, I was only able to open up a 1 inch gap before it felt uncomfortable ( plastic maybe breaking? ).
Old 01-10-2007, 07:30 AM
Members

My Ride: My Drive ……X5 3.0d Sport 2004, Sunroof, 6 Speed Auto, SATNAV, TV, Blue Tooth, Sterling Grey, Beige Leather, Folding Mirrors, Auto Dipping Mirrors, 6 CD, Poplar Wood Interior, Sun Protection Glass, Comfort Screen, Heated Seats. My Drive…… 530d Sport (E61) 2005, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, Auto, Comfort Seats, Panoramic Sun Roof, SATNAV Professional, 6 CD, ( Media Pack), Bi- Xenon’s Adaptive, Headlight Washers,Folding Mirrors, Sun Blinds, Sun Protection Glass, Advanced Air Conditioning / Heating, Blue Tooth with integrated Phone. Other Half’s Drive….318 Ci Sport, 2005, Graphite Grey, Red Leather, Full Sports Pack. Three sayings that can help with life “Shy boys get nothing” “You are confusing me with someone who gives a damn” “If you want a friend buy a dog”

Originally Posted by cidair' post='376291' date='Jan 10 2007, 01:12 PM
Ok thanks, it seems like that should work.

The only thing that concerns me is that it feels like I?m going to break the bumper assembly, when I pull it forward.
When I tried it, I was only able to open up a 1 inch gap before it felt uncomfortable ( plastic maybe breaking? ).
I could only get mine open about 1" which is why I used the bent screwdriver to access the clips from the front of the car not by going behind the bumper, in some ways the need to pull the bumper forward is negated by using the hook, but I used a combination of both methods.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jagman' post='376348' date='Jan 10 2007, 10:30 AM
I could only get mine open about 1" which is why I used the bent screwdriver to access the clips from the front of the car not by going behind the bumper, in some ways the need to pull the bumper forward is negated by using the hook, but I used a combination of both methods.

Ok, now I understand how you did it! Thanks a lot!!

Takes some time to understand............... getting old I suppose?
Old 02-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Members

Originally Posted by cidair' post='376430' date='Jan 10 2007, 11:47 AM
Ok, now I understand how you did it! Thanks a lot!!

Takes some time to understand............... getting old I suppose?
I am installing wiremesh so I removed mine and saved them. I opened the hood and removed all the black pieces at the hood latch area so I could get my hands down in behind. Took only about 10 minutes with an allen wrench to remove the parts and reinstall and no risk to the grille.